Happy!

Options
jeanmd
jeanmd Posts: 2,361 Forumite
Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
I'm so glad we went over to a water meter with Yorkshire water. Our direct debits were £48 before the meter, this went down to £28 when the meter was fitted. Just got our first annual bill and we're due a refund and the DD has gone down to £15 a month. :T

I admit to being frugal with our water and I've scanned the forum for advice on cutting down usage and I would like to say a massive Thank you to everyone on MSE who has given advice on saving water. :beer:
£2021 in 2021 no.17 £1,093.20/£2021

Comments

• diceydeb
    diceydeb Posts: 157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    OMG thats cheap how many peeps in your house if you dont mind me asking
  • jeanmd
    Options
    diceydeb wrote: »
    OMG thats cheap how many peeps in your house if you dont mind me asking

There's two of us in a bungalow. My husband is disabled so I do everything. Showers are 3 minutes and I do use the old fashioned full wash in the sink instead of shower often and this is the easiest way with my hubby. I also collect the cold water that comes out of the shower before it's heated into a bucket for the loo, toilet only flushed when I think I need to, no running water unless it's being used and if possible can be reused too, only washing on a full quick wash etc.
    I've been really tight with it and my children have laughed at me, but I'm quite proud of the savings.
  • diceydeb
    diceydeb Posts: 157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 25 October 2014 at 7:11PM
    Options
    I thought I was good got ours down to £29 a month from previously unmetered £55 but there is three of us, no bath but we do like our showers. i been growing my own veg n the toms used a lot of water this year even tho I did save wasting tap water to re use on them. I wonder if it cost me more a week than if I had bought me veg's !
    Did discover a good tip on electric saving tho.. giving your wash an extra spin before tumble drying means cutting the dryer time down by a third at least.. one extra spin uses a fraction of the electric 20 mins of dryer time.
  • jeanmd
    Options
    diceydeb wrote: »
    I thought I was good got ours down to £29 a month from previously unmetered £55 but there is three of us, no bath but we do like our showers. i been growing my own veg n the toms used a lot of water this year even tho I did save wasting tap water to re use on them. I wonder if it cost me more a week than if I had bought me veg's !
    Did discover a good tip on electric saving tho.. giving your wash an extra spin before tumble drying means cutting the dryer time down by a third at least.. one extra spin uses a fraction of the electric 20 mins of dryer time.

Thank you for the washer tip I'll remember to use it now the weather is changing.
    We only have a small patio now so don't really use water in the garden, but I must admit that I'd still water my veg if I had my old home as there's nothing like picking your own when you want it.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    Jean you have done well with your water saving. I am similarly careful and my water bill is low. I have a loo just outside the back door and I save rain water to flush it with. I use that for most of the day, just using the bathroom last thing at night and first thing in the morning.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • jeanmd
    Options
    Thanks Ilona, I did keep thinking about getting a rain butt, but after seeing my bill most of the charges were standing charges etc. so don't think it's worth the effort for me.

My bill dated 1st Oct '13 - 30th Sept '14.

Used 36 cubic metres cost £45.71
    Sewerage - £53.80
    Standing charge - £33.79
    Surface water - £45.48

I can't think of any way to cut the other costs.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    jeanmd wrote: »
    My bill dated 1st Oct '13 - 30th Sept '14.

Used 36 cubic metres cost £45.71
    Sewerage - £53.80
    Standing charge - £33.79
    Surface water - £45.48

I can't think of any way to cut the other costs.

Can't you claim relief for Surface Water Drainage??
  • jeanmd
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Can't you claim relief for Surface Water Drainage??

Sorry, I've just seen this. I don't have runaway rain water, so I wouldn't think so.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport