Options

Comments

• Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 April 2016 at 11:26PM
    Options
    For stir fry, gas is still better.

It is possible to have both gas and induction. The simplest is to use domino modules.

http://www.johnlewis.com/bosch-pie375c14e-domino-induction-hob-black/p729130

http://www.johnlewis.com/bosch-pra326b70e-domino-gas-hob-black/p729084

If you have the space, and a wide enough hood:

http://www.johnlewis.com/aeg-hd955100nb-built-in-glass-induction-and-gas-hob-black/p1853306

There is so much splashing about during stir fry, the surrounding pots get greasy. Ideally, I would want a standalone stir fry station, gas, of course.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    +6 for induction, I'll never go back to the middle ages. I have a 35cm heavy duty Fissler Nanjing wok and a range of 11" fissler panware on induction and they work fine and will look as good in a 5 decades as they do now because of induction. Best of luck.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    One of the best things about induction is, if you are boiling say a gammon, and it's a tight fit in the pan so you know you are going to have water escape, you put a tea towel down on the hob first so you have easy mop up :)
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Suki. It must be nerve wracking the first time you put a cloth under a pan on a hob! Mind you, I suppose it is a similar principle to putting things in a microwave which won't burn. Something I would get used to doing eventually.
    Dh has eventually agreed that we can go for an induction hob, with a capped-off gas supply in the kitchen.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • Londoner_1
    Londoner_1 Posts: 180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Induction is good but its only good for certain type of food and for the western pallete. Asian food does not cook well on it as asian foods needs to be thoroughly cooked.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Switching on is also easier, as you just turn a knob instead of needing to also work the ignition.
    Is that really an issue for anyone?

Sometimes things get to a point where they are so easy that there is no need to make them easier. :rotfl:
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Londoner_1 wrote: »
    Induction is good but its only good for certain type of food and for the western pallete. Asian food does not cook well on it as asian foods needs to be thoroughly cooked.

What a load of tosh!!!
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options

You have obviously never used an induction hob.;)
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options

20kWh 300 size fully variable induction is widely used by the catering industry. My own domestic dwelling unit as already stated works, and works well with my panware. Pallete and ethnicity are irrelevant to the debate.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lstar337 wrote: »
    Is that really an issue for anyone?

Sometimes things get to a point where they are so easy that there is no need to make them easier. :rotfl:

After using electric for many years, I found having to use two hands to ignite a gas hob rather annoying, as it meant putting down any item being held.

Not a big issue, but another item in favour of electric hobs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure