IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Advice For Future Fines - Leased Car

Options
Looking for some advice with future fines please.

I recently leased a car. I read the lease company will receive the NTK (is this correct?). As they are the registered owner and I assume the registered keeper the NTK will go to them and I also read that they pay the fine then charge me an admin fee (which I assume covers the fine cost and then some admin fee on top...). In the case of my most recent fine I never got the PCN (*assuming someone removed it*) so if that happens again I wont even be aware Ive got a ticket until the lease company inform me by which time itll be too late.

Guess Ill need to ring them up and confirm but is there anything I can do in this case - when it happens which it will no doubt.
Mike172 vs. UKCPM
Won:20
Lost: 0
Pending: 0
Times Ghosted: 15

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Dealing with private PCNs issued to lease/hire/company vehicles is more messy than privately owned vehicles.

If the first you know about the PCN is the NtK, you're already likely to have, as a minimum, attracted an admin fee from the hire company.

The worst case scenario is if you hear nothing at all, then notice a big fat charge on your credit card statement for the cost of PCN and the admin charge.

You then have to look very carefully at the Terms and Conditions of hire at the section covering 'charges'. Many refer to statutory penalties only, there's potential for a 'get out' there, but it's often an uphill struggle via a barrage of letters with the hire company.

If it's a local hirer, and you have a good working relationship with them, you might be able to persuade them to agree to pass any NtK directly to you to deal with, or notify the PPC that you were the keeper (not driver) on the day in question. If it's a national hirer, not much chance of this I suspect.

The best way around all of it - avoid picking up PCNs - read the signs and work within them.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can stop calling contractural invoices "fines" for starters.

Otherwise much of the advice in the Newbies Sticky holds good here - And check the small pront of your lease agreement - The company will probably only be able to charge you for legit fines/tickets, not private invoices. :)
  • Mike172
    Mike172 Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    Ok I rang up and my lease company will simply inform the issuing authority with my name and address. They said I wouldnt be charged any admin fees.

Other fines like stuff from TFL would be paid by them as they have to.
    Mike172 vs. UKCPM
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Mike172 wrote: »
    Ok I rang up and my lease company will simply inform the issuing authority with my name and address. They said I wouldnt be charged any admin fees.

Other fines like stuff from TFL would be paid by them as they have to.
    Get that in an email with a name on it.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Mike172
    Options
    Here goes Ticket #3. Not getting these on purpose - honest.

PCN received - Have not had NTK. I dont trust the lease firm not to pay it - I am OK to go ahead and send the standard 1st appeal at this stage BEFORE receiving an NTK. Seems fine to me as both £100 and £60 are mentioned on the PCN. Seems irrelevant whether or not I have an NTK with UKCPM - Rear of PCN mentions POPLA.

My other two POPLA appeal decisions are not due for another two weeks - I was hoping to send them my PCN numbers for reference.

I suspect there will be MANY more windscreen tickets to come.
    Mike172 vs. UKCPM
  • Umkomaas
    Options
    Get the lease company out of the loop by appealing the PCN directly with the PPC right away.

Send the initial appeal in the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, make sure you send it as 'the keeper', so don't try to embellish it in any way in case you inadvertently identify the driver.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• Mike172
    Options
    Thanks again. So the Usual process then :)

Just checking. ill have to check my car daily now to make sure none of the sickos who live in my flats remove the windscreen notice.

Really hope UKCPM doesn't decide to jump to IPC. I havent even won an appeal at POPLA yet and this is my 3rd ticket so I really hope it all goes through. If it does UKCPM are going to cost themselves a few quid (minuscule no doubt) over the next 2 years.
    Mike172 vs. UKCPM
  • ManxRed
    ManxRed Posts: 3,530 Forumite
    Options
    By the sound of it you're getting tickets for parking in a space where you live. Is it a specific space associated with your premises? Is it your space? Owned (Leasholder/Freeholder) or rented?
    Je Suis Cecil.
  • Mike172
    Options
    Its a space belonging to my next door neighbor, which is un used.

I am entirely in the wrong. But the other space next to mine there is a shitheap of a car and the owner has scratched and dented my previous car - so my actual space provides a gap between mine and his.

Dont mind getting the tickets anymore - so long as POPLA GPEOL stands they can ticket me all they want.
    Mike172 vs. UKCPM
  • Umkomaas
    Options
    Dont mind getting the tickets anymore - so long as POPLA GPEOL stands they can ticket me all they want.

They'll soon have your motor whitelisted! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport