Naked wines - watch your bank account

Options

Comments

• Johny_James
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

It appears (3rd December 2011) that naked may have changed their website and some of the materials to make them clearer.

A voucher from mygreenerhome dot co dot uk stated this on the front

'Using this voucher means that you agree to pay £20 per month in to a Naked cash back account'

Well done on that

And naked's home page now refers to a £20 monthly commitment on the home page, however the reference on the website still does not make it clear that using a voucher automatically signs a user up to be an Angel, so still a little work to do but definitely better!
  • Off_PeakReturn
    Off_PeakReturn Posts: 52 Forumite
    edited 4 December 2011 at 6:43PM
    Options
    My introduction to Naked Wines came via an offer for free cases of wine when I signed up with Ecotricity last June/July. To qualify for the offer, I had to give my debit card details to NakedWines which I wasn't happy about and I was told that this was a legal prerequisite otherwise I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the free wine offer.

OK. So far so good. Didn't sign up for anything else with NakedWines as I'm not a big drinker. Noticed on my October bank statement that £10 had been deducted by NakedWines - this was totally without my knowledge and permission. Fair enough, I complained and the £10 was credited immediately but I was not happy about NakedWines being able to take money from my account without any warning/notification.
  • SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've recently joined Naked Wines and I'm more than happy with them. My £40 voucher was for wine spend of £79.99 or over which is the norm. Originally I had chosen 6 bottles of a single wine that I liked the sound of and there didn't seem to be a problem with that. In the end I actually did change my mind and order a full case of 12 in a preformed case which appealed to me.

Are you absolutely sure your voucher restricted your choices?

Since a lot of the posts here they have simplified the joining of Angels and there are two big boxes before you go to pay where you select whether you do or do not want to join. I decided to, because you can get your money back any time, you get cashback each order and the biggie - another £40 off straight into my account.

It's not a scam. I have looked at other wine offers with Virgin and Laithwaites and this is the one I chose to use a voucher for as I could see myself using them again because of their ongoing offers.
  • Johny_James
    Johny_James Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 14 December 2011 at 2:21AM
    Options
    Hello SandC

Good to hear the process has changed.

Is this the screen that you are referring to?

http://

images.nkdwines.com/images/emails/cashback-confirmation.jpg

I don't believe that the screen was present during my purchasing process, I clicked through from amazon, a similar screen did appear during the cancellation process but not the same one.

If that is the screen that you saw then I think the choices could still be a bit clearer

- Reference to the £40 should be clear that this is not the same £40 from the voucher you are currently using, so as not to allude that pressing no will loose the existing discount.
    - The terminology 'I would be stupid not too' and 'No thanks I've got enough money' are hopefully an attempt to be light hearted, but is kind of car salesman like.
    - The £20 commitment could be in a bigger font or bold and should not really be in box titled 'what's in it for you', when its a commitment rather than a direct benefit.

With Naked holding on to your money, what happens if they have a bad year, if they go bust, is your money insured or protected or would it get frozen and eaten up before you could get at it, the website doesn't talk about that issue as far as I can see, so I don't know.

With Naked storing credit card data, this is noted in the T&Cs, however [a] the T&Cs do not explicitly say that they hold the 3 digit code, which in my view is unusual should be promoted to text appearing in the purchasing process and the fact that they bill your card should be noted in the purchasing process.

Thanks

John
  • talulahbeige_2
    Options
    Naked Wines used to be a very customer service focused company but my recent experience of them is that they are turning into another treat my customers with disrespect.

I placed an order in Dec and the oreder turned up with a bottle missing, they offered a refund of the bottle (no apology) and proceeded to credit the wrong account. This took me 2 weeks to rectify, the customer service girl was at best incompetent and couldnt grasp what she had done, and despite me sending e-mails asking for it to be escalated she failed to do so.

I also have an incentive to buy naked wine gift vouchers through my company, my company subsidise the vouchers so for every £10 voucher I only pay £8. However, I have just found out that they wont pay cashback on these gift vouchers so in actual fact the wine has cost me more than if it was just bought online as an angel. So naked wines have made more profit on me and my company than usual!
    The customer service response - its one of our t&c's.

Despite naked wines selling good wines I have now cancelled my account and wont be using them again.

Bad form Naked Wines
  • JohnG
    JohnG Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Naked Wines used to be a very customer service focused company but my recent experience of them is that they are turning into another treat my customers with disrespect.

Despite naked wines selling good wines I have now cancelled my account and wont be using them again.

Bad form Naked Wines

Were you a member of their 'Angel' scheme?

I'm trying to cancel but I discovered it's probably going to cost me the £40 they gave me to get started in the first place plus I any cash back outstanding.

I will be very very unhappy if I do have to pay back the £40 as there was no mention at the time that this was conditional and that I'd have to repay it??? :mad::mad::mad:

I'll update this situation in due course.
  • JohnG
    Options
    Have just received confirmation that upon cancellation of Angel membership , they will only take back the £40 they may have given you to start with (plus any outstanding cash back) if you havnt already used it!

This is a great relief of course however I think it's a bit sneaky, clever even, to make you think you have to tick a box that allows them to recover the initial £40 they gave to you to start with - it does make you think about continuing on with the cancel request.

What with this and one or two other issues, which led me to want to cancel, it has left a bit of a sour taste. It's a shame as the wine has been very nice (bottles I've tried so far).

In future, I am going to avoid signing up to anymore of these wine clubs/schemes. I'll stick to buying wine as and when I need some locally - it's a lot safer, you know exactly where you stand.

Just to add:
    Obviously it is very important to check Terms & Conditions on these things, ideally before signing up, however somethings are not clear or obvious until a situation arises which can be too late. In the case of the £40 claw back - there is no mention of it in the T&Cs as far as I can see so I've suggested they make this alot clearer at the cancellation stage.
  • I have also had an unpleasant experience with naked wines
    Having been an angel for some time I was disappointed when Naked wines did not honour an offer they made. I rang them up expecting them to be reasonable to a long term customer but received a very patronsing reply - so decided to stop being an angel - they continued to take the money out of my account for several months despite requests to stop. They have now cancelled the account but kept the balance in it. I had read what I had signed up for but do not feel they have honoured their part of the agreement.
  • Jrockz1
    Options
    JohnG wrote: »
    Have just received confirmation that upon cancellation of Angel membership , they will only take back the £40 they may have given you to start with (plus any outstanding cash back) if you havnt already used it!

This is a great relief of course however I think it's a bit sneaky, clever even, to make you think you have to tick a box that allows them to recover the initial £40 they gave to you to start with - it does make you think about continuing on with the cancel request.

So if we buy some wine with the voucher, get it delivered, and THEN cancel the membership, do they still take the £40 back?
  • JohnG
    Options
    Jrockz1 wrote: »
    So if we buy some wine with the voucher, get it delivered, and THEN cancel the membership, do they still take the £40 back?

No, if you've ordered some wine using a £40 voucher then they won't take it back from you.

The point I was making is that if and when you go to cancel your 'Angel' membership using their website, it flags up three statements, the first of which says "You will lose the £40 given to you" It does not clarify that that only applies if you havnt used the £40 for purchasing anything, it makes you think that they will know.

You only lose any outstanding 'Cashback' from your previous order/s made - they won't give you that back.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback