PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• Hobsons_Choice
    Hobsons_Choice Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Saw a lovely Tula handbag in Age Concern Kidderminster today - but I already have an identical one bought in a Stourbridge Charity Shop about three years ago (and still used every summer). Leather and "straw" type bag, retail about £39 new and on sale for £3.95. I left it for some lucky punter who'll love it as much as I love mine (and loves a bargain)!
    Normal people worry me.
  • Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've been away on holiday so only hit the chazza shops yesterday, but I got a brand new Lorraine Pascal cookbook (cover price £20) for £2 . There are loads of recipes I'll use over the summer so I'm well chuffed.
  • Contains_Mild_Peril
    Options
    bobsa1 wrote: »
    yesterday i got a burberry trenchcoat for £29.99 more than i would usually pay but new they are over £1000
    It's a very good price if in good condition. They usually cost a lot more on eBay, and one of the charity shops near me had one in the window priced at £150 :eek: It wasn't there next time I looked, so I guess someone bought it.
    Today I got a nice T-shirt from the £1 rail in the cancer shop, and a vintage hard suitcase which I plan to use as a tool box, £1.99 from Oxfam.
  • got-it-spend-it
    got-it-spend-it Posts: 5,016 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    karenann76 wrote: »
    You have all convinced me I need to get to these charity shops!!! I have never been to one apart from dropping off donations. I love car booties so charity shops should be an easy enough jump!!!

Any tips for a newbie?

If you like car boots you will love charity shopping! I find that certain brands (round here it seems to be Next and M&S) get marked up more than some premium brands like Boden or Monsoon. I also tend to look not only at my own size (I'm a 14) but also at the 12s and 16s too as if you spot a bargain, it's worth trying it to see if it's any good.

Most of my work wardrobe is from CS now, and is mostly Boden/Monsoon?Wallis etc. I love a good CS find.
    :DYummy mummy, runner, baker and procrastinator :p
  • esmy
    esmy Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How have I missed this thread?!

I have become a charity shopper quite recently and have a good look round locally at least once per week. I love it when I find that someone the same size as me has obviously had a clear out, especially if I'm looking for trousers as I need a long length.

Recent bargains include a pair of womens Regatta trousers which zip off to make shorts, new £3.50, a Top Shop sundress for my daughter, £1.99 and a Kipling Syro bag, complete with monkey for £1.

Happy hunting!
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    CS yesterday - 5 mtrs of dressmaking fabric for £3.50 - a very pretty blue floral print (nicer than it sounds) Will make a top and a pair of pj style trousers from it, the rest will probably be used to back a patchwork quilt at some point.

Bootfair over the weekend - an ice cream tub full of patchwork squares in all sorts of vintage fabrics - the old lady told me every time she had a scrap of fabric she'd sew it on a paper template, when the box was full she'd make something - I will have fun with those.

Same stall I also got 224 laura ashley vintage fabric hexagons - still in their packs.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • bobsa1
    bobsa1 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    Options
    new Laura Ashley linen skirt for £7.49 and a wooden tray for £2.49 must stop visiting them as costing me a fortune
  • dorsetlady
    dorsetlady Posts: 295 Forumite
    Options
    Haven't found much lately but got a nice fuchsia pink Monsoon top in Marie Curie, in Westbourne, for £3 this morning.
  • mandragora_2
    mandragora_2 Posts: 2,611 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My name is Mandragora, and I am an addict. I know this now because we've just been on a camping holiday on the French mediterranean coast, and one of the highlights for me was a 'vide grenier' in the local town. Yes. I will admit it. I had a scavenge, and am now the proud owner of an Art Deco art glass triangular fruit bowl. It's the sort of thing you see the experts sometimes pick up on the tv shows where they buy stuff to sell on at a profit. I love art glass, but it was far too big, fragile, impractical and silly to buy on a camping holiday, so I left it. Then Himself said 'Well, at least ask the price', and, expecting the answer to be about £10-30 (and the price limit I'd set myself was around the £7 mark), when the stall holder turned to the old lady sitting next to her and said 'Maman? Combien veut-tu?' and the reply came 'Deux?' I'm afraid that for two euros it just had to be mine, no matter how impractical or inconvenient a purchase it was. The hardest thing of all was that there was soooooo much lovely stuff there that I had to leave behind.
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
  • samanthaknd
    samanthaknd Posts: 702 Forumite
    Options
    My charity shop bargain yesterday was 3 tops one looked brand new and a gold handbag all for £2.50. well chuffed.
    Need to get rid of my Yankee Candle Habit, Not very money saving of me :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure