Asking vet for a prescription

Options

Comments

• orlao
    orlao Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No!!!!! (sorry:o )

When a vet prescribes a med for a patient the animal has to be under their care and they are responsible for them even if they don't supply the drugs.

For instance my animals are all treated with avocate, a POM product for fleas, ticks, ear mites etc and have been for some years. IMO this isn't a high risk med and until they could charge for prescriptions the vet was happy to only see the animal at least once a year and to issue a prescription for a 6 pack of advocate (6 months supply) twice a year.....they always saw the cat twice a year anyway ( she is hyperthroyid) and the rottie usually goes to the vets a few times a year for various ailments but the JRTs very rarely need a vet and they were happy to prescribe for them on one visit a year.

As soon as they could charge for prescriptions they said that they wanted to see every animal at least every three months, prescriptions would only be issued for a month at a time (£10 charge) and when in quite a heated discussion with the practice manager ( Owners wife!) not on the premises btw I asked if the same terms would apply, minus the £10 charge obviously if I bought the meds from them, she said probably not! Now if I could get proof of that I would report them like a shot (vindictive moi?:D ) but they are now my ex vets.....and that attitude has lost them a lot of custom in recent months.
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Apart from the mark up on meds and prescription diet (I get my diet food online now) what really galls me is that now my vet is charging £15 to complete your insurance claim! As its basically a signature thats needed, how on earth can they claim that much? Most of us have £50-£70 excess anyway, so its hardly worth claiming at all if the vet wants his cut for signing the form.
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,845 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh I see...
    Can I ask my vet just to complete a prescription then? And get the meds elsewhere?

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • simontheiceman
    Options
    hieveryone wrote: »
    Oh I see...
    Can I ask my vet just to complete a prescription then? And get the meds elsewhere?

yes - just dont expect them to be nice about it or indeed to complete your insurance claim free of charge.

Please note that if you have an insurance claim for medications suppled by an online pharmacist then many vets can refuse to sign that form (quite rightly- they cannot certify the actual supply therefore cannot sign the form) and it will be up to your supplier - good luck with that one as they can (and do) charge for claim filling and it will be a lot more trouble. We have had clients return to buying meds from us for this very reason.

Insurance forms are more than "a signature" and require a fair bit of work. Many of us fill them out for free, but I can see why some vets charge.
    Garantissez-moi de mes amis, je saurai me defendre de mes ennemis
  • cjsktc
    Options
    I have recently lost a cat to Kidney failure and she had hypothyroidism. I was paying £38 for 100 Felimozole (sp?) and it was £18 online. She was also taking Fortekor and was charged £28 for 28 tablets from the vets and could get them for £10.08 online.

Now, whilst i understand that vets have overheads to pay for (as do most other jobs), those kinds of mark ups (£20 difference in 1st meds and £18 in the other) is plain greedy and IMO, taking advantage on animal owners who would do anything for their pets. I wasnt told how much her meds would cost, i found out after they filled the prescriptions.

Dont get me wrong - i understand that vets work hard to get to be qualified, but i think something needs to be done about the prices. I'm not sure if pet insurance will pay for these meds, but it didnt help me. My cat was 15 when she died a few weeks ago, i had had her all her life and i am 28. When we moved out of the family home 4 years ago, she was too old to be insured, so i had to find the money.
  • yelowee
    yelowee Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.petfleas.co.uk/ are great for all the spot on treatments and wormers but they also do a lot of other stuff. I've been using them for a while now and have never had to wait more than a day or two for the stuff to arrive and get the exact same stuff that my vet recommends, it was my vet who pointed me in the right direction!! So they can't all be bad!!
  • simontheiceman
    Options
    cjsktc wrote: »
    but i think something needs to be done about the prices.

what?

I posit that it would be nice to put the prices on a par with dentists or lawyers ( my dentist is £39 for 10mins and my lawyer is £45 and the private doctor I use is £45). Perhaps then I could have an income comparable with these other professions. Perhaps you could start a BBC HYS or a Daily Mail campaign on this!
    Garantissez-moi de mes amis, je saurai me defendre de mes ennemis
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Simon, the few times Ive handed in an insurance form, everything is completed by me save for the confirming signature.
  • snowman2_2
    Options
    You can't complete the full insurance form, at least half of it needs to be completed by the vet. Even if you fill that section in, we need to check it before we put our signature to it which takes the same amount of time. There is a new internet based insurance filing system coming on-line soon which should speed up claims and reduce the cost.
  • snowman2_2
    Options
    I posit that it would be nice to put the prices on a par with dentists or lawyers ( my dentist is £39 for 10mins and my lawyer is £45 and the private doctor I use is £45). Perhaps then I could have an income comparable with these other professions. Perhaps you could start a BBC HYS or a Daily Mail campaign on this!
    It basically comes down to how much vets are valued by society. I would have been far better off financially becoming a GP, solicitor or dentist but we don't get so many people complaining that these professions should cut their prices. Everyone says they want the best service for their pets but if you try to charge properly to provide a decent wage for the nurses, receptionists, kennel hands,vets and provide a return on the money invested, we get accused of profiteering. To pay my staff what I would like to and what I feel they deserve, I would have to put up my prices by 1/3. That would put me closer to the figures listed above. I think that is a good idea but i suspect I would get shouted down. The root problem is the NHS - no-one has any idea what it costs these days. Vets are actually very efficient compared to the NHS.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure