Half a house

Options

Comments

• Silence101
    Silence101 Posts: 396 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    MichaelDH wrote: »
    Solicitors can be a complete nightmare to deal with. When we bought our house the solicitors we used were excellent, and came very highly recommended, but our vendors solicitor and estate agent were awful and needed to be chased constantly, to the point that we actually told the estate agent that we were pulling out unless they pulled their socks up. Fingers crossed the searches don't take too long and all comes back ok.
    Thanks! I'm assuming that as it's a new build, there can't be much wrong about the searches, but you never know!
  • Silence101
    Options
    I was just planning on calling the solicitors on Monday, completely forgetting it's a bank holiday! We hopefully won't have to spend much, apart from food. And might have time to sort out some more drawers and bookshelves.
    So this is to wish you all a very MSE bank holiday!
  • Poorlittletightgirl
    Options
    Can you have a look on local FB selling sites/gumtr3e for bunk beds? I just bought an almost new Ike@ toddler bed for £10. Some great deals out there.
  • Silence101
    Options
    Can you have a look on local FB selling sites/gumtr3e for bunk beds? I just bought an almost new Ike@ toddler bed for £10. Some great deals out there.
    That's a good idea thanks! We also need a fridge, so I might as well have a look for that too! At the moment, it still doesn't feel real, so I'm finding it hard to put any plans into action, but it's a good idea to know where I should look once we have exchanged!
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Morning (up with a non sleeping toddler, so reading and subscribing to diaries to pass the time while he lays eyes open, but calm in my arms)

A few pages back you said something about costs when you move in that you hoped wouldn't be there as it's a new build - I think.
    If there are any snags with the house, get onto the builders and nag them to get it sorted. Try and get someone (from the builders) to go round with you before you move in and check the house, making a list of things you aren't happy with. Things like bits not being finished off neatly. Then, once you moved in and started noticing things, get them back.
    You are paying a lot of money for this, they have to get it right.

You sound like you are doing really well, I hope you get things sorted quickly. As well as fb groups, download Shpock! For 2nd hand things. Dead easy to use and you can search by location so you may find the things you need near your new house as well as the old. Also, bigger items, like bunk beds try and arrange collection on the day you have the van to move, bit of a pain as you'll be busy, but easier than trying to fit a bed in the car.

Finally, if you buy any second hand electrical items, try and get them pat tested for electrical safety. You may know someone who can do it, but if
    You don't, it's worth ringing round bigger electrician companies and finding out if you can take things to them for pat testing (should be about £1 an item) my hubby works I. The entertainment industry so we just ask one of the theatre sparks to check our stuff, usually in return for beer.

Have a great Day, I'm subscribing.
    Wish.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Silence101
    Options
    Morning (up with a non sleeping toddler, so reading and subscribing to diaries to pass the time while he lays eyes open, but calm in my arms)

A few pages back you said something about costs when you move in that you hoped wouldn't be there as it's a new build - I think.
    If there are any snags with the house, get onto the builders and nag them to get it sorted. Try and get someone (from the builders) to go round with you before you move in and check the house, making a list of things you aren't happy with. Things like bits not being finished off neatly. Then, once you moved in and started noticing things, get them back.
    You are paying a lot of money for this, they have to get it right.

You sound like you are doing really well, I hope you get things sorted quickly. As well as fb groups, download Shpock! For 2nd hand things. Dead easy to use and you can search by location so you may find the things you need near your new house as well as the old. Also, bigger items, like bunk beds try and arrange collection on the day you have the van to move, bit of a pain as you'll be busy, but easier than trying to fit a bed in the car.

Finally, if you buy any second hand electrical items, try and get them pat tested for electrical safety. You may know someone who can do it, but if
    You don't, it's worth ringing round bigger electrician companies and finding out if you can take things to them for pat testing (should be about £1 an item) my hubby works I. The entertainment industry so we just ask one of the theatre sparks to check our stuff, usually in return for beer.

Have a great Day, I'm subscribing.
    Wish.

Ooh, that's an early wake up for such a little person! My eldest usually tries to wake us up at 6, and we find that early!

Thank you so much for all the tips! We wouldn't have thought about the van idea for the bunk beds or the pat testing. Our next door neighbour is an electrician so I'll ask him if we end up finding a second hand fridge, and dishwasher.

We're now at a standstill due to the bank holiday, paperwork wise. As DH is back from a week away, I'm hoping we can try and find boxes to start packing the seldom used stuff (and then get rid of the full boxes as we obviously don't need them :rotfl:)
  • Silence101
    Options
    DH has gone to look for boxes. We've been playing with bits of paper showing our furniture to scale with the new room layout, and it's pretty obvious we won't be able to fit all the furniture. We're going from separate dining and sitting rooms to one room that needs to fit everything. I think we're losing about 40/45% of the space we have currently downstairs. I think we will also lose a bit of space upstairs as they've added a bathroom there.
    I think we basically need to get rid of a 1/3 of our stuff, which seems like a crazy amount!
  • Silence101
    Options
    No boxes found, but we're starting to think about where we could put floating shelves. Our initial budget is going on flooring, so these might be projects to do at a later date.
  • Silence101
    Options
    I've thought of a million and one things that we need to check with the solicitors. I was going to phone them today, forgetting it was a bank holiday!
    Sorted through a few more bits today, so we are creating a bit of space. The storage cupboards are getting slightly emptier. I can't see us becoming minimalists yet, but it would be great to take steps in that direction.
  • Silence101
    Options
    We're still waiting for the searches to come back (the bank holiday hasn't helped). Solicitors think it'll be another week, so we probably won't have any updates until then.

I need to take a lot of books to the charity shop later, and try and fill another box up with unwanted stuff. If we manage to fill a box a day we should manage to declutter quite a large amount in a short amount of time. I sometimes dream of a skip, but doubt we'd fill it. It would just be easier to chuck everything out of the window.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure