Halifax clarity

Options
I did the money exchange calculator thing and put collection and this card came top but just HOW do you get the money whilst still in tbe UK? I have always gone into a shop,ordered currency then gone to pick it up but havent a clue how i go about things with that card.i hope somebody can help me out.sorry for being so dim.....

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    Options
    You go to the airport and get on a plane to a foreign land.

When you get off the plane in that foreign land, you head to an ATM and withdraw cash from it on your Clarity card.
  • echo08
    echo08 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you so much for putting it in such easy terms for an oldie like myself
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    echo08 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for putting it in such easy terms for an oldie like myself

make sure you choose the local currency without conversion

and it is a credit card so dont forget to pay off the balance as soon as you get home.

or to save a few pennies some pay it off while still away
  • echo08
    echo08 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Cheers.i have always paid it off in full as soon as i get the bill
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would always take a VISA card of some sort as an emergency back-up. Not all foreign ATMs accept MasterCard.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    echo08 wrote: »
    Cheers.i have always paid it off in full as soon as i get the bill
    I think the point is that getting money from an ATM attracts interest immediately so, if you are particularly frugal, you should get online & pay it off immediately.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    I think the point is that getting money from an ATM attracts interest immediately so, if you are particularly frugal, you should get online & pay it off immediately.

Although some would say it distracts you from being on holiday, it's not a bad idea to keep an eye on your accounts while away. I once had a card cloned and the maximum cash withdrawal made every day - it took 2-3 days before the transactions appeared on the account at which time I had the card stopped, but if I hadn't looked at the account I'd have had a bigger mess to clean up with the card issuer. At least it was a credit card so the money wasn't coming out of my current account.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,963 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    benjus wrote: »
    Although some would say it distracts you from being on holiday, it's not a bad idea to keep an eye on your accounts while away. I once had a card cloned and the maximum cash withdrawal made every day - it took 2-3 days before the transactions appeared on the account at which time I had the card stopped, but if I hadn't looked at the account I'd have had a bigger mess to clean up with the card issuer. At least it was a credit card so the money wasn't coming out of my current account.

Make sure you are using a secure connection no point logging in from an unprotected internet cafe only to find that you are giving away all security to your accounts!
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would always take a VISA card of some sort as an emergency back-up. Not all foreign ATMs accept MasterCard.

I've never known anywhere take Visa but not MC (or vice versa) but at least one backup card is always a good idea. Just make sure you keep it separate from your Clarity card in case your wallet/purse is lost or stolen.

The Clarity interest rate works out at about 3p per £100 per day so I don't get too stressed about paying it off while on holiday but I typically do so when I get home before the statement date.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Make sure you are using a secure connection no point logging in from an unprotected internet cafe only to find that you are giving away all security to your accounts!

All smartphone based these days... but yes, if you don't have a smartphone don't go logging on to your internet banking from any old computer.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills