PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

save with jamie

Options
MrsE_2
MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
edited 4 September 2013 at 1:02PM in Old style MoneySaving
Jamie Oliver has a newbook out in August.
I'm guessing (hoping) there will be a programme too:j

The book is on Amazon for £12, do you think I should hang on? Will it go cheaper?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0718158148/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

15 minute meals was fab, I'm really looking forward to this new one:T

Comments

• meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Personally I would hang on, the number of his books I have seen on carboots or in CS for between 50p and 1.00 is suprising.

There are also many free ways of avoiding waste , blogs and such that I would not even consider spending 50p on a book by him. Google waste not want Not.
    Slimming World at target
  • vl2588
    vl2588 Posts: 1,352 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They also generally come up for about a fiver with 'the book man' if you work in an office where they have this delight.
    Weight loss: Start weight: 80kg; Current Weight: 77kg; Target weight: 55kg
  • Funky_Bold_Ribena
    Options
    Surely saving £12 by not buying it is less waste?
    Sanctimonious Veggie. GYO-er. Seed Saver. Get in.
  • Teg-Rem
    Teg-Rem Posts: 97 Forumite
    Options
    sorry but it isn't all that really. saw it in my local book shop today.
    Has anyone really got a whole salmon or loads of trout to spare and cook in this day and age?? He has once again gone over the top and lost the plot, and forgotten completely what he was writing about in the first place. I will watch the tv prog starting next Monday, but WON'T be buying the "bookie wookie". Roll on Jacks one, more my style these days, she really does know about cooking on a shoestring.
  • ditsykitchen
    Options
    I think the point of it isn't to appeal to people who want or have to live on the sort of budget agcj goes for. I think it would save people money who waste all their cash on pricey ready meals and take aways, which was his argument really. The pricings for the dishes are on his site and they look ok, pretty good compared to his usual stuff. I'm veggie so not sure about this one :o, but what is the problem with cooking those fish?
    October Grocery Challenge: £20.65/£150
    September Grocery Challenge: I lost track :o/£200
    August Grocery Challenge: £92.11/£100 :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Teg-Rem i agree,Mr Oliver does seem to not live in a world where folk have to streeetch their cash .as Ms monroe does.I to have tried some of her recipes and found them both tasty and economical.
    ditsykitchen I think Mr Oliver is without a doubt a very good chap at what he does, but quite why he seems to imagine that people prefer to spend money on large t.v.s rather than good food I have yet to see the connection.
    There is no problem about using fish as far as I can see if you live where its possible ,as I do ,to find fish thats affordable.I live within 20 minutes of Whitstable harbour and can buy fish on a sunday morning thats almost jumping off the slab its so fresh,I also have an excellant wet-fish shop locally.Many people though don't have that availability.I am lucky that I also have an independant greengrocer locally where you can buy smaller amounts of fresh veg unwrapped by the awful cling film that supermarkets seem to love,but again I do not have a local market full of cheery-faced stall holders willing to sell me ten mange tout for buttons.even my green grocer rarely stocks them.I suppose the nearest thing to that would be Macknade's farm shop (Faversham) 13 miles away which is wonderful but again not cheap when also taking into accout the diesel involved to get there and back again.I do visit now and agin but end up spending stacks of cash as it is a bit like Harrods food hall and crammed with other wonderful things .Thier cheese counter is to die for :):)
    Ms Monroe's blog has taken the media world unawares I think and she has done probably more for making people realise that you can live well for a lot less when you have to.I look forward to he book arriveing in the shops in February which I believe will be priced at just under £12.00 a bargain that I have put on my birthday list for one of my DDs to buy for me :):) even more frugal
    By the way Ms Monroe's recipes are also in the main meatless so the veggies amonst us will hopefully like some of her ideas.
  • starlight29
    Options
    I cant wait till jack monroes book is out :)
  • alfsmum
    alfsmum Posts: 620 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Apparently a copy of the book is being donated to every library if anyone wants to have a look.
  • ditsykitchen
    Options
    JackieO A lot of my family and their neighbours and friends are poor and live on council estates. Almost none of them cook from scratch. Almost all of them amount silly debts from buying massive tvs, expensive furniture and games consoles on weekly payment schemes. I don't know if it's just me, but I've seen it a lot but people just don't want to say anything as it's seen as nosey to intrude on how people spend their money.
    October Grocery Challenge: £20.65/£150
    September Grocery Challenge: I lost track :o/£200
    August Grocery Challenge: £92.11/£100 :)
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think the point of it isn't to appeal to people who want or have to live on the sort of budget agcj goes for. I think it would save people money who waste all their cash on pricey ready meals and take aways, which was his argument really. The pricings for the dishes are on his site and they look ok, pretty good compared to his usual stuff. I'm veggie so not sure about this one :o, but what is the problem with cooking those fish?

I agree. JO and JM are going for completely different markets. I expect the majority of JO cookbooks are bought by the middle-classes. I think this book is really aimed at middle-class people who are having to tighten their belts (perhaps for the first time). I don't think there is anything wrong with him including salmon etc. I have a food budget and try to cook cheaply, but I am not on the breadline and do sometimes buy things like salmon. I am looking forward to reading both books.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure