Budget Wars - A New Hope (with apologies to George Lucas)

Options

Comments

• mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Phew busy day for you Bob! Hope DS is ok.

Yay to the savings on the grocery spends. I am trying so hard with my grocery spends but it just seems to fall down around week 3!!! xx
    Mummytogirls x

• Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    sashybo wrote: »
    :rotfl: at DD sticking her head out of the cat flap. :rotfl:

Glad your DS is ok & you've managed to get a lot done. :T

My husband's first question was ' did you get a picture' :rotfl:
    Phew busy day for you Bob! Hope DS is ok.

Yay to the savings on the grocery spends. I am trying so hard with my grocery spends but it just seems to fall down around week 3!!! xx

Thanks, he still seems very drained, bit concerning. We'll see what the morning brings.

What is it about week 3 do you think?
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Evening Bob hope DS is on the mend. One thing that a local business did when I used them was she asked if I would go on her 'mailing list' with a genuine promise not to bombard me. She emails probably every 2 months with some updates/ effectively advertising something new but in a nice way. Perhaps you could do the same and then e mail every 6 months to jog their memories. Just a thought.

Happy days on saving the CT and switching bonus.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Lol@dd with the cat flap, at least she didn't get wet lol

Glad DS is feeling better, albeit on the tired side, it's floored him poor love, I've bought DD multivitamins to help build her system up. I used to buy them every year for both kids, as DD was very poorly as a baby but they've not needed them for the past couple of years.

I sympathise about the grocery budget, that's my aim once we've moved to sort out.

Hope things are picking up work wise? Xx
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Treadingonplaymobil Posts: 1,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 March 2017 at 5:50AM
    Options
    Hope DS is perkier this morning Bob.

I agree about fancy meals - we tend to have at least 2-3 meals a week now of egg on toast with a portion of peas or spinach, or soup and bread, or beans on toast. Neither DH or I do a really physical job (and could both stand to lose a couple of lb) and we just don't need the calories of a huge dinner every night. I like knowing that the two older DCs have had a half decent lunch at school 5 days a week, and we tend to do these smaller dinners on school evenings (particularly busy ones, with Cubs or swimming).
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

We also found weeks 3-4 difficult in terms of shopping. We tended to do a bigger shop around pay day to stock up. We'd buy a few treats, toiletries and plan nice meals. By the time week 3-4 came around, we'd run out of meal ideas, fed up of shopping so this is when we are more likely to make bad choices. I guess, our approach to shopping was rather 'feast and famine', so by week 3-4 we'd run out of ideas for nice meals, eaten all of the treats etc. I know people rave about meal planning, but I find planning for the month works better than weekly for us.

We now start the month by stocking up on items from Costco. We buy rice, pasta, laundry detergent etc in bulk. It works really well as it means that we always have enough food to knock up a decent meal for when we haven't had time to stock up.

We also plan a couple of nice meals to have throughout the month so we have something nice to look forward to. We also spread out the treats so we aren't buying them all at the beginning of the month.
  • Bobarella
    Options
    Hello All

Sorry not to reply to all the fab chat above, I will, just sitting down quickly before the school run. And actually am out of time!

A last minute reviewing request dropped into my inbox this morning so that threw me right out. I needed to do the shopping as we were totally out of food. So did the view then galloped home did the shopping, rang to sort security on my new account, meal planned for this week, and answered a few messages and now if I leave I will just about be on time!

Back later

Bob

• Bobarella
    Options
    Evening Bob hope DS is on the mend. One thing that a local business did when I used them was she asked if I would go on her 'mailing list' with a genuine promise not to bombard me. She emails probably every 2 months with some updates/ effectively advertising something new but in a nice way. Perhaps you could do the same and then e mail every 6 months to jog their memories. Just a thought.

Happy days on saving the CT and switching bonus.

Thank you PF I am not entirely sure about mailing lists. They have quite a lot of work required to keep clean and functional. I figure at least with fb you can unlike the page yourself if you no longer want to be part of the brand you are interacting with. But always good to have suggestions.
    Lol@dd with the cat flap, at least she didn't get wet lol

Glad DS is feeling better, albeit on the tired side, it's floored him poor love, I've bought DD multivitamins to help build her system up. I used to buy them every year for both kids, as DD was very poorly as a baby but they've not needed them for the past couple of years.

I sympathise about the grocery budget, that's my aim once we've moved to sort out.

Hope things are picking up work wise? Xx

Thanks PM02 I might look into multivitamins.
    Hope DS is perkier this morning Bob.

I agree about fancy meals - we tend to have at least 2-3 meals a week now of egg on toast with a portion of peas or spinach, or soup and bread, or beans on toast. Neither DH or I do a really physical job (and could both stand to lose a couple of lb) and we just don't need the calories of a huge dinner every night. I like knowing that the two older DCs have had a half decent lunch at school 5 days a week, and we tend to do these smaller dinners on school evenings (particularly busy ones, with Cubs or swimming).

Interesting TOP my DS also has a school lunch but seems to be starving every night still. We can but try and cut back :)

• Bobarella
    Options
    chanie wrote: »
    We also found weeks 3-4 difficult in terms of shopping. We tended to do a bigger shop around pay day to stock up. We'd buy a few treats, toiletries and plan nice meals. By the time week 3-4 came around, we'd run out of meal ideas, fed up of shopping so this is when we are more likely to make bad choices. I guess, our approach to shopping was rather 'feast and famine', so by week 3-4 we'd run out of ideas for nice meals, eaten all of the treats etc. I know people rave about meal planning, but I find planning for the month works better than weekly for us.

We now start the month by stocking up on items from Costco. We buy rice, pasta, laundry detergent etc in bulk. It works really well as it means that we always have enough food to knock up a decent meal for when we haven't had time to stock up.

We also plan a couple of nice meals to have throughout the month so we have something nice to look forward to. We also spread out the treats so we aren't buying them all at the beginning of the month.

I think that's such a good point. I know if there are no snacks in the house I get the ' there's no food' moans from certain people:mad:

• Bobarella
    Options
    Morning All

Well its a grey wet cold morning here. Have about an hour till I need to walk over to the accountants and sign off my accounts for last year. And then pay BBB gulp. I pretty much have it, so that's good :)

I spent another hour last night, (in between knocking up a rather nice pork curry) joining as many fb groups as I could find that looked half way relevant. I posted in 5 of them last night. Some administrators are slower than others to approve new posters. I have then this morning gone back to look for any relevant posts, but no luck yet.

I also answered an ad on a local forum last night, that might lead to a small bit of work at the end of April.

Things are looking decidedly slow for the month ahead still. Haven't heard back from the ratings people since I sent my updated information in on Monday either.

Our gas and electric bill went out today,which is the last bill of the month. And as a small positive, that will be a lot lower next month as we have now turned the heating off. Not such a comforting thought on a day like this, but good in the long term.

Right well, plenty of food for the rest of the week, bills paid for us at least, and just got to keep plodding along and pushing along on the business side.

Have a good Wednesday all.

Bob

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport