Options

Comments

• jeferey
    jeferey Posts: 4,300 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Making some strawberry wine. Wow, is it hard to make

CWxx
    No dead easy - I chucked 3kgs of strawbs in a bucket, 3kgs of sugar , some water and some lemon juice. FD helped me to mush them up a bit. Stir every day for 3 days then sieve into a couple of demi johns, add some yeast, pop in an airlock. After a bit filter it. Should be ready in a couple of months.
    Usually get 5 to 6 bottles from each demi john. I've had most of the equipment for 20 years. I've done apple before as well from windfalls. Very cheap per bottle for not a lot of effort - this is MSE you know ;):D
    If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try - oh bu99er that just cheat :D
  • CouponWoman
    CouponWoman Posts: 6,065 Forumite
    Options
    jeferey wrote: »
    No dead easy - I chucked 3kgs of strawbs in a bucket, 3kgs of sugar , some water and some lemon juice. FD helped me to mush them up a bit. Stir every day for 3 days then sieve into a couple of demi johns, add some yeast, pop in an airlock. After a bit filter it. Should be ready in a couple of months.
    Usually get 5 to 6 bottles from each demi john. I've had most of the equipment for 20 years. I've done apple before as well from windfalls. Very cheap per bottle for not a lot of effort - this is MSE you know ;):D

Your very self sufficient Jeferey, and your getting different flavours of wine as well.:rotfl:But where do you store everything for months on end. xx

CWxx
  • fungaltendancy
    fungaltendancy Posts: 1,418 Forumite
    Options
    Eaten lots, given some away, I'm turning 3 kgs into wine. Made some years ago - lovely stuff!
    I've never made jam, seems like a lot of faff when you can just buy a jar for 79p :)
    You got a breadmaker dont you jeff? check that as mine has a jam setting and its easy peasy!:D
  • shopndrop
    shopndrop Posts: 3,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow, what a lot of strawberries Jefery. Just picked some from the garden tonight, but had to throw quite a lot away as they had rotted :( whilst we were on holiday.

PM - would definitely love to see a picture of your new kitten.
  • shopndrop
    Options
    You got a breadmaker dont you jeff? check that as mine has a jam setting and its easy peasy!:D

Which breadmaker do you have FT? Didn't know you could do jam in a BM. Mine is a Panasonic, only ever used it for bread though.
  • jeferey
    jeferey Posts: 4,300 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Mine's a Panasonic too. It has a compartment for nuts/ seeds but I don't remember a jam setting. What do you do?
    If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try - oh bu99er that just cheat :D
  • fungaltendancy
    Options
    shopndrop wrote: »
    Which breadmaker do you have FT? Didn't know you could do jam in a BM. Mine is a Panasonic, only ever used it for bread though.
    I did have a kenwood before and it did it, now have a cookworks (argos value type brand i think) and it also does it.From experience i think it tends to be 12 setting ones.
    It makes sense cause all making jam requires is for the fruit and sugar to be heated and stirred constantly.It works brilliant, even with frozen fruit
  • shopndrop
    Options
    Mine's a Panasonic too. It has a compartment for nuts/ seeds but I don't remember a jam setting. What do you do?

Sounds the same as mine. I have a compartment for nuts and seeds which I use. Can't get in my kitchen at the moment as just had floor screeded, so needs to dry for 48 hours. Will have a look in my book that came with BM in another day or so.
  • fungaltendancy
    Options
    MORNING ALL!!!!

Too early? I heartily agree!would someone like to inform my brain of this fact it isn't listening to me!
  • fungaltendancy
    Options
    shopndrop wrote: »
    Sounds the same as mine. I have a compartment for nuts and seeds which I use. Can't get in my kitchen at the moment as just had floor screeded, so needs to dry for 48 hours. Will have a look in my book that came with BM in another day or so.

OOOhh thats posh.Mine just beeps at me in an annoying fashion when i use a setting that wants me to add bits like that.
    As jeff kinda says its not worth it if your going out specifically to buy stuff for jam with fruit being so expensive.But if you have stuff to use up or grow your own or get cheap etc its quick and easy peasy!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure