Running application on website

Comments

• Chomeur
    Chomeur Posts: 2,124
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    AndyPix wrote: »
    I suppose you could knock something together that mimicks the results that the final site would produce,
    and then once you have backing, get a team to code it propperly for you ..

As you state you have already made this in VB i deduce that you can code at least,
    PHP should be quite simple to learn for you and is what i would suggest for the coding of the site
    You will need an SQL backend.

The thing is going to work in a totally different way to a standalone program and you will have to redesign your engine totally from the ground up..

Good luck and do please come back if you have any php/sql questions .. Ill be happy to help

Andy

edit: second thought, why not show the VC your working VB version, tell them that you need backing to convert this to a web service .. It may help if you get a letter of intent from a couple of companies who say they might use it if it was good ..

Thanks AndyPix. The service doesn't rely heavily on saving user's data, it's mostly a visual thing. For that reason I'm thinking that it should mostly be written in html and javascript (which I do know) with php to save files. I'm not sure that it needs a database at all.

I think that something that vcs can see running in their browsers would be useful as it would save me the need to do the leg work in showing them the VB version (and them from downloading anything). So I'm trying to upload some html and javascript, but even that doesn't seem straightforward.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    If you wat the users to log in, then you will need some way to securely save their credentials.
    Hence database

It should be very simple to upload your code,
    write it in notepad++ then upload it to the root of your webspace and call it index.html
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    If you have the full programme working in VB, it could be compiled down to a dll and installed on your IIS as an ISAPI filter. That's all decade plus - old technology though.

The warnings about security need be borne, and fresh development is always more expensive than you think. It's safe to assume 5-figures.
  • Chomeur
    Forumite
    If you wat the users to log in, then you will need some way to securely save their credentials.
    Hence database

It should be very simple to upload your code,
    write it in notepad++ then upload it to the root of your webspace and call it index.html

OK, sure there will be a database for that.

It should be simple to upload my code but it's not. It is written in notepad++ but I've no idea how to upload it to my webspace. I transferred my domain to Wordpress.com because they claimed to offer hosting, but apparently that's not the same as web hosting so it is the wrong place, so I think now I need to transfer it somewhere else. The question is where. I thought Microsoft Azure would be a good choice as the guy I spoke to last night mentioned to me that he used it. I can't see how to transfer my domain there but I have managed to set up an url there. However it won't accept the credentials that I've entered to log in to the ftp page so I'm stuck there too.
  • RobTang
    RobTang Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    Chomeur wrote: »
    Actually someone I spoke to last night offering a related service said he used Microsoft Azure so I guess I'll go with that.

My concept displays financial relationships in a diagrammatic form. As I see it I have a choice between doing it as a downloadable software application or an Internet service. In the former case there is likely to be resistance to downloading my code because of concerns that there may be malicious code in it. In the latter case there may be resistance because of concerns about uploading data to the "cloud". So it's hard to know which approach to prefer. Although Credit Suisse did advise me that they would favour the latter. Of course I could just give up, but I can't get a job, so what the heck.

I would actually say those 2 issues are relatively minor.

The problem is the on boarding cost for any sort of (paid for) software into a large multi-national company is massive, adding up peoples time with internal processes and well a simple app like yours easily runs into £50,000-£100,000. All this has to be budgeted and that's where the real resistance is.

I would strongly advice you to either find a technical partner or find a software engineer who is willing to sit down with you for a day (pay them if needed) and you can go through what you need to do to actually realise the project.

At the very least sit down for a month and learn how server based software is built, run and maintained before you try anything else.

Oh an always budget for lawyers.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    WordPress is a blog/CMS engine sitting on top of a stack (usually LAMP - Linux, Apache, MySql, PHP). You could use EC2 to host a TurnkeyLinux LAMP Stack image and be running in an hour, with the advantage that you can turn the EC2 instance off to save money between demos, but in that case you could install the stack in a VM on your own computer. That would be faster, too. You could also look at Bitnami and Docker for other prebuilt LAMP stacks you could install locally, but I'd go with TurnkeyLinux first myself.
  • AndyPix
    Forumite
    You just want the most basic hosting package from 1&1 or godaddy or such. (providing it offers php and sql)
    Remember, you are only programming proof of concept at the moment

You could be online in a matter of minutes for around 20 squid
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Couldn't you do a proof of concept as an iPad app? Many corporations use iPads for graphical / financial applications.
  • Chomeur
    Forumite
    edited 10 November 2016 at 5:04PM
    You just want the most basic hosting package from 1&1 or godaddy or such. (providing it offers php and sql)
    Remember, you are only programming proof of concept at the moment

You could be online in a matter of minutes for around 20 squid

I quit 1&1 because they seemed so clueless when I phoned them up and always tried to get me to upgrade to a more expensive package which I'm sure I didn't need. Plus I think someone earlier in one of these threads said I should leave them.

godaddy doesn't seem to have very good reviews. Maybe I'll try hostgator. They say they provide unlimited MySQL databases so presumably that satisfies the need for SQL (I've no idea what the difference is between My SQL and MS SQL). They say they have php in all their plans.
  • AndyPix
    Forumite
    Yeah the support is pretty poor. (And they always seem to be in manilla or indonesia etc)
    But you shouldn't need it really.

Just get the cheapeast package, click on file manager, and upload your code to the root.
    It should be as simple as 3 clicks.

I use 1&1 for one website i run, and godaddy for another so thats as far as my experience goes im afraid
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure