IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Athena ANPR ltd scam mail received

Options

Comments

• Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Oh this one has to go to popla, on their signs any profit goes to charity. Umm there should be no profit as this is supposed to cover losses to the landowner only, so how can there be a profit? They are basically saying its a penalty as its above any possible loss, and besides that which charity does it go to?
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,807 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 9 July 2013 at 11:14PM
    Options
    DTDfanBoy wrote: »

I assume your car park was in England/Wales though as you are after a POPLA code? And I hope your response to Athena didn't give them the impression you wanted them to 'shove it' as in forget your appeal...? Looks like you have done your homework so I expect you know the score, keep us updated and do get help to word the POPLA appeal before just sending it off. We want you to win and you need plenty of appeal points.

I always hate the signage wording that pretends that 'profits are given to charity' when we know in fact that a tiny % skimmed off the charge trousered by the PPC, is passed to the Store, who then pass that to a charity. Could be as little as 1% - 5% of the charge but if you read that sign you would never know it; plenty of people would by completely misled and think 'oh that's alright then' and blindly follow what they think is expected of them & pay up like lemmings jumping over a cliff.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • DTDfanBoy
    DTDfanBoy Posts: 1,704 Forumite
    edited 8 August 2013 at 12:59PM
    Options
    Well the 35 days stipulated has well and truly lapsed and still no word from Athena :( I was looking forward to making use of a POPLA code ;)

Planning forward what should I do if we now receive another threat-o-gram ?

My wife who is the RK was not driving at the time, and we have not yet disclosed this to Athena, as they haven't abided by the POFA 2012 am I correct in thinking they can no longer pursue the RK ??

At this stage, if we are contacted by Athena again, we'll probably, providing it's seen as a good move by the experts on here, notify them that the RK was not driving, and that we will not be providing them with the particulars of the person who was :p

We'll also inform them that we consider the matter closed and will only be dealing with the landowner in relation to this matter, should they continue to harass I'll probably write to Lidl with a letter before action warning them to bring their agents into line or we'll bring an action for harassment against them :cool::D

Does this sound like a feasible course of action or are there better options we should be looking at.

Ideally we just want these fools to go away without wasting a huge amount of our time, I am happy to donate some time if I can hit them where it hurts though :beer:
  • spacey2012
    spacey2012 Posts: 5,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 August 2013 at 1:04PM
    Options
    Contact the council planning department and request the planning consent conditions and rateable value charge status for the car park .
    You might be able to stick one right on both Lidl and the parking scammers here.
    If they are breaking planning consent and avoiding business rates claiming exemption as a free car park, you might want to ask the council why they are issuing charges ?
    I take it that is what it says it is, a charge for parking.
    Be happy...;)
  • DTDfanBoy
    Options
    Sound advice spacey2012, their signage clearly indicates that there is a charge for parking, after x amount of time, it also indicates that profit is generated :T

I had a brief search online but they council in question only has limited information available online, should they contact us regaring the matter again I'll invest a few minutes and give the council a ring ;)
  • spacey2012
    spacey2012 Posts: 5,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I do get criticized for not helping with simple things like defences against claims, but these are available with one click in several places.
    I place my spare time fighting these parasites at the other end and i have already had success in one car park, boom they are gone, overnight in this case, I have several ongoing at other retail parks, again ALL are breaking the planning consent and ALL are avoiding the business rates for a charging car park.
    The council in question is ignoring me as are all the local councilors, I guess money talks !
    So my complaint is before the local government ombusdman who is taking it very seriously and has given the local council 30 days to respond or face a penalty for each day after 30 days it fails to address the issue.
    So it looks like they are running out of road quickly.
    I am a firm believer in putting the fire out at it's source, plenty are already dealing with its victims.
    If other join in, we can put them all out.
    Be happy...;)
  • DTDfanBoy
    edited 8 August 2013 at 1:43PM
    Options
    I don't blame you for not spoonfeeding the masses spacey2012, there is a host of information available in regards to this scam for anyone willing to spend a few minutes reading up on it.

I am interested in the council rates based approach, it sounds like it has potential :j

I'm quite looking forward to having a crack at Athena if they give me a chance though, some of there previous approaches seem ridiculous to say the least :eek:

I was hoping that they would refuse my appeal then offer to appeal to POPLA on my behalf, I think I may have taken them up on their generous offer, then raised all hell if that were actually stupid enough to go down that route :D

I wonder if POPLA would actually accept an appeal from a parking company made on behalf of someone they were trying to scam, I couldn't see a court judgment being made with one lawyer working on behalf of both the claimant and the defendant :rotfl::rotfl:

Surely whoever regulates POPLA would have to have a closer look at the system if such a thing were allowed to happen.
  • Orrin
    Orrin Posts: 448 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't think Athena have ever taken anyone to court and according to the POPLA report only had 8 appeals registered (up to March) so I doubt they will pursue too hard.
  • DTDfanBoy
    Options
    I'm not surprised by the lack of appeals considering in my case they haven't even bothered to make a decision regarding my appeal :mad: I wonder if they have decided it's cheaper not to issue POPLA codes.

What I can gather from reading other threads where people have received a response is that they simply add the POPLA code in their rejection letter, but make no mention of what it is or how it should be used.

In other cases they indicate you should contact them so they can appeal on your behalf :rotfl::rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure