Get dad from one council house borough to another?

Options

Comments

• sulkisu
    sulkisu Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    edited 16 February 2018 at 2:31PM
    Options
    OP said her dad is in a council home, so mutual exchange is possible.

Contacting your MP is a start, but unfortunately, it all depends on availability of council homes in the area that he wants to move to. We (I used to work in social housing) received letters from MP's, doctors, social workers, teachers on a regular basis, each one stressing how important a move was for their client; unfortunately if there is nothing available - they couldn't be moved or rehoused. Tenants often assumed that a letter from an MP, etc was some kind of magic bullet which would resolve their problem, but unfortunately it usually wasn't. The idea that H of C notepaper, makes miracles happen is simply not true. Not to play down your father's situation but sadly it isn't uncommon so won't necessarily place him top of the list for rehousing.

Mutual exchange is definitely his best bet. There are websites such as Homeswapper, where you can register his details and hopefully find a suitable exchange.

https://www.homeswapper.co.uk

Success will depend on the desirability of his home - e.g location, size, accessibility. Swappers can be incredibly choosy, so it will be helpful if your dad's home is as attractive as possible - e.g. well decorated and well maintained because when you exchange, you basically accept the other home as it is.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In the interim, is your dad gettimg any support from social services to help him to manage?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I need him to be moved to a council house in my borough, but no matter who I call to ask for help, they pass me in circles. I've called his local housing office and they pass me to mine. I call them and they pass me back. I'm getting so frustrated and desperate :( I need to help my dad. How do I do this?
    Its possible to transfer between council properties although transferring between different councils may add hurdles. Speak to the housing officers and explain you're being passed between them. Find out from them if a transfer is possible and how to initiate it.

This suggests the current landlord initiates it.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/council_housing_association/tenancy_transfers
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sulkisu wrote: »
    OP said her dad is in a council home, so mutual exchange is possible.

Contacting your MP is a start, but unfortunately, it all depends on availability of council homes in the area that he wants to move to. We (I used to work in social housing) received letters from MP's, doctors, social workers, teachers on a regular basis, each one stressing how important a move was for their client; unfortunately if there is nothing available - they couldn't be moved or rehoused. Tenants often assumed that a letter from an MP, etc was some kind of magic bullet which would resolve their problem, but unfortunately it usually wasn't. The idea that H of C notepaper, makes miracles happen is simply not true. Not to play down your father's situation but sadly it isn't uncommon so won't necessarily place him top of the list for rehousing.

Mutual exchange is definitely his best bet. There are websites such as Homeswapper, where you can register his details and hopefully find a suitable exchange.

https://www.homeswapper.co.uk

Success will depend on the desirability of his home - e.g location, size, accessibility. Swappers can be incredibly choosy, so it will be helpful if your dad's home is as attractive as possible - e.g. well decorated and well maintained because when you exchange, you basically accept the other home as it is.

I have to agree with this.

What is your local council’s allocation policy? The first sentence of ours says applicants have to have lived in the area for five years. There are exceptions but they are very tight.

We have a huge shortage of social housing - even if someone gets offered somewhere it may well be that it will be rundown in a less than nice area. And people do have high expectations (not you OP). We have had people coming into CAB who think we can ring up the council and tell them to give them a place. I still remember one lady who asked us for a three bedroom house in one of the better areas with a sea view!

I think a swap is one way forward. Your council may have a team in their housing department who assist with finding places to live (not necessarily social housing). Ours is called housing options. If they have it may be worth approaching them for advice/thoughts as opposed to asking for council housing.

Good luck
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Op, have you considered moving to a larger property yourself and then moving your Dad in with you? Surely that would be the easiest solution.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    The idea is that the OPs dad would exchange to be near to the OP, not that the OP exchanges to be near the dad. The dad's in council housing so he can exchange.

OP, I think exchanging is done by a website but I don't know the address. The council in both areas have to agree to it.

Sorry, I misread and thought the op's father was in the private rental?

My parents have done council house exchanges numerous times over the years. It's almost a hobby for them. Not for some years though, but I assume it's still possible.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Get him on the mutual exchange register but I think people stay on them for years. Also get him on your local housing waiting list (preferably for disability/ sheltered accomodation).

I think social services would be your best bet at moving along. I suppose you've missed the boat now but when they are an inpatient you can say it is unsafe for him to be discharged as he hasn't got care etc then they refer them to social services and things would have been put into place prior to leaving hospital. Just rimg them yourself as he is a vulnerable adult.
  • Nullboris
    Options
    Does your Dad have any disability aids in his present place? As they would need to be replicated at his new address .. also they may make it less desirable to a swapper.
    Your dad sounds like he has severe? medical problems , does he require home help or home visits ..?
    imho the fastest way would be as mentioned above, to rent a larger place and have him live-in, that at least would start him on the five year residency rule, and with extenuating medical problems ???
    You haven't mentioned whether there is a deadline to all this ....
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I agree with those who have said that https://www.homeswapper.co.uk/ is the way to go. I got a swap from one area to another through that site. You can swap with any council or Housing Association property of the correct size for needs. When you've found an exchange the council can't refuse unless you have rent debt or have been a problem tenant, as in noisy neighbour etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure