Warm home discount

Options
I applied for the warm home discount again in 2016,as I have received this each year that I have applied. A few weeks ago it seemed strange that British Gas hadn't made the payment,so I contacted them regarding it. I was astonished when they told me my account was no longer with them, but I was with Scottish Power. It was discovered that a erroneous transfer had taken place, and BG are now in the process of switching me back to them. I didn't receive a goodbye letter from BG or a welcome letter from SP, so I was totally unaware of what had taken place. I have asked BG if I will still receive the warm home discount when they reopen my account with them, but they seem very reluctant to answer this. Am I entitled to the discount when this has all been resolved ? Your advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    At a guess I would say perhaps not as most if not all WHD's for 2016/17 have now been paid, but ask BG see what they say.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    macatac wrote: »
    I applied for the warm home discount again in 2016,as I have received this each year that I have applied. A few weeks ago it seemed strange that British Gas hadn't made the payment,so I contacted them regarding it. I was astonished when they told me my account was no longer with them, but I was with Scottish Power. It was discovered that a erroneous transfer had taken place, and BG are now in the process of switching me back to them. I didn't receive a goodbye letter from BG or a welcome letter from SP, so I was totally unaware of what had taken place. I have asked BG if I will still receive the warm home discount when they reopen my account with them, but they seem very reluctant to answer this. Am I entitled to the discount when this has all been resolved ? Your advice would be much appreciated.

First step is get the ET sorted.

Once sorted, a customer that has been the subject of an Erroneous Transfer should be in the same position as they would have been in had the transfer never had occurred.

So if you feel you are not, follow the complaint procedure ... and if necessary, let the ombudsman decide
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 March 2017 at 4:54AM
    Options
    macatac wrote: »

No you won't get the WHD even if British Gas confirmed before December 16 2016 that you will get it.

The eligibility cut-off date was 10 July 2016 and if you were with a supplier which was part of the scheme on that date you qualify. But and here comes the punchline, for the Broader Group if you change supplier before you get the WHD payment you lose it. But if you change supplier after you get the WHD payment you can keep it.

That rule is different for the core group: If with a supplier which was part of the scheme on the eligibility date and they change supplier before they get the payment the last supplier still pays it.

The question is whether British Gas is switching you back to them because they made a mistake or whether you yourself have initiated the switch back. If the former then it's still possible that you will still get the WHD.

Note that the WHD has to be paid by the end of April 2017. If you have not received the payment by then you can enter BG's complaints procedure and from there to Ofgem. But as energy suppliers largely make their own rules for the broader group over who to pay you could be flogging a dead horse.
  • karen565
    Options
    Warm home discount scheme was set up in 2011. Energy companies and Government work together to facilitate low income people to avail certain discount on their energy bills. This scheme offers a rebate of £140 on the electricity costs based on few qualifying criteria. Users will not receive discount in the form of money instead they get some discount only in their electricity bills.

Terms and conditions to qualify for WHD scheme –

Your electricity supplier should be part of the scheme
    Your name (account/bill holder) should be present on the bill
    You must be receiving Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business