Blowing in the Winds of Change

Options

Comments

• *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Oh Mila, I'm sorry, I wasn't criticising your family and I'm sure your DH thought he'd chosen the best option for you all, but sometimes there really are no choices that work for everyone. :(
    If only are two such sad words, aren't they?
    Some people come through adversity much stronger than when things started to go wrong for them, while others are broken by it - but you're right, it's up to the individual how they choose to live their own life, learning or not from the lessons it brings..

Wish I could find better words right now; all I can offer is a virtual (((hug))).
  • Dansmam
    Dansmam Posts: 677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning Robin - you were up late! Hope that means you're on the mend, not feeling rotten. Also hope CD doesn't get too fat!
    Mila more hugs from me x - so difficult to do the best for everyone and the blended family can be such a tricky thing - time will be helping, I hope. So many choices we can make and it's only time proves which were the good ones. I like your Divo philosophy on children Robin. We have similar here but I'll be reminding them all that it's 2 decades' commitment from now on. Today's task is to help a 28 year old clear old junk out of her former bedroom. Can I borrow one of your sighs please...��
    I have borrowed from my future self
    The banks are not our friends
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Robin, what an amazing adventure. i too feel sorry for the damaged goods in families. My step bro wasn't as bad as either of those mentioned, but he can't be trusted with money at all and lives in a world where he works really hard at something for a bit and then self destructs and flees. I sadly wouldn't let him in the door of my home....It is hard when you have to accept that there really IS nothing you can do.

the festival sounds fantastic. I will mention it to some friends i the UK who would love it.

take care
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • *Robin*
    edited 15 August 2016 at 3:20PM
    Options
    Hello Dear MSE Friends, :hello:

Not so good here over the last couple of days. Bug or ME crash or both I honestly can't tell, but I've made a right royal muck up of things. Fever retreated - or Muggins thought it had - but balance was suddenly a real problem. Found m'self envious of a couple of people speeding past us on mobility-scooters as Dear Dog and I wobbled along..
    We got lost! Divo Four was away at a weekend housewarming bash, but we both forgot CD had run out of sausages when he stocked up camper-van's fridge before leaving, so she and I set out to find some as the mission of our afternoon walk.
    Big mistake. Suburbia is full of streets that look the same when one can't remember names on signposts for more than a few seconds. Checking m' local map later on, I think we wandered nearly a couple of miles along back-roads before eventually coming across an unmistakable landmark; the river. At least there were benches along the tow-path to break up the mile back to base we still had to do (m' fever returned, and alarmingly right eye lost the ability to focus - that's a new one!).
    CD collapsed happily into sleep while I spent some time in an exhausted stupor; still no sausages. Spotted the menu of the closest takeaway to PNH on a shelf - brainwave - advantage of being in a city - restaurants deliver! Menu said I could order on-line.. Great (wasn't confident of being able to produce coherent speech at that point). While working through the unfamiliar meal-summoning rigmarole yours truly forgot about sausages again - in fact there were none available from this particular restaurant - but found duck fillets. CD likes a duck (admittedly that was in bygone years, and preferably quacking - still, in a foil tray would be better than being offered yet more McNasties which she'd lost interest in by then). Without a sauce it was actually one of the cheapest options on the menu too - great again.
    Took me longer to get through the ordering process than it did for our dinner to arrive - in an electric taxi, which was a surprise (bit of an overkill for transporting a single paper sack? Free delivery to me so hard to see how that's economic for the restaurant).
    CD and I shared the duck - plenty for us both, topped up for me with a rather good complimentary salad I'd not ordered so wasn't expecting. Yesterday when he got back starving hungry - trains delayed - Divo Four wolfed down the veg curry dishes & naan I'd actually ordered for m'self but couldn't manage the night before.

Anyway. Yesterday morning Lappy had a fit. Don't think it was m' brain-fog which caused it to zilch every window I tried to open, then produced dozens more of it's own I hadn't asked it to. After that it wouldn't shut down. Forced it to.. Then it wouldn't fire up! ..Terminal decline?
    Brain fog + frustration are not good bed-fellows.
    DS' kind housemate tried to help but is a fruity-i-thing user so gave up quickly. He did locate a PC W0rld shop close by and open on Sunday though, so after taking precautions - breakfast with full range of supplements and a couple of painkillers then put head under cold shower [me not CD!] - we went for it; checked tatting-down procedures twice against list taped to sun-visor:
    Disconnect lekky house end first, righty-tighty shut off gas, loo valve definitely shut, all plugs in [both sinks + shower], windows & roof-light closed and locked, blinds up, glass cooker lid down, fridge engine-power switch on, everything loose put in cupboards or large box on floor, check cupboard doors locked, take CD for a short comfort-break [she will pee on command if she needs one] then secure CD to her 'doggie-seat-belt'.

20mph city speed limits, people expecting camper-vans to be driven slowly and carefully, and a lack of week-day boy-racers all worked in m' favour. Plus, though I say it m'self; am a bluddy good driver even when the rest of life is falling apart. The trip across town was safe enough because I was concentrating hard, watching for kids running out, etc (none did).
    The manager gave CD special dispensation to come into the shop. Never been inside PC W0rld before so had no idea that it operates on Ryan@ir principles.. Gosh - all the laptops seemed so cheap! Progress following the young man allocated to assist me was slowed down by other customers petting CD (as usual).
    My parameters proved impossible to satisfy: 1. Nothing produced by an Israeli company (anyone looked at G00gle maps recently? Israel has conspired to obliterate Palestine, which they're also doing in RL. If only their state-sponsored murders got half the exposure given to terrorist atrocities in Europe!). 2. Nothing made in China - partly because of the appalling treatment of workers in electronics factories, ditto in the Chinese-controlled mines producing rare metals in 3rd World countries [for said factories], but mainly because of what China has done and is still doing to Tibet.
    Stuffed: Every single laptop we looked at was produced in China!
    With hindsight, I should have walked out then. But, flagging and becoming increasingly confused, I allowed the assistant to steer me towards a Dell (some of these are made in Poland). Fine, I'll take it. Oh, none in stock? What's the closest in spec? That one - yes it'll do. In purple, fine. Also out of stock, ok in blue then..
    At this point Assistant actually proffered a box. Then indicated the add-ons; an extra £130 for office, anti-virus and something else.
    "No thanks, it'll be running Linux."
    "In that case there is a £35 charge to prepare it for you"
    "Pardon?" He was patient:
    "You said you want to use it straight away. We'll prepare it, back up the operating systems and give you a memory-stick."
    "As part of the prep you'll put a month's anti-virus trial on it - to give my son time to install Linux?"
    "Yes, of course."
    "Ok, let's get on with it then.. Where do I pay?" (My head spinning, CD lagging behind because customers from the telly and fridge sections of the shop had discovered her and were queuing for a cuddle by this time).
    "You'll have to come back tomorrow to collect it."
    "WHAT? I told you, I came here to buy a laptop which I can use today! If you can't supply that you've just lost the sale.."
    "Well, we do have a couple that are already prepared.."
    "So why did you waste both our time by showing me all these others?"
    He pointed at a red machine. "I've got one of these, it's the closest in spec to the one you chose."
    What a surprise; £75 more expensive. <sigh>
    "All right - forget the external hard-drive I was going to buy then, I'll take the red laptop which is ready to go.."
    A sealed box was produced but we had one more leaf from Mike O'Leary's book to negotiate; insurance. Shop Manager looked at my face and magnanimously offered a month free..
    CD and I were tripping over each other as we fled back to camper-van. Never have I been so grateful for this van with it's welcoming bed and ability to make tea at any location..

You've probably already guessed what happened after I summoned enough energy to return safely to base and extract the red laptop from it's box: It's a dud.
    Not new, been returned twice already by the look of things, and definitely does not work.

Last night Divo Four loaned me his old Dell. On-line DS2 had somehow intuited my distress because unexpectedly he got in touch.. Listened to the sorry tale, asked me to try firing up ol' lappy in safe mode - and then used his prodigious skill to fix it [more-or-less] remotely!

So today DS4 and I are going to have to return the red one and get the money back. At least I paid for it with a CC..

Point of this waffle: To remind me to get PoA updated - current one gives power to DH; not much use because he's 'late' of course - in case this is the beginning of another unrecoverable ME slide.. Can't afford to splash out £££ on palavas like the above.

Spends:
    Take-away - £20
    Broken red laptop - £408 :mad:
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Take care you Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • Dansmam
    Dansmam Posts: 677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Robin I am so glad you are posting again. That was the most hilariously accurate description of an attempt to purchase from the warehouse of horrors &#55357;&#56832;. Liked the political take on it all - if I'd thought about it I'd not have thought we were at one on those things, so an enjoyable surprise! (oh what prejudiced assumptions this internet thingy leads us into&#55357;&#56900;). CD admirers everywhere will also be chortling. As for your health I just echo plmbl while admiring the sheers guts and determination that deals with the tedious van-to-go tasks and avoids thankfully non-transpiring small child hazards all while in a bit of a fug.
    Serious note now, if you are PoA-ing and the Divos know what you want, in your shoes I'm pretty sure I'd want to do the healthcare one as well as the financial one. Life can take difficult turns, as well we know, and there've been situations with dad, then exOH and currently with aged much.loved mum when we've needed to ask what they think when they're really not well enough to know. But we knew and could only express preferences. Medics would have preferred a bit more certainty, and it would have helped them and us to say, not suggest, what we thought was for the best x
    Back to cheerful notes - lurcher lad met a chubby whippet yesterday - quite a shock for me and DD to pet a dog and find our fingers sinking in! Beautiful little thing the whippet was, but lurcher lad is fit as a lop and drew admiring glances from fat whippet's human family. Who are hopefully walking her for miles today!
    DD planning her return to the sun, probably solo next time but there's a romance out there, so we'll see how that goes after he visits the chilly north of England. Time will tell...
    Thinking of you and hoping the fug clears shortly. I have lurcher lad on gp now as I suspect incipient arthritis - we'll see if it stops him groaning when he changes sofas. It's a hard life when you're a hound!
    I have borrowed from my future self
    The banks are not our friends
  • *Robin*
    edited 16 August 2016 at 1:49AM
    Options
    Thanks, Lucky - am trying to! :)

Dansmam - Did you got the bedroom sorted? Erm, and with any luck the owner of all the stuff removed it further away from your home than the loft or the garage (which is what usually happens in our family :rotfl:)!
    Do hope the whole procedure went well, without <sighs> being required. ;)

Chev - thanks for popping in.. :)
    ..Struck me; one very useful thing about living where you do, is that DSB turning up on your doorstep is unlikely to be a regular problem? Guess he probably knows his family aren't exactly proud of him, which is a shame - unless it spurs him on to change his ways, of course.

Gosh, didn't I waffle on earlier? :o
    ..An attempt to preserve the memories at a time when that would prove difficult, perhaps?

Anyway, here's a shorter, much more cheerful up-date:
    Today's Shop Manager at PC W0rld was also a dog-lover who welcomed CD effusively, before handing us over to Technical Manager. He listened to an annotated version of yesterday's tale of woe before trying the red laptop for himself.
    ..Less than ten minutes later he was refunding my money cheerfully, no arguments at all! The box was given a large "reject" sticker while I watched, so now won't be sold on accidentally to another unsuspecting customer. The laptop has multiple faults - none of 'em anything to do with my confused brain having done something wrong; phew! :D
    Therefore reckon PC W0rld deserve three gold stars for customer service: :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin
    (***Edited - having thought more on it, rather suspect the staff are trained in US-style techniques for dealing with the public; will expand - and probably expound - tomorrow).
    However, will not be buying my next device there alas (unless they start selling European-made computers).

Gains:
    Broken laptop refund... +£408 :T
  • Brightspark87
    Options
    Hi Robin

I know what you mean regarding that type of laptop purchase! Well done on getting a refund smoothly and quickly....

I hope that CD is feeling more herself after her turn recently. I've bought Penny a cooling coat (bit big at the moment) as she gets very warm and they are recommended for certain types of doggies.

What adventures are you up to this week? xx

Paid off all Catalogues 10.10.2014
  • *Robin*
    edited 27 August 2016 at 12:02PM
    Options
    Hello World, :hello:

Had a few problems with internet access recently, so it's been a while since m' last post; apologies..

DS4, CD and I celebrated my birthday with a river-bank walk under the light of a glorious full Moon complete with perfect corona. The idea was to end up at a certain pub for dinner, but it turned out they only took orders between 1800 - 2100, and we arrived at 2115.. They were also not very dog-friendly, so instead we took the advice of a holiday-making bargee and went for an Indian takeaway which we ate on the river-bank in comfort, borrowing table and chairs from a tea-shop which had already shut for the night. Reckon Divo Four saved about £30 and both suspected we ended up with a rather better meal than the pub would have provided (plus there was enough left-over to feed us the following day ;)).
    Divo Three and GGF drove across from their job to share a commemorative dinner on DH's birthday, then both lads took GGF punting the next day (DS4 on his lunch-break). Apparently they got a lot of unwanted attention from a couple of drunken hen-parties who were under the impression that my shirtless Divos were punt-chauffeurs, and GGF was much photographed - along with her champagne & strawberry brunch - by oriental tourists who mistook her for a famous catwalk super-model! :rotfl:

Meanwhile I've been getting to know PNH; it needs a lot of work, but has even more potential. DS1 has seen and approves of this project, ditto DSD2 and DS3 (the builder, the designer and the intuitive one ;)). CD seems to love the place too (which counts a lot for me, although I know it's seriously daft to think like that!).
    Muggins is likely to lose debt-free status for a while; the numbers are mind-bogglingly enormous, but my short-term shortfall is only about 10% - which ironically would be enough to buy a similar house outright in a less pricey area - so perhaps a bridging loan would be the answer (given that any normal mortgage company is unlikely to accept me)?
    Before then there may be a legal row, but I have a good case and a barrister on-board [gratis] so fingers crossed the other party will capitulate (in which case said short-term loan shouldn't be necessary).

CD's health is giving cause for concern, yet again. <sigh>
    Nothing concrete, but she just doesn't look 'quite right' to me.. Several long 'phone-calls located a vet with experience of CD's chronic condition. The clinic has parking I can get camper-van into without risking an insurance claim, so we're going for a check-up later today. Am a tad appalled that the tests which cost 22€ in Spain will set me back £130 here, but so it goes; there is no other way to find out for sure whether my dear companion needs an adjustment to her meds or diet in order to keep her pain-free through these twilight days..

Spends:
    BT internet pass - £6.95
    Meal on DH's birthday - £33
    Groceries / cleaning stuff top-up for van - £30
    Groceries for DS4, store-cupboard items for PNH - £70
  • *Robin*
    edited 28 August 2016 at 1:32PM
    Options
    Good morning MSEers, :hello:

CD's vet visit yesterday went very well indeed, certainly much better than expected! It took three of us two attempts to extract half a blood sample, but the vet said she'd got enough for a basic screen so we didn't put CD through the performance a third time.
    Vet was surprisingly encouraging; said she thought CD is in great condition considering her age and diagnosis, and CD's reaction when she felt the hair-clippers proved her brain is still sharp and she's got plenty of fight left in her, all of which cheered me up! :D

On the way back CD whinged unceasingly, so after picking up a new gas bottle I abandoned thoughts of driving out to somewhere salubrious for a walk and just returned to PNH. CD jumped out of the van, stalked imperiously inside the house and lay down on what has already become her favourite rug. She then sulked, refusing to acknowledge me, so I left her there with DS' bemused but enchanted housemate..
    Three hours later she was singing at the back gate, ready to forgive me and go for a wander along the river-bank. The tow-path makes a lovely local walk, easy for us both with no trip hazards and plenty of handy benches for resting on.
    Spotted an amusing sign: By Order of the River Authority - No horses permitted on the tow-path. Oh, the irony! :rotfl:

Spends:
    Vet - £120 (cheaper than expected because CD refused to provide the second sample <sigh>).
    Gas bottle - £23.75
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport