Paypal chargeback for eBay item- any advise or have I been totally screwed over?

Options

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You need to remind them that you fully qualify for seller protection and although they (paypal) may not be able to win the chargeback, the result will always be that you are reimbursed for both the chargeback and the fee.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Paypal can be picky- for a chargeback, and I can see theonlywayisup's point about the terminology- you need to show proof of postage- so send paypal proof that item was sent, anything will do a PO receipt, etc. Then make sure that is uploaded to them and then phone them and keep phoning them.

If this was a sale using ebay UK and a UK paypal account then you are covered, I have won in an exact situation like this, in my case (and it is well whinged about on here!) I only had the proof of posting to the US. I also went well OTT on that one though as buyer stupidly admitted to scamming me, and used a work email address. I had a US friend find the local Marshall's phone number and called them, I contacted his employer, I contacted his wife's employer (I was very careful what I said and basically gave the pretext that I needed to talk to them about this claim as the Marshall had asked me to give them one more chance).

I won the paypal case of course but it took a while as it was pre seller protection days.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • pleasedelete
    pleasedelete Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks. I sent a photo of the original posting receipt- showing date, tracking number, zip code and house number etc

I then sent screen shots of both the RM and USPS sites showing the tracking history.
    June challenge £100 a day £3161.63 plus £350 vouchers plus £108.37 food/shopping saving

July challenge £50 a day. £ 1682.50/1550

October challenge £100 a day. £385/£3100
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Options
    I take it you included the tracking number details - they like to check themselves and won't necessarily take the number from the screenshot. It sounds obvious but it does happen that people forget to give the actual tracking number and carrier.

You should be able to add the tracking numbers to the case and also to the original purchase, I would do both, if you haven't already.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Talk to them as well, get them on the phone and they are often really helpful, be persistent. Just remind them over and over that you are invoking your seller protection- use those words and keep on at them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • pleasedelete
    Options
    Yes. I put the tracking number in as well. I have added them in already. I have also taken extensive scree shots of tracking in case it vanishes in the future.
    June challenge £100 a day £3161.63 plus £350 vouchers plus £108.37 food/shopping saving

• RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Some good advice above and you do seem to be covered.

I would say that it is possible that the item wasn't received as it says. I have family in the US and have had tracked parcels/letters go astray and the tracking says different. So I'd also suggest trying Royal Mail and seeing if they can find the parcel.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Options
    RFW wrote: »
    Some good advice above and you do seem to be covered.

I would say that it is possible that the item wasn't received as it says. I have family in the US and have had tracked parcels/letters go astray and the tracking says different. So I'd also suggest trying Royal Mail and seeing if they can find the parcel.

I wouldnt waste time with RM,simply go to USPS direct

https://twitter.com/USPSHelp/with_replies?lang=en
  • Brywalker
    Brywalker Posts: 319 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 August 2017 at 3:11PM
    Options
    I had one once for just a few pounds. I called Paypal and asked them why the hell are they charging me £14.00 for something that I clearly had absolutely nothing to do with? The chap on the phone agree and instantly refunded the £14.00!
  • pleasedelete
    Options
    Thanks

I sent a complaint about the complaint using all of the points that you all quoted.

I have now received an email saying

We're happy to confirm that the payment dispute detailed below was decided in your favour.
    We've reimbursed your PayPal account with the disputed amount.

However when I log into paypal it still shows as an open case and the text says

We've also released the amount on hold back to your PayPal balance, while we try to resolve this case. You'll not be required to take any action for now.

and to add to the position there is a secure message about the complaint that says

Upon review of the case we see that this transaction did qualify for seller protection. We have reimbursed your account for the amount of the transaction and for the amount of the chargeback fee. You should see the refund within five to seven days.

So I sent it may not yet be over? All 3 message were sent within a 5 minute period.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family