PLEASE READ - Posts by the MSE Team and BG's - merged

Options

Comments

• ROBDOLPHIN66
    ROBDOLPHIN66 Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Surely we should be given the choice, rather than having them arbitrarily taken away. Personally it is very rare that I would pay 50p for a text comp. and I certainly would not pay £1.50 - but that is the point - it is my choice.

It is also interesting to see that there has not been one single post so far supporting the idea.
  • schizometric
    Options
    I do the postals too and would hate to see these go! Surely they are quite inoffensive? I do agree with the £1.50 rule though - to an extent, but see below...

Also it is a personal choice to enter any competition surely - we all have the capacity to make decisions for ourselves so why not just leave the pay-to-enter comps? People realise they have a minimal chance of winning most of them I would think! You don't buy a laptop specifically in the hope you will win something! If you do you're daft, frankly. OK maybe a magnum...! but people get enjoyment out of those as well as entering comps I guess. £1.50 per text is silly too but choice is paramount!
    2008-2011: £23k of wins :eek:
    2011 best win: my wedding ring :o
    2012 best win so far: iPad 2!!!! Holiday to Austria (given to family member) :j also £100 & 2 wine cases
    Thank you so much, all posters :beer:
  • clairesims1978
    clairesims1978 Posts: 4,026 Forumite
    Options
    I vote for things to stay as is too for what its worth. Love the postals thread and like everyone says its personal choice at the end of the day with regards to text competitions. Bit disappointing that noone is replying from MSE to everyones concerns though.
    Thanks to all posters and contributers :beer:
  • ROBDOLPHIN66
    ROBDOLPHIN66 Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bit disappointing that noone is replying from MSE to everyones concerns though.

Maybe MSE are operating from a foreign call centre or they have been taking customer service lessons from eBay or Paypal :D
  • twotimes
    twotimes Posts: 6,551 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 April 2009 at 9:58PM
    Options
    Surely we should be given the choice, rather than having them arbitrarily taken away.

It is also interesting to see that there has not been one single post so far supporting the idea.

I support the idea. I don't like having to go through the threads on this forum and then finding that I can't enter unless I buy something. As I understood this section of the forum was for free and accessible competitions, that anyone who is eligible can enter for no cost. (I wouldn't mind there being a separate section though)

I also think it's unfair to say they are being "arbitrarily taken away". The forum rules don't allow non-free competitions anyway, and I'm assuming this is just a reminder as a lot have been appearing recently.

Rules here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=24817

I don't think this thread is referring to the postal/text section where there are other rules regarding the costs. I would also guess that competitions where codes aren't unique would be fine as not everyone has to buy to enter. Will await clarification...
  • purplebutterfly
    Options
    twotimes wrote: »
    I support the idea. I don't like having to go through the threads on this forum and then finding that I can't enter unless I buy something.

I would also guess that competitions where codes aren't unique would be fine as not everyone has to buy to enter. Will await clarification...

So you are happy to enter competitions where somebody else has had to buy something in order to obtain a code we can all then use for free? :confused:

And can I just take this opportunity to thank once again all the wonderful people who buy magazines and puzzle books and then provide us with answers, week after week.

Not only do you give us your time but I think that we all appreciate just how costly it is to buy magazines every week - especially at a time like this when we all need to tighten our belts a little.

I'm not going to name names because I'd miss someone out and then feel terrible :o - but you all know who you are. So THANKS! :beer:
    Living with Lupus is like juggling with butterflies
  • twotimes
    twotimes Posts: 6,551 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So you are happy to enter competitions where somebody else has had to buy something in order to obtain a code we can all then use for free? :confused:

I didn't give an opininion on whether I was happy about that or whether I enter them. I just said that I would guess that those ones wouldn't be against forum rules as they do not require everyone to spend money. Like I said it's a guess...only MSE can tell us.
  • wingobins
    wingobins Posts: 20,649 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Like Al Mac said I think maybe we might be jumping to the wrong conclusions here. Andrea merely pointed out about the comps thread being free to enter & I think she was referring to threads such as ...'the visa comp when you make a purchase'...this was posted in main comps thread, which I must point out also that it was good of OP to post this comp too but I understand what Andrea means by free to enter. Personally though, I too love the postals thread & have had many wins from this!
    Big thanks to all who contribute to the forums. Be lucky everyone and be safe!
  • josie301
    josie301 Posts: 4,654 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    twotimes wrote: »
    I support the idea. I don't like having to go through the threads on this forum and then finding that I can't enter unless I buy something. As I understood this section of the forum was for free and accessible competitions, that anyone who is eligible can enter for no cost. (I wouldn't mind there being a separate section though) ----snip---

There is usually something in the thread title to alert to any small outlay such as
    E: xx/xx Win X - *purchase necessary*

This shouldn't really be such a grey area - as it states in point 2 of the rules a cost of up to £1.50 - and that is about text costs where you are not even getting the benefit of your purchase - ie your 3 magnums (£1 on offer), cadbury choccie bar (60p) etc.

But hopefully there will be further clarification soon.
    Jo x
    2007:£5181.09 2008: £6619.70 2009: £4284.49 2010: £5213.14 2011: £4980.62 2012: £3188.52 :)

• ThinkingOfLinking
    Options
    Josie, for some reason I'd never actually read those forum rules. I actually agree with them, but I also agree with the users who say that you get the product anyway, so the competition entry is a bonus.

I didn't say this before, as I guess it sounds a bit unsympathetic but the people who spend silly money on, say, £1000 of Magnums for the sake of entering the competition, probably have some underlying problem and so they'd find some other obsessive outlet for their spending/behaviour if the Magnum competition wasn't on. That's not to blame or belittle anymore; more to say that these people need help. Then again, others may say that posting these competitions on here doesn't help. At the end of the day, whatever's decided is fine; we can still share these competitions on Facebook if they're not allowed here any more.

I don't think the postals thread was ever in jeopardy anyway, so don't worry about that one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure