Can (should?) I have the water turned OFF?

Options
Hellooo :)

I live in a big house, (rented from my dad) - I live in the upper flat of the house, and rent the lower flat from him as storage for my work. (two water rates, two council taxes)

We already pay the usual water rates for the upper flat we live in.

but the lower flat, we NEVER use the water at all, but are still having to pay the usual water rates.

Am I allowed to ask to have the lower flat water turned off?

Surely, as it is not being used AT ALL paying usual water rates is not fair?

ALSO - I have enquired in the past about a water meter (for upper and lower flat) But we were told that we have the kind of pipes or drainage (or something?) that cannot HAVE a water meter.

Any suggestions or ideas I would be really grateful, it seems mad to be paying for water on the lower flat when not a drop is used.

:beer:

Comments

• poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    If the lower flat is used as a workplace, isn't it a legal requirement to provide toilet and washing facilities? And for that, you require water.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • ClassicClairey
    Options
    No its not used for work, its used only for storage - for my work. :)
  • Bettie
    Bettie Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you are unable to have meters I thought they had to lower the cost of the water rates to roughly what you would have paid if you had a meter?
    They have done this for the people in the high rise flats nearby that can't have water meters and it's made a massive difference to their bills.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Yes you can have water cut off and pay no charges at all. People do it for unoccupied houses.

It would be unusual to have two separate water supplies to what was originally a single house; when converted they might have a shared main water supply. That is possibly why meters couldn't be fitted.

So obviously ensure that the water company cutting the water off downstairs doesn't affect you upstairs.
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    No its not used for work, its used only for storage - for my work. :)

Unfortunately, I think you will find that even if the place is only used for storage, it will be still classed as a workplace. You have to enter it to collect items, therefore you work in there. And by law it will require a toilet and washing facilities. And so, a water supply.

Do you pay business rates on it? If you don't, you should be.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 27 January 2015 at 3:21PM
    Options
    Unfortunately, I think you will find that even if the place is only used for storage, it will be still classed as a workplace. You have to enter it to collect items, therefore you work in there. And by law it will require a toilet and washing facilities. And so, a water supply.

Do you pay business rates on it? If you don't, you should be.

So all hay barns on a farm - or any other barn - must have a toilet and washing facilities?

What about the garages attached to our houses that we use for storage??

There are plenty of properties where there is a shop/office etc on the ground floor and living accommodation upstairs; the workers downstairs can use the facilities upstairs.

In almost all cases where the property is a domestic dwelling and a part is used for work, business rates do not apply.
    To decide whether or not part of your property should be liable
    to business rates there are a number of things we have to
    consider, including the extent and frequency of the nondomestic
    (business) use of the room (or rooms) and any
    modifications made to the property to accommodate that use.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    be careful if you ask for it to be cut off it will be disconnected at the mains, only way to get it back is to apply for a new connection which will mean relaying a new pipe up to today's regulations and paying the connection fee which could be £1k or more depending on where the main is
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    So all hay barns on a farm - or any other barn - must have a toilet and washing facilities?

What about the garages attached to our houses that we use for storage??

There are plenty of properties where there is a shop/office etc on the ground floor and living accommodation upstairs; the workers downstairs can use the facilities upstairs.

In almost all cases where the property is a domestic dwelling and a part is used for work, business rates do not apply.

Farms are classed as units for business purposes, and the unit has to have the appropriate toilet and washing facilities.

If you're using a garage for business purposes, and wish to do as the OP does, then it's open to the water company to check that you have the premises registered as a business.

And as regards shops with living accommodation above, you can only do as you say if they are, again, one unit. If the flat above the shop is let off, then the shop requires its own toilet and washing facilities.

As regards your last comment, the OP seems to infer that there are two separate premises, one of which is used for residential and one for business purposes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure