Update! Santander First Home Saver Account: 5% on up to 50k savings (up to 35 only)

Options

Comments

• afmfifgh
    afmfifgh Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 November 2011 at 7:20PM
    Options
    Just to let people know that the account is still paying 5% as of 30/11/2011.

Page 10 of 13 about half way down:

http://www.santander.co.uk/csgs/StaticBS?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1223417677074&cachecontrol=immediate&ssbinary=true&maxage=3600

When you open the account you open it with a set of terms and conditions. Read those and you will see the account doesn't drop to zero. I suggest anyone who has Santander telling them otherwise gets them to quote the SPECIFIC part of T&C's that they are talking about. Just because they say something it means nothing if the T&C's don't back them up.

This link may be of use when talking to Santander staff: http://www.santander.co.uk/csgs/Satellite?pagename=Abbeycom%2FGSPageDetail%2FWC_ACOM_PrintB&canal=CABBEYCOM&empr=Abbeycom&leng=en_GB&cid=1210611105365#1210618105174
  • MOPI
    MOPI Posts: 199 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi just to confirm that I sent a secure message to Santander regarding the interest rate on the account after 12 months. Their initial response was it dropped to 0.1% however when I replied and pointed them in the direction of the webpage mentioned above and the T&C's I received when opening the account they apologised and stated that in fact it was still 5% until they decide otherwise.

I hope that provides clarification for everyone! However I am sure that Santander staff will continue to mis-advise customers.

Thanks
  • pazza2000
    Options
    Is the general consensus that the 5% Int rate will eventally come to an end, and in the near future? I have been considering withdrawing my monies as I have another savings oppourtunity that will guarantee me just under 5% for 2 years.

Obviously this is at present still the better rate, however if it is likely to come to an end soon then perhaps I should bare this in mind. Of course, I apreciate that nothing is guaranteed here.
  • atypical
    atypical Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    Options
    pazza2000 wrote: »
    Is the general consensus that the 5% Int rate will eventally come to an end, and in the near future? I have been considering withdrawing my monies as I have another savings oppourtunity that will guarantee me just under 5% for 2 years.
    No one knows, but I think most assume it will end sooner rather than later. 2 years is a long time.

You could perhaps put half of the amount in the near 5%, 2 year opportunity (what is this out of interest?) and leave the rest in the Home Saver.

edit: Just remembered that you can't make partial withdrawals so that wouldn't work.
  • ceh209
    ceh209 Posts: 876 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I normally religiously put £300 a month in this account, £100 by SO and £200 manually (in case I don't have spare money that month).

Is it every calendar month you have to deposit £300? Because in Nov it seems I put £200 in as soon as I got paid on the 29th, meaning I've put £500 in in November.

So have I lost my interest for that month? I know it won't be much I've lost but just wondering whether I can put another £200 in now as I haven't done £300 in December yet!
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
  • afmfifgh
    Options
    Just to let people know that the account is still paying 5% as of 31/12/2011.

Page 10 of 14 about half way down:

http://www.santander.co.uk/csgs/StaticBS?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1223418328271&cachecontrol=immediate&ssbinary=true&maxage=3600

For the above poster I think it is per calendar month but I suggest you check before acting on what I say. If you look a few posts above I posted a link to the account summary and on that it states 'month' as opposed to say every 30 days.
  • pazza2000
    pazza2000 Posts: 558 Forumite
    Options
    Another question re. this account. Intrest is paid on a yearly basis as we know. However, if one was to close and withdraw early I assume the interest up to that date would be applied?

Good to see that a mortgage interview is no longer required with Santander before allowing withdrawel.
  • afmfifgh
    edited 17 January 2012 at 1:15PM
    Options
    Just to let people know that the account is still paying 5% as of 17/101/2012.

Page 10 of 14 about half way down, Rates correct as of 3rd January 2012:

http://www.santander.co.uk/csgs/StaticBS?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1223419040757&cachecontrol=immediate&ssbinary=true&maxage=3600

Thought I would recheck the amount the account was paying early having had 2 phone calls from Santander this week (my account anniversary month), first one telling me the rate would no longer be at the higher rate as "most" accounts have only a 12 month bonus, which led me to ask for the specific T&C that made that apply to this account, they eventually realised I knew more than them :p.

Then the second one telling me how I should really consider getting a mortgage at the moment to which I just :rotfl: saying I am quite happy with getting 5% and the outlook on house prices being down with the economy and Europe only likely to drag prices down further and although any increase in interest rates would mean higher mortgage costs they are more likely than not going to be more than offset by the fall in prices that any rise would cause given the level of personal debt.

As for the last question, interest is calculated on the daily balance and one would assume (but we know what assumption can make of you) that you would get part year interest paid, I don't recall seeing anything that said otherwise but as ever best you try to dig out the T&C's from when you opened the account just to be sure. No part withdrawals are allowed I know that for sure and it isn't a bond type account with a minimum term so I would say you would be safe to close it on a date other than the yearly anniversary.
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    pazza2000 wrote: »
    However, if one was to close and withdraw early I assume the interest up to that date would be applied?

Yes, that is completely correct.
  • londoner01
    Options
    Thanks for checking that the rate is still 5%! :)
    Saving £10,000 in 2013: £4491.48/£10,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport