What do you take from hotel rooms?

Poll started 29 Jul 2013

Many see a hotel room as a free-for-all, taking all they can, sometimes crossing the border of legality.

Tick each of the items you’ve taken from a hotel room (without specifically paying for it) by clicking through to this week's poll:

Did you vote? Why did you pick that option? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below clicking reply to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide .

To see the results from last time, click this.

Comments

• torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    I seldom get to visit any of the more expensive hotels so I don't get access to the likes of bath robe and slippers but I doubt if I would take them anyway.
    I will admit to taking toiletries, complimentary food and pens etc.
  • Battleaxe44
    Battleaxe44 Posts: 607 Forumite
    I thought if you took the robes etc, they charged you for it. I am never sure about the quality of the shampoo and stuff, always take my own.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Last time I stayed in a hotel, was paid for by work, I took the 2 free bottles of water and the biscuits and tea/coffee sachets. It was a DeVere hotel in Bolton. I was going to take the shower/shampoo bottles but forgot to take them even though I used some of them as I didn't take my own stuff. Meaning the cleaners would have binned them anyway.
  • I'm one of the boring many, it seems: shampoo/conditioner/soap etc

But only if I've already started the bottle and if I don't know whether the next place I'm staying has toiletries (i.e. if going from a hotel to a hostel)
  • Who took the TV???!!!
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    I've never stayed in a really posh hotel with bathrobes, slippers etc. I do take the toiletries though as they are thrown out anyway
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Complimentary = given free of charge
    so I've taken unused coffee sachets, advertising pens and part used toiletries. I have also taken the flimsy free slippers I'd been using on the grounds that they'd be binned anyway.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • Lagoon
    Lagoon Posts: 934 Forumite
    I've never taken anything from a hotel room. I think it's rude, and it leads to an increase in hotel prices.

When I'm there I'll occasionally use the toiletries, though I usually prefer my own. I might eat biscuits, and if there's hot chocolate I'll have a mug before bed as a treat, but if I don't use something whilst there then there's no way I'd pack it to take away.
  • fionajbanana
    fionajbanana Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    I take the Top 4 responses in the poll - tea. coffee, buscuits, pens and toiletries.

I have used the contents of the bottles and given them to friends and family that are travelling with hand luggage only on planes.
  • The things that they leave and expect you to consume - tea, coffee biscuits etc etc are already included in the price so really they belong to you. Travelodge are cheap so they don't supply toiletries to keep cost down. I love the episode of friends where Chandler and Ross pack everything from their hotel room :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure