Visa for connecting flight

Options
2»

Comments

• Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    First off have you checked that they were right that you needed a VISA? What nationality are you?

See http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_abroad/freedom_of_movement_within_the_eu/common_travel_area_between_ireland_and_the_uk.html

There is a Common Travel Area between UK and Ireland, the land border has no passport checks and didn't think the sea or air routes did either. But there does seem to be some (arguably pointless) restrictions on some nationalities travelling between the countries.

I wondered that too. Coming from the Isle of Man, I've always assumed that once you are within the Common Travel Area (whatever your nationality) you can travel freely within it.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    I wondered if the OP might be Indian (travelling to Chennai?).

But I see that there is something called the British Irish visa which appears to allow Chinese and Indian nationals to travel freely within the UK, ROI (and IoM) on a single visa issued by UK or ROI. So presumably OP is not Indian.

Of course, I may be completely mistaken as I've just picked this up of the IoM Govt website and it may not be either completely accurate or wholly comprehensive. :)
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    zagubov wrote: »
    I think we need to go easy on the OP. Not every airport closes completely at night time and I don't know of a database that tells you them all. Flyer forums are full of reports of experienced travellers getting caught out.
    Therefore, I'm not sure when the OP's suspicions should have been alerted.
    I certainly changed planes in the past in countries where I didn't have a visa (Czechoslovakia in the 1980s).
    Presumably if OP had used a human travel agent they'd have been able to discuss problems

Incidentally, if he cancelled the first leg and took a ferry to Dublin or Belfast, would he have been OK'd to fly?

If he'd have cancelled the first leg via the agent the ticket would have been repriced from Dublin. If he just no showed all the flights on that ticket would be cancelled.

Dublin airport is open 24/7 (apart from Xmas Day) but it appears the sleeping options landside are more comfortable than airside. I'm surprised he intended staying in the airport all night with 2 children anyway.

https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the-airport/useful-information/frequently-asked-questions

https://www.sleepinginairports.net/europe/dublin.htm

Impossible to check the visa situation without knowing what nationality passports they all held.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Also if it wasn't a through ticket then you would have to go landside to check in for the next leg?
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Also if it wasn't a through ticket then you would have to go landside to check in for the next leg?

I wondered about that, but the OP said that they were issued with boarding passes for the flight from Dublin so it must have been a connecting flight.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wondered if the OP might be Indian (travelling to Chennai?).

But I see that there is something called the British Irish visa which appears to allow Chinese and Indian nationals to travel freely within the UK, ROI (and IoM) on a single visa issued by UK or ROI. So presumably OP is not Indian.

That visa is a concession for tourists and other short-term visitors (if a Chinese tourist with a British visa wants to go to Ireland for a few days and spend some money there, they can do so without visa issues): it is not available to people with long-term visas such as students and people allowed to live and work here.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    zagubov wrote: »
    Incidentally, if he cancelled the first leg and took a ferry to Dublin or Belfast, would he have been OK'd to fly?

He might have got away with it, but that is not allowed. An Indian (for example), even with a long-term visa for the UK, needs a different visa to enter the Irish Republic. However, people who are British or Irish do not need to show any documents to travel between the two countries which is why there are often no immigration controls.
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Dublin airport doesn't close overnight, however it maybe the case that you can't stay airside overnight because there are no flights then.

Coming out from airside means a visa would be required

There's no airside transit at DUB nowadays, so the OP was always going to need a visa.

Different routing, but discussed recently here:
    https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/1884445-ex-dub-us.html
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    fifeken wrote: »
    There's no airside transit at DUB nowadays, so the OP was always going to need a visa.

[/url]

It seems to be a nightmare travelling by air these days. I think I'll stay at home in my hobbit hole.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • morth123
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I have a Indian passport and UK work visa. Expensive lesson learnt. I am going to request the agent to cancel the ticket so that I get atleast the airport taxes back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure