Options

Comments

• JVM
    JVM Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks mr Grumby
    Sorry if I irked you but I find these threads hard to follow :(

I did read the thread again and while I now see there is a reference to the nationwide u16 'policy' the thread doesn't go any further.
    H-L is mentioned but presumably these are not cash junior ISAs. Apart from that there are general comments about Nationwide not being alone!

Does anyone know of a half decent cash ISA that can be opened for a 16 or 17 year old?

Hope I have not missed the vital info....again?
  • Happy_Jack
    Options
    I went into the Halifax in Evesham on Saturday 18th February 2012 and was told by the manager (who was keen to sell me lots of products) that their JISAs will be paying 6% from the new tax year in April, so long as the parent has a cash ISA also. Parents can invest as little as 1%.

This sounds like a good deal, compared to the ~3% deals currently out there. I wonder if others will follow suit?
  • JVM
    Options
    Thanks Happy Jack.
    The interest rate details on Halifax's web site also seem to say that you get the 6% Relationship Interest for children over 16 without the need for the parent ISA account. So it sounds like a really good deal for older kids.

the web site reads...

"The Relationship Interest will also apply to all Junior Cash ISAs where the child is 16 or over whether or not the Registered Contact has a qualifying Halifax cash ISA"
  • kalsha
    kalsha Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JVM wrote: »
    Thanks Happy Jack.
    The interest rate details on Halifax's web site also seem to say that you get the 6% Relationship Interest for children over 16 without the need for the parent ISA account. So it sounds like a really good deal for older kids.

the web site reads...

"The Relationship Interest will also apply to all Junior Cash ISAs where the child is 16 or over whether or not the Registered Contact has a qualifying Halifax cash ISA"

I need to clarify a few points if somone can help. I have read all the postings re above on Hotukdeals. My dd is 16.5yrs old. I don't have an ISA ac with Halifax. I have already used up this year's allowance elsewhere. I do have an fixed term ac with them (Halifax). Will she still get 6% if I opened an ISA for her this year or would I have to wait till after April? She will only be able to have the ISA ac for about 1.5 yrs as she turns 18 then. When she turns 18, do I just transfer it to another ISA without any penalty?
    Many Thanks in advance.
  • Bella2
    Options
    kalsha wrote: »
    I need to clarify a few points if somone can help. I have read all the postings re above on Hotukdeals. My dd is 16.5yrs old. I don't have an ISA ac with Halifax. I have already used up this year's allowance elsewhere. I do have an fixed term ac with them (Halifax). Will she still get 6% if I opened an ISA for her this year or would I have to wait till after April? She will only be able to have the ISA ac for about 1.5 yrs as she turns 18 then. When she turns 18, do I just transfer it to another ISA without any penalty?
    Many Thanks in advance.

Hi
    Yes anyone 16 or over will get the 6% as the account has to be opened in their name so you won't be named on the account .
    If you open the Halifax one they said when she turns 18 it will automatically go to one of there adult variable ISAs.

Hope this helps :j
  • kalsha
    kalsha Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Has anyone opened the Halifax Junior Cash ISA for over 16yr old? Can you confirm that they will get 6% without the adult having an ISA with them? First I was told that if the child is over 16, the relationship interest is automatically applied (6%). But just now I got a phone call from my branch saying that she will only get 3%. Can anyone throw some light on this taken from their website "For children 16 and over, the relationship interest rate will automatically apply to the account". What exactly are they saying?
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,622 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    westy22 wrote: »
    I'm sure that I've read somewhere that this is a valid loophole and 16-18 year olds can benefit from having both a JISA and an adult ISA in the same year. I suspect that if this is true HMRC will waste little time in closing the loophole!

I don't think its really a loophole. A 16/17 year old can open a cash ISA but not a share ISA so they are limited to £5340.

If they open a JISA as well that allows them to buy shares then it is still a lower total annual amount than an adult ISA.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,622 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JVM wrote: »
    Thanks mr Grumby
    Sorry if I irked you but I find these threads hard to follow :(

I did read the thread again and while I now see there is a reference to the nationwide u16 'policy' the thread doesn't go any further.
    H-L is mentioned but presumably these are not cash junior ISAs. Apart from that there are general comments about Nationwide not being alone!

Does anyone know of a half decent cash ISA that can be opened for a 16 or 17 year old?

Hope I have not missed the vital info....again?

A 16/17 year old can open any cash ISA not just restricted to JISAs so if you have a look at the threads on best ISAs you'll find one that should be suitable.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • JVM
    Options
    thanks
    I was hoping to open both a junior and an adult cash ISA for my 16 year old as I understand that can be done.
  • JVM
    Options
    I tried to open the 6% junior cash ISA at local Bank of Scotland branch but they are no longer selling Halifax products and according to the website almost all Halifax branches in Scotland have gone. So, as a branch only account, it is hard to buy this 6% cash Junior ISA if you live in Scotland. :(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback