PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Water bill been put up and water butt now empty!

Options
cheel
cheel Posts: 195 Forumite
edited 21 July 2016 at 9:12PM in Old style MoneySaving
Hello,

So today south west water have raised my monthly direct debit to £34. And I've just used the last of my water butt contents to water the garden.

Water saving measure I already implement:

Hippo in the cistern
Re filling the cistern with bathwater as often as I can
Using water butt for watering garden, and will now be siphoning off bathwater for that
shallow baths

I do one load in the washing machine a day and one day a week 2 loads, so 8 a week. Machine is A rated

I handwash dishes.

My friend watched the meter for me with all taps ect off and it didn't move so don't think its a leak

I know south west water are the most expensive in the country.

Any suggestions on how I can cut this bill down?

Thanks

Cheel xx
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent - Eleanor Roosevelt

May grocery challenge £7.58 / £200

May no spend days: 1st , 2nd, 3rd

Comments

• ash28
    ash28 Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    cheel wrote: »
    Hello,

So today south west water have raised my monthly direct debit to £34. And I've just used the last of my water butt contents to water the garden.

Water saving measure I already implement:

Hippo in the cistern
    Re filling the cistern with bathwater as often as I can
    Using water butt for watering garden, and will now be siphoning off bathwater for that
    shallow baths

I do one load in the washing machine a day and one day a week 2 loads, so 8 a week. Machine is A rated

I handwash dishes.

My friend watched the meter for me with all taps ect off and it didn't move so don't think its a leak

I know south west water are the most expensive in the country.

Any suggestions on how I can cut this bill down?

Thanks

Cheel xx

Does that include sewerage and waste water or just water?

We're with Anglian Water and our charges are about £500 a year, so considerably higher than yours, we have showers and no baths. Half of our bill seems to be sewerage and waste water and the other half the actual water from the taps. We use a dishwasher and the washing machine is on a similar number of times a week.
  • cheel
    Options
    That's the total bill. So must include the sewerage too.

I try to be careful with it, but it seems a lot for just me and my son. I must be wasting it somewhere but I think I'm too close to see it I you know what I mean. Yes 500 is a lot, is that metered? We dont have a shower, just a rubber type attachment for the taps, but it takes so ling to get the temperature right that it's just water down the drain.

Xx

• sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Is the upside to a meter that if you went away for a month, they would charge nothing.

Water bills are always bad, they charge for all sorts including dealing with the rain run off from your property. Even if you are collecting it all I bet they charge for that
  • ash28
    edited 22 July 2016 at 11:02AM
    Options

I try to be careful with it, but it seems a lot for just me and my son. I must be wasting it somewhere but I think I'm too close to see it I you know what I mean. Yes 500 is a lot, is that metered? We dont have a shower, just a rubber type attachment for the taps, but it takes so ling to get the temperature right that it's just water down the drain.

Xx

Yes, it's metered. You need to have a look at the breakdown of your bill.

For instance we have a standing charge of about 9p per day for water and 24p a day for sewerage these charges have nothing to with how much water you use. Together these charges add around £120 a year to our bill.

Our water costs us around £175 a year and sewerage costs us about £175 a year

The sewerage charge on our bill is determined by how much water you use - I guess they use the premise that what goes in must come out, so the usage they use is 90% of the water you have used.

You also need to check to see if your bills are using estimates or readings from your metre and check yourself if you can.

I have had a look to see if you have fixed charges and you do - they work out to be just under £80 a year, however your water charges are quite expensive at £1.94 per cubic metre and your sewerage charges are really expensive, can vary and be either £3.39 or £2.99 per cubic metre. We use around 110 cubic metres of water a year and get charged for 100 cubic metres of sewerage a year, I've just looked at how much we would pay to South West Water and it would be about £650 a year rather than the just under £500 (£470) to Anglian Water. Our water and sewarge charges without the daily charge is about £350 to Anglian Water but to South West Water it would be £570 a year. There are four of us in the house.

It seems as if you are doing all the right things but are just unfortunate in living in an area with such high water charges. But do check to see exactly what you are using.
  • cheel
    Options
    Ok that sounds good. So putting all my waste water to use in the garden probably isn't saving me anything then?

Hey ho, I'll get there. I was on rates before we moved here, so all this bill chopping and changing is a bit unnerving! Xx

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ok that sounds good. So putting all my waste water to use in the garden probably isn't saving me anything then?

Hey ho, I'll get there. I was on rates before we moved here, so all this bill chopping and changing is a bit unnerving! Xx

Of course it's saving you money, you aren't running a tap to water the garden

8 loads for just the two of you? That seems to be a lot of washing. Ok so I don't have kids but I've the grandkids here this week(2) and I'm just putiing a full load on today which is a mix of theirs and ours, and the next load will be on Sunday

We don't have water charges here and of course it rains a lot, but I still conserve water

When we were kids in 76 and we were on drought conditions - water tankers in the roads, public pools closed etc etc , we were washed daily at the sink in a bowl of water that was then tipped over the veg garden. We weren't allowed to water lawns or flower gardens, just veg. Mum made direct waters for the plants she really wanted saving, empty bottles with the bottoms cut off dug in down to the roots

Baths were 6 inches and shared. The water was collected for the garden as well, as was washing machine water and I'm pretty sure we were asked to to flush unless it was brown :)
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's an awful lot of washing! We're a family of 4 and I only did that much when the kids were both in cloth nappies and (obviously!) they were babies then so generally messy. What are you washing? For 2, I'd expect 2 loads of clothing per week max plus one each for towels, bedding and cleaning stuff/tea towels if you go through a lot (we do as we don't use kitchen roll). You might be able to combine some too, depending on the size of your machine.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Xx

With just the 2 of you, do you really need to do 8 loads of washing a week?
  • ash28
    Options

Using your waste water in the garden will save you money, using your waste water will mean you are using water that has already been metred and accounted for in your sewerage charge.

We were on rates too before we moved to this house.
  • cheel
    Options
    Here's the washing I do, I'm not sure how I could get it below 8 loads? They all need different settings.

2 loads of coloureds a week,
    1 load of whites
    Sons bedding
    My bedding
    Towels and bathmat
    Jeans
    Throws and cushion covers
    One load of work washing (the covers I use for work table, wedding dresses ect)

All but the whites load will be a full load .

I'm not sure how I could reduce this but am open to suggestions :)

Cheel xx

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business