BT complaints

Options

Comments

• maryk_88
    maryk_88 Posts: 46 Forumite
    edited 20 May 2010 at 6:19PM
    Options
    I received my letter today to let me know my 12 month line rental/unlimited evening+weekend plan was ending soon. I've been on it for 3 years.

I called this morning and got hung up on twice!!! Just after saying I would like to see what my options were and what BT could offer me to stay with them, the operator said I'll just put you through, and then.....nothing!!! The dead tone.

I'm just following the advice from Martin regarding haggling your deal down. I would like BT to price match the £8.99 deal with Primus.

Will I be able to get a deal before my time is up, and my contract starts to roll into a new 12 month period? I will be most annoyed if I can't actually get someone in BT to answer this question before that happens.

Help please..

EDIT: I have now been offered the $8.54 deal via email in response to my email complaint. Hope this is true - if it is I will be happy. Have to wait for the next bill though.....
  • vedjar
    vedjar Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I would appreciate e mail details of the BT CEO as i need to make him aware of the service provided by his employees. i have reached to the end of my teather trying to sort out a complaint with Bt. i have been passed on to many different personnel all promising to sort things out but nothing happening. the saga is running since oct 09.
    i feel that as a bt share holder and customer i need to make my views heard to the head man and ask for his comments. if anybody has any other ideas i would welcome them
    thanks
  • BT_company_representative
    BT_company_representative Posts: 1,861 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi Kten,

I am sorry to hear of the problems you have had with your recent bill. I would like to take look at this for you to see what is going one. Please could you email me your BT account details, along with a link to this thread? My email address can be found by clicking on my profile.

Thanks

Paddy
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Options
    Hi Vedjar,

I would like to try and help you with your complaint. Please could you email your BT account details to the email address found in my profile?

Thanks

Paddy,
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • ochloeo
    ochloeo Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    I have had it with BT. If they dont sort out my complaint today I will try email the CEO!
  • woowoor75
    woowoor75 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    is there a company that deals with complains about BT??? i have to say, BT is the worst nightmare....for 3 years i've been billed wrong, i've moved houses and charged twice for the same line, now i've moved house again and i had 3 appointments with engineers, first appointment was delayed without any notice, second appointment the engineer hasn't done anything, the third appointment finally the line was installed, and after 1 day the line is not working.....and they still want me to pay £125.00.........i mean it is absolutely ridiculous....there's gotta be someone that deals with these compalints, and someone must do something about BT because they are absolutely useless!!!!!!!!!!!!! i've had enough of them!!!!!!! please help!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Tony_Mak
    Options
    Well Mr Warren Buckley I hope you read this post! As I can't find your email address!
    I ordered a BT line with Broadband and confirmed by you on 24th April 2010 to be installed on 21st May between 8am and 1pm. I efficiently received letter and a few sms to confirm the appointment. Wow then on taking a day off work on the 21st and waiting for 4 hours, no engineer or calls. I phoned BT went through all the hoops eventually speaking to a human was efficiently cut off. Phoned again and guess what I was again cut off. On the third try I was put through to a understanding person who assured to ring back and let me know of the progress. He did as promised and made an appointment for 26th May 2010 at 10am. I received a call on 24th confirming the appointment and then on 25th I received a sms the appoint is on 9th June between 8am and 1pm. I promptly phoned BT and again went through the hoops only to be told that the appointment has been changed to 9th June, so I asked for a supervisor or manager to call back, as per BT promises there was no call back. So now I have lost two days wages, I still have to pay BT engineer to install a line and having waited over a month for a line to be installed within the London area is acceptable practice?!
    Options
    Hi Ochloeo, Woowoor75 and Tony Mak

I would like to offer help with your individual cases, can you send an email to the address in my profile and we shall investigate for you.

Please include account information and as much information as possible.

Thanks

Stuart
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    ochloeo wrote: »
    I have had it with BT. If they dont sort out my complaint today I will try email the CEO!
    :eek: That'll scare them.

BT have given up on dealing with problems AFAICS. Anything which is run of the mill, they have a go at, but as soon as anything goes wrong, they hang up on you and consign your problem to the 'too hard' pile, by marking it solved.

Their India call centres are in my own experience and as evidenced here often - unfailingly polite, totally incompetent and impotent to deal with anything. BT moved call centres to India to save money. They would have saved more money by not having call centres and not communicating with their customers. And they would probably have a slightly more positive reputation.

[I have never worked for BT, so I am not disgruntled displaced staff either]

So in short, it is probably a waste of time emailing their CEO - he probably gets so much of this type of email that he has an office in India to make it go away.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Mark_In_Hampshire
    Options
    My take on it is slightly different... firstly, no company that regards customer service as a priority, as far as I know, has overseas call centres. That tells you something about the type of companies who use them.

On the other hand, and in their defence, BT were going to try and rectify this obvious service blunder by bringing the service back to the UK only to find their staff not too keen on working in the evenings and weekends.

The overall impression I get of the BT organisation is that there are some very good people working within it, but actually, it's at a higher and more senior level that the problems reside. A general lack of competence and management means that the staff are not effectively trained and no quality of service measures are in place, or if they are, the results are skewed by the fact that so many people simply give up and go elsewhere that the feedback cycle doesn't really exist.

The "sharkish" attitude of the company - again at a senior level - example: sending people bills that have been back dated in such a way that they cannot be paid on time, in an effort to bully people into paying by DD - means complaints and disputed bills. The changes to the times of the free calls in the add on package recently is another good example. As evidenced on here, many people were given many differing responses to a very straightforward change of TS and CS which entitles the customer to cancel without penalty.

It wasn't ambiguous. The senior staff would have well known what an outcry this would (not might, would) cause, and yet the staff that are supposed to deal with it were not even advised on how to deal with it. Class incompetence at the highest level; a company creating its own problems.

I would hypothesise that staff turnover in their call centres is pretty high - people seem to have got so demotivated that they now routinely hang up on people (again evidenced by the variety of posts on here)

The call centre staff appear not to be able to respond to anything in writing, either because their written English isn't quite good enough so it requires someone else to proof read the responses which costs money, or because of a deliberate policy of creating no paper trail - "deny everything".

It's fascinating to actually watch a company quite literally falling to pieces before our very eyes, progressively unlearning basic stuff and unable to even organise installation, billing, and so on. It isn't as if it's one single aspect where it falls down.

Unfortunately, because all telecomms suppliers have no choice but to use the BT Group for the lines, problems and incompetence within the BT Group ("Openreach") then spill out and affect all line suppliers. (Missed appointments and fraudulently charging for repairs, for instance)

However - a great deal of blame for the situation can be laid squarely at the door of the last Conservative administration which ran out of cash and decided to sell off all our national assets, including the trains and BT, without any proper though to how a market can be created.

Things can only be privatised when a market can be created; we now have a privatised monopoly in charge of the delivery system (the lines) and the only real reason for upgrading any of that is to make sure that as people begin to want to stream TV over broadband, they don't simply lose every single customer in cabled areas to Virgin Media who have the only national next-gen ready network, and have had for years, or 3G and then-to-be 4G based solutions.

The whole situation is absurd and more complex than above, but these issues don't quite get to fully explaining just why the company is so inept and people simply give up and leave or patiently spend months trying to resolve simple issues with them which should never have happened anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure