PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Breadmaking - recipes, hints, tips, questions

Options

Comments

• bugs
    bugs Posts: 184 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    megasaver wrote:
    ...the "starter doughs" technique... which might be less time consuming and might produce different results. There is a whole chapter in one of my bread books about this, apparently its the secret to good ciabatta bread (which I really want to make)

Ooh, me too Megasaver! I didn't know that it could be used in a breadmaker though, and it looked too much to think about to do it on its own. Do you remember which book this was in, I'd like to find out more.

I use a recipe for an Italian rustic loaf which is better the longer you leave it to rise, and is a very nice loaf, but it's really just an olive-oil flavoured white loaf. That's from Annette Yates (Right Way) Fresh Bread in the Morning, which I highly recommend (cheap, too!).
    It is not the greatness of a man's means that makes him independent, so much as the smallness of his wants. (William Cobbett)
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    megasaver wrote:
    Hi Curry_Queen, so glad to hear that there is now yet another Panasonic devotee out there and that I not alone in recommending it - the difference is amazing isn't it!

It certainly is!!!!

.... just wondered if you have ever tried the "starter doughs" technique... which might be less time consuming and might produce different results. There is a whole chapter in one of my bread books about this, apparently its the secret to good ciabatta bread (which I really want to make)

Oooooo I'd be very interested to hear more about this as I love ciabatta bread and made a loaf last week following the recipe in the Panasonic book but I was a little disappointed in the outcome. It was ok and certainly edible but not quite as good as I've tasted elsewhere, although I wondered if that's because I'd used EV olive oil instead of the ordinary one :confused:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    One of the TV chefs (possibly Ramsey) recently said that ordinary olive oil is for cooking and extra virgin is for dressings. Not that I take any notice, but it might help you :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    squeaky wrote:
    One of the TV chefs (possibly Ramsey) recently said that ordinary olive oil is for cooking and extra virgin is for dressings. Not that I take any notice, but it might help you :)

Yeah I know that and it's something I've always done, but the recipe in the Panasonic book asked for "virgin olive oil" without differentiating properly between the two, so I decided to opt for the EV version. Maybe I should have followed my instincts and used the ordinary version but I'll certainly try it again to see if it's any better next time.
    ~

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't have any ordinary or virgin, just the EV. Anthing else that needs oil gets bog standard cooking oil :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    Is there much difference apart from flavour and colour? I buy extra virgin and use it for everything except chips.

I just assumed that recipes say ordinary to stop you using the most expensive when you don't need to. I have read other recipes where it says that the flavour of extra virgin is too strong for the delicate flavours of the other ingredients but I ignore that.
  • megasaver
    megasaver Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    For those that asked, here is the ciabatta bread recipe using a starter dough. Because you use a starter dough, the bread apparently has more chance to develop a good flavour and have lots of air holes:

For the biga or starter dough

2.5 ml/ ½ teaspoon easy blend dried yeast

175g /6oz / 1½ cups unbleached white bread flour

200ml / 7fl oz / 7/8 cup water

For the ciabatta dough

1.5ml/¼ teaspoon yeast

325g/11½oz/3 cups unbleached white bread flour

2.5ml/1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar

7.5ml/1½ teaspoon salt

200ml/7fl oz / 7/8 cup water

30ml /2 tablespoons milk

30ml / 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (for CQ ;) …….)

Makes 2 Loaves.

The dough for this bread is extremely wet. Do not be tempted to add more flour – it is meant to be that way!

1. Place ingredients for the starter dough or biga into your bread pan. You may have to reverse the order if necessary!

2. Set your machine on basic dough setting, press start and mix for 5 mins only and then switch off the machine.

3. Leave the starter dough/biga in the machine or place in a large bowl and cover with oiled cling film. Leave it overnight or for at least 12 hours until the dough has risen and is just starting to collapse.

4. Return the starter dough/biga to the pan, add the ingredients for the ciabatta dough – reverse the order if necessary.

5. Set your machine on basic dough setting, press start.

6. When the cycle has finished, transfer the dough to a bowl and cover with oiled cling film. Leave to rise for about 1 hour, until the dough has tripled in size. Sprinkle two baking sheets with flour.

7. Using a spoon or dough scaper, divide the dough into two portions. Carefully tip one portion onto the prepared baking sheet and avoid knocking out the air. Using well floured hands, shape the dough into a rectangular loaf about 1 inch thick. Repeat with the remaining piece of dough.

8. Sprinkle both loaves with flour. Leave them uncovered in a warm place for about 20-30 mins. The dough will spread and rise. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 220OC / 425 OF/Gas 7

9. Bake the ciabatta for 25-30mins or until both loaves have risen and sound hollow when tapped. Transfer to a wire rack to cool before serving.

Ciabatta recipe from the Bread Machine Kitchen Handbook by Jennie Shapter

It is a brilliant book. Cost £9.99, but there is a shorter version costing £4.99 but don’t know the name. I bought this book because I had book vouchers for my birthday and it contains over 150 recipes, which I am working my way through. All the recipes I have tried have worked really really well.

I’d love to know if anybody tries the above recipe, because I haven't yet!

megaxx
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Magentasue wrote:
    Is there much difference apart from flavour and colour? I buy extra virgin and use it for everything except chips.

I just assumed that recipes say ordinary to stop you using the most expensive when you don't need to. I have read other recipes where it says that the flavour of extra virgin is too strong for the delicate flavours of the other ingredients but I ignore that.

Extra Virgin is a much more refined oil which has undergone more pressings, hence it being more expensive, but it does have a much stronger flavour and is more suited to use in making dressings or drizzling over cooked dishes. The ordinary olive oil is what is used to cook with and can withstand a much higher temperature than ordinary oils such as veg, sunflower etc so is also very good for deep frying as well as stir-fries and general frying/sauteeing etc.

I use olive oil for almost everything and the only time I ever use veg oil is when making curries (if I have no ghee) and cooking fried eggs ;)
    ~

• megasaver
    megasaver Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    Extra Virgin is a much more refined oil which has undergone more pressings, hence it being more expensive, but it does have a much stronger flavour and is more suited to use in making dressings or drizzling over cooked dishes. The ordinary olive oil is what is used to cook with and can withstand a much higher temperature than ordinary oils such as veg, sunflower etc so is also very good for deep frying as well as stir-fries and general frying/sauteeing etc.

I use olive oil for almost everything and the only time I ever use veg oil is when making curries (if I have no ghee) and cooking fried eggs ;)

I'm really really sorry Curry_Queen, but I have to disagree with you. Being Italian myself, I have always taken the following for granted:
    Extra virgin oil is made from the very first ever pressing of the olives (hence the stronger flavour, the greener colour, and the name because it is the least mucked about!) It is used cold in dressings and for dipping bread into because of the wonderful flavour.
    Virgin oil is made from the second pressing of the same olives or the first pressing of inferior olives (so still technically virgin) It is used for dressings and more and more for cooking as the flavour is not so strong.
    Olive oil is made from subsequent pressings of the olives and is usually mixed with other oils and is often used for cooking, as it has a mild flavour that will not usually be passed onto other food when cooked.

mega xx
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, that's what I always thought - what I meant was, I don't think there's a difference in the way they can be used - in as much as you could use any for bread and though there might be a difference in flavour, it shouldn't affect the texture etc.

I buy extra virgin because it's less refined but only the Lidl or supermarket version. I know that experts rate olive oil like wine and some single estate ones are better than the blended cheaper ones.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure