PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How much to tip the removal men

Options

Comments

• glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Levs01 wrote: »
    At what removals charge I'm sorry, but other than a bacon butty and a cuppa they are getting nothing more from me.

£1000 for what, average 6 hours work. £166 per hour (minus costs), actually they may not even get the bacon :rotfl:

I count a MINIMUM of 25 man hours here. What are you basing 6 hours on?
  • NicNicP
    NicNicP Posts: 249 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 8 October 2016 at 8:09AM
    Options
    I'm with glasgowdan. This is their job for which they will receive a wage. I wish I got tipped daily my job!
  • Levs01
    Levs01 Posts: 224 Forumite
    Options
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    I count a MINIMUM of 25 man hours here. What are you basing 6 hours on?

It was a light hearted joke. My FIL used to run a removals firm so I know all to well the work involved!
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Aah, gotcha!
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think i'd probably give them out £20 between them. You've supplied a nice lunch already.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh Lordy, I think I over done it

We tipped £50 each end, 3 guys

Still they done a fantastic job and even arrived on time when the country was under a few feet of snow

Oh,man they picked the milk and newspapers up on the way out to us as we were snowed in :)
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    This subject comes up quite a lot :)

I usually tip them around a tenner each, or £50 between them. They have usually gone above and beyond the call of duty. Last time, they managed to get my sofa apart to fit in my house (it's not one that's made to be dismantled) - it was either give it a try, or leave it out on the street. Luckily, they sorted it. They also stopped en route to pick up a fridge freezer I'd bought as a temporary option until my new kitchen was in. The time before, they hung around for ages as we got late notice of completion.

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • phoebe1989seb
    Options
    When we moved last (2014) we had four removal guys who moved us over five days (150 miles) at a cost of approximately £3500. This didn't include the packing service, although they did end up packing a few boxes as we all pitched in! They also dismantled beds and rebuilt them at our new house as well as succeeding in getting one of our sofas up to the first floor via the balcony.

We provided drinks as and when, donuts and bacon/egg rolls etc. On top of this we tipped them £20 each.
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had thought maybe of downsizing, and getting a flat. But if the removal could cost thousands, i'll stay where i am.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Levs01
    Levs01 Posts: 224 Forumite
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    I had thought maybe of downsizing, and getting a flat. But if the removal could cost thousands, i'll stay where i am.

You can do it cheaper yourself if you have willing friends and family. I'm moving from an uncluttered 3 bed house, 5 miles down the road, not taking any white goods, packing ourselves, dismantling our own beds and rebuilding etc and it was still, cheapest quote, £836. We can hire a van for (max)£200 and do it ourselves. It's hard work but I can think of 636 reasons to do it ourselves. Not everyone's cup of tea but the 4 times I've moved I've done it myself and the other half worked on his dads firm when he did removals so refuses to pay someone else to do it anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure