Kos is such a bargain - why? The answer is...

Options
guestjim
guestjim Posts: 34 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Because there is a fear of refugee crisis there and that has reduced demand - but that fear is unfounded as there are no refugees anywhere that I saw. I am staying in a 5 star hotel on an all-inclusive package [5-star for holiday hotels that is!] for less than half what I paid 4 years ago and the hotel still retains superb standards. There will be other bargains, but the hotel we have just had a week in - Akti Palace - is top notch and a steal at current prices.

Well worth considering - and if you book an all-inclusive you take away most of the exchange rate effects.

If you have not been to Kos it is a great holiday destination. Great for families and couples.

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    guestjim wrote: »
    Because there is a fear of refugee crisis there and that has reduced demand - but that fear is unfounded as there are no refugees anywhere that I saw. I am staying in a 5 star hotel on an all-inclusive package [5-star for holiday hotels that is!] for less than half what I paid 4 years ago and the hotel still retains superb standards. There will be other bargains, but the hotel we have just had a week in - Akti Palace - is top notch and a steal at current prices.

Well worth considering - and if you book an all-inclusive you take away most of the exchange rate effects.

If you have not been to Kos it is a great holiday destination. Great for families and couples.

Who was the package with, I haven't done a package holiday for over 20 years but did go to kos 35 years ago so maybe time to take another look
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

How about a single, middle aged man, who doesn't enjoy lounging on a beach all day?
  • guestjim
    guestjim Posts: 34 Forumite
    edited 31 July 2016 at 5:20PM
    Options
    to photome - until recently I never went on packages and still sometimes don't. But it seems to me that the package is often the cheapest way of doing a holiday, whereas even a few years ago it was much cheaper to book a cheap flight and a hotel separately. This seems to be because the cost of flights has shot up and the cheap hotel deals when package firms - like Thompson - sold off their excess rooms has ended. In the main season often cheapest to go on a package tour if you can get the hotel you want.
    I might add that I am a single parent with two daughters now in mid-teens and they are not keen on travelling long distances [and I am less so than I was] or doing other than a holiday in a nice hotel with a shopping centre close by. I also travel on my own for leisure and would not be as keen on a package for that.
    To Bedsit Bob - I travel independently and it depends what you want. Partying, culture, history etc. There are plenty of things to do in Kos other than the beach or pool, But depends on your interests. For example, I would get the ferry to a neighbouring small island and explore there if I was on my own. Feel free to message me if you want specific details.
  • SinDinero
    SinDinero Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Incidentally do they do package holidays for one?

I need some sun.
  • leeparsons
    leeparsons Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    SinDinero wrote: »
    Incidentally do they do package holidays for one?

I need some sun.
    That's the issue with people thinking it's going to be cheap. For a single person it isnt! I wish that the whole holiday industry should be reformed. As i feel it isnt fair.
    There are only a couple ways to beat it I have found, without paying for 1 half times the price person they quote. It's always based on 2 - the flight cost. you need to look at. But still you might get supplement. Depends really. But there are other way's of getting it cheaper

As for booking individual components. To get the best deal, you need to have either book the flight a long time ago. But remeber your need to add luggae if you need it, and tansfers. Luggage could be £20 each way. With reruen transfers ranges from £10 to £20
    When you add all that up, it makes sense to book a package holiday.
  • Moto2
    Moto2 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Options
    leeparsons wrote: »
    That's the issue with people thinking it's going to be cheap. For a single person it isnt! I wish that the whole holiday industry should be reformed. As i feel it isnt fair.

Fair?

What on earth has fair got to do with any commercial operation?
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
  • Mich81
    Mich81 Posts: 314 Forumite
    Options
    Wholeheartedly agree, we've been to Kardamena in Kos 2 years running, and plan to go next year too if flight prices stay low.

Lovely island, great people, and didn't see one refugee or bit of bother either year.

Can recommend the Cleopatra group of hotels - only basic (as are most in Greece unless you go All Inclusive) but nicely located, good price, and clean.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 August 2016 at 2:32PM
    Options
    Mich81 wrote: »
    Wholeheartedly agree, we've been to Kardamena in Kos 2 years running, and plan to go next year too if flight prices stay low.

Lovely island, great people, and didn't see one refugee or bit of bother either year.

Can recommend the Cleopatra group of hotels - only basic (as are most in Greece unless you go All Inclusive) but nicely located, good price, and clean.

Are you sure?

l_Syria-Football-National-Team.jpg

300px-20130814_AT-GR_Nationalteam_Griechenland_2414.JPG

Theyre not exactly chinese and nigerian in differnce?!?!

Edit : Ahh just noticed, the Syrians have tiny balls, guess thats how you know?

ps its ok, you can report me, i deserve it.
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi guys, great ideas and discussion, but since it's a discussion I'm going to move you from the Holidays Deals board ;)
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options

How much time have you spent outside your 5* hotel?

Some people never leave the hotel grounds during their holiday so wouldn't know if a full scale war had broken out on the other side of the island.

I enjoyed Kos (Tingaki) so maybe you could comment on the refugee situation on the streets and on local buses.

As for your point about AI and exchange rate problems, AI also hits the local tourist industry I.e. small S/C and B&B and local tavernas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure