New car woe - what to consider

Options

Comments

• Nobbie1967
    Nobbie1967 Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What's absolute nonsense?

I actually work on the door build for the F-Pace (and Velar) at Solihull.

Every day they come and get a couple of new doors to replace ones that are irreparably damaged around site.

If the damage isn't that severe then the doors (and any other panels) are repaired in just the same way that any good body shop would do.

If the repair is done correctly then there is no difference to hundreds of other cars that have left the factory after being repaired, with no one any the wiser.

Just wondering whether this would ever be picked up later by an inspection with a paint thickness probe? Just a thought for the OP if they were ever to trade it in and the garage knocked down the price due to "previous accident damage"
  • uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Every day they come and get a couple of new doors to replace ones that are irreparably damaged around site.

If the damage isn't that severe then the doors (and any other panels) are repaired in just the same way that any good body shop would do.

If the repair is done correctly then there is no difference to hundreds of other cars that have left the factory after being repaired, with no one any the wiser.

We weren't the wiser until now :rotfl:
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    Options
    uknick wrote: »
    We weren't the wiser until now :rotfl:

Surly people aren't that naive? It's been the same in every car factory I've worked in, in the last 30 years.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 October 2017 at 1:14PM
    Options

There could well be very valid reasons why a door needs replaced and the owner / customer could well be aware (or the cause of it), if the new panel is being picked up and taken by a dealer offsite for a repair.

Likewise, panels being replaced whilst still at the factory and to the same standard then grand, but let not propagate the myth that its a prevalent activity across all new cars subsequent to leaving the factory.

On occasions it may happen, but not often and not "regularly".

I used to work for a main dealer and salesmen / service staff damaging brand new cars was not a regular occurrence by any means - you'd have got your head in your hands if it did happen.
  • CardinalWolsey
    Options
    Has the garage already registered the car in your name? If so, they won't be putting it back on their forecourt as an ex-demo, it would have to be a fully fledged second hand car. Any car buyer with their head screwed on correctly would then be asking them why they have a second hand car with delivery mileage only - and they would have to explain the damage. You've seen the damage, so know the extent of it - and it might be you can negotiate a discount closer to what they would have to sell it for on their forecourt, because for sure that is going to be far more than the £1000 they were offering.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    Surly people aren't that naive? It's been the same in every car factory I've worked in, in the last 30 years.

Well tempered people might be just as naïve ;) Interesting typos lol (sorry)
  • RichardD1970
    edited 2 October 2017 at 4:55PM
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    There could well be very valid reasons why a door needs replaced and the owner / customer could well be aware (or the cause of it), if the new panel is being picked up and taken by a dealer offsite for a repair.

Likewise, panels being replaced whilst still at the factory and to the same standard then grand, but let not propagate the myth that its a prevalent activity across all new cars subsequent to leaving the factory.

On occasions it may happen, but not often and not "regularly".

I used to work for a main dealer and salesmen / service staff damaging brand new cars was not a regular occurrence by any means - you'd have got your head in your hands if it did happen.

The door that are collected from us line-side are for use on site only, to replace damage on-site.

We do extra production into "service pallets" for external use (usually weekend overtime) so as not to interfere with production targets.

Damage may not be a regular occurrence at dealerships, but it is, if not regular, then at least quite common on the factory site.

The point was that if the repair was of the correct standard then it wouldn't bother me as I know how much repair work can be carried out before the car even leaves the factory (hell, before the bodies even gets into paint).

The OP has been advised to check the colour match very carefully and should also check the closure/panel gaps and alignment of the style lines as these are harder to set off track.

If they are still not happy then reject the car and wait for a new one.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

We do extra production into "service pallets" for eternal use

Richard, your typos are some of the most amusing I have ever seen
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • RichardD1970
    Options
    Richard, your typos are some of the most amusing I have ever seen

Lol, my X key has been playing up recently. The previous one I put down to my dyslexia, I am usually very careful when posting to proof read everything religiously, but some things inevitably get missed. :D
  • danm
    danm Posts: 541 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    thanks for all the feedback guys.

Decided to go with the repair on the basis that I can still reject if not to satisfaction. I will be going armed with my check list.

Got the comp up to £2000.

I know the body shop they are using and they do all the authorised repair work locally on high end Marques (I actually did very similar damage to my Evoque and it was dealt with by said company to excellent standard)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure