Used Ryanair since the cabin baggage change?

Options
Hi all

Im curious about this as i have just booked a flight and there was no mention of this during the booking process- only that if i booked priority i would guarantee my bag on the flight (much like easyjet) .

I dont mind if they take the bag from me but i have to be prepared with meds/batteries if they do.

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    they will take the cabin baggage from you at the gate to go in hold. You can keep a small under seat item with you on the plane
    https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Baggage/What-cabin-baggage-can-I-carry
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My experience: At the UK airport they were very thorough and tagged hand baggage as per the policy and put them in the hold.

At the foreign airport they were a bit more flexible and only seemed to tag cabin suitcases... my rucksack got through, even though by their policy should’ve ended up in the hold.

Guess it depends on the airport and the ground staff on the day but be prepared to have to put it in the hold.
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    Its now got absolutely ridiculous since the changes.
    You used to see maybe 10 or 20 people using the Priority queue now out of 180 people on the flight about 120 are Priority !!
    On the route I fly anyway.
    It's now getting back to the stage where there are that many Priority passengers their luggage won't fit in the cabin............
    Ryanair must be making an absolute fortune with these changes.
    HTH
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,657 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As always, be very careful and make sure your baggage size and weight is compliant. Only the other week in a spanish airport i saw a woman hooked out of the queue at the departure gate, bag didnt fit gauge, invoiced for big fat amount to put it in hold.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Backbiter
    Backbiter Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Flew with them the other week. I'd booked before the changes, but there was no hassle. Very straightforward.
  • MiraculousM
    Options
    Yeah i have 2 ryanair flights coming up- one i havent bothered because i can wait for the bag to go through and one i land late and need to keep my bag with me.

Also, another question- i know its probably out of the question but what happens with Ryanair when the bag is damaged?
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I recently did a return journey to Lisbon. I was a priority boarder and had the cabin bag as I'd booked extra leg room before the changes, so got it all bundled together. From what I saw, only those that had joined the none-priority queue first got tagged up, anybody arriving late weren't bothered.

On board staff did make sure people put small bags under seats rather than overhead.
  • Lorraine_smith
    Options
    If I pay for a seat I do not buy any food or duty free on board out of principle.
    With the new rules regarding cabin baggage I wonder what would happen if no passenger booked priority boarding on a flight, it would play havoc with their 30 minute turn around having to load all the cases before take off.
  • Backbiter
    Backbiter Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just received an email about my Ryanair flight this weekend. Amongst other points regarding alcohol and anti-social behaviour it says:
    Any alcohol purchased in airport shops or elsewhere must be packed carefully in a suitable item of cabin baggage, which will be tagged at the gate and then placed in the aircraft hold free of charge.
    If the bag is unsuitable for placing in the hold (e.g. plastic bag) then customers will be required to dispose of the alcohol in the bins provided.

So they are now saying that you can't buy drink at the airport shops unless it fits in your cabin bag. It used to be that you could carry it onboard in a carrier bag provided by the duty-free shops, but that is no longer suitable. So do you now have to bring a separate piece of cabin luggage for any airport alcohol purchases (which will then incur an additional bag charge)?
    Interesting. I didn't get that email when I flew with them in February.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure