Detention

Options
Opinions please.

My d.d is in year 10 ( 4th year in old money!). A teacher gives detention for not achieving ??% in assessments.
My initial thought is this piles more pressure on the children my second thought it motivates them to achieve. In reality my d.d becomes more anxious and worries not only about the test but the possible detention.
In my day ( there you have it I've turned into my mum) a detention was for being naughty: wagging school; smoking ; being rude; telling a teacher to 'do one'
Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If detention is used to look at the work again and improve effective study, it seems reasonable.

If kids just sit there and do nothing it seems less reasonable.
  • lillie421
    Options
    I completely agree with you. Detention is for when a child does something naughty like you said. Basically, the teacher is punishing children for not being 'clever enough'.
    Do you have any idea if it is just this particular teacher who does this or is it a school rule?
    I would find this out and if it is just this particular teacher who carries out this rule then I would definitely take it further and talk to the head teacher about it. That shouldn't be allowed.
    Good luck!
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Options
    It depends on why the target wasn't achieved and what the detention will be used for.

Did the teacher spend a lot of time with the class to help them achieve their targets in so much as if the target wasn't achieved could the teacher feel it was because they weren't paying attention?

Is the detention to be used as a session to go over the topic again for those who missed their targets so that the whole class can then move on?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree that detention should be for bad behavior, not under achieving. Unless the child was actually mucking about during the test or cheated or sat there and didn't even try.
  • Lingua
    Lingua Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    If it's not a formal detention, and the teacher will sit down in that time and discuss the test with the student, then I see no issue. It's a way of ensuring the pupil turns up to discuss problems and methods for improvement.

If however the detention is a true 'detention', then it is very unfair as there are no doubt many reasons why a student doesn't attain a certain %. Not least, less able students or those with poor home lives will suffer most. Perhaps have a kind word with the teacher in question and see what it's all about?

Lingua
    Long-Term Goal: £23'000 / £40'000 mortgage downpayment (2020)
  • HappyLassie13
    Options
    Personally, I think it shouldn't be called a "dentention". The students who don't reach the % set by the teacher should return for a study session, but its harsh to use a term meant for punishment.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It depends if the % is against their own target of what they are capable of.

I really HATE it when I have a bright pupil that puts no effort into revision and does badly in a test.

I would then phone their parents and have them stay behind after school for an hour in a 'detention' where they can resit the test.

This prevents laziness but only punishes those who have put no effort in, which is usually obvious.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pupils have been known to fudge what they tell their parents.

It's unlikely that any teacher would give a detention simply for a low mark.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Pupils have been known to fudge what they tell their parents.

It's unlikely that any teacher would give a detention simply for a low mark.

This is certainly a possibility.
    It depends on why the target wasn't achieved and what the detention will be used for.

Did the teacher spend a lot of time with the class to help them achieve their targets in so much as if the target wasn't achieved could the teacher feel it was because they weren't paying attention?

Is the detention to be used as a session to go over the topic again for those who missed their targets so that the whole class can then move on?
    I'd say it's difficult for a teacher to be 100% sure but if (s)he's confident that the pupils given detention haven't put in enough effort or messed about in the lesson then it's fine with me. Ideally all detention would be constructive but sometimes it's a case of taking away some free time from pupils who have wasted lesson time with bad behaviour or minimal work.
  • skattykatty
    Options
    Detaining a student in a formal manner called detention is ONLY to check behaviour.

If a child has under-achieved in a test, then that requires reflection by both teacher and student. Be great to spend some time to do that together and that, as I used to do many moons ago, is something offered and agreed between the two usually during a break or part of lunchtime. If it needs more time after school, that needs to be communicated to parents and agreed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure