Soon to be moving in :s unsure on utility bills!

Options
Hello all,

I am a complete newbie here so I apologise for my ignorance.

My wife and I will soon be moving in to our new home and I wanted you're thought/advice on utilities.

We have been living with parents to scrape and save as much as possible and now we have our own place...problem is that we are not sure what type of energy tariffs we would need? I am aware that the prices are soon to rise and I think I would freeze the tariffs for peace of mind but in all honesty I am a bit in the grey with the amount of usage.

Would it be best if I went for the minimum tariff's as we are uncertain of the amount of energy we would use?

My energy suppliers are SSE, British Gas, Thames Water.

Would be grateful if you can assist with some advice for a complete novice like me.

Thanks

Subs

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 14 March 2017 at 9:06AM
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

Your water is tied to the Regional Supplier - Thames Water.

Initially you are tied to SSE and BG on a legally binding 'Deemed tariff'. However you can set up a switch to your favoured supplier straight away - it can take a few weeks.

You have to guess at your consumption. Try the UK average of 13,200 kWh gas and 3,200kWh electric first, and then juggle with the figures. Don't assume getting both gas and electricity from the same company is cheapest.

P.S.
    Read your 3 meters the moment the property is yours(take a photo) and inform supplier immediately.
  • SNewbieV
    Options
    Thank you for the warm welcome and for the sound advice Cardew :)
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    SNewbieV wrote: »
    Hello all,

I am a complete newbie here so I apologise for my ignorance.

My wife and I will soon be moving in to our new home and I wanted you're thought/advice on utilities.

We have been living with parents to scrape and save as much as possible and now we have our own place...problem is that we are not sure what type of energy tariffs we would need? I am aware that the prices are soon to rise and I think I would freeze the tariffs for peace of mind but in all honesty I am a bit in the grey with the amount of usage.

Would it be best if I went for the minimum tariff's as we are uncertain of the amount of energy we would use?

Would be grateful if you can assist with some advice for a complete novice like me.

Thanks

Subs

Consult a comparison site to find the best deal for you

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity?

If you don't know the actual usage (which will give most accurate results) the comparison site will assist you
  • CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all,

Subs

Just wanted to clarify.......

You have not moved in yet...but you have already created accounts with the existing suppliers for that property? Correct?

Following on from Cardew's point, it important to create energy accounts with these suppliers first...before you initiate any switch.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    After you have moved in and got your suppliers set up get into the habit of reading your meters at least monthly and use an online account to notify the suppliers. It's 5 minutes a month well spent.

Read and understand your bills.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 14 March 2017 at 10:00AM
    Options
    Hi,

don't panic, for the sake 1/2 months, even on standard tariff, will only be £2/3 a month more.

You've enough to do just getting settled in.

As already said take readings when you move in and contact current suppliers.

Take electric and gas readings once a week, this will give you an idea of usage, electricity should be pretty level week to week, gas will be dropping off now, as weather getting milder.

When settled in and able to think straight, you can then initiate your switches.
  • SNewbieV
    Options
    Hi Cashstrapped,

Thanks for the message... we have not yet created any accounts with our suppliers, would you recommend us to do so?

Thanks
  • SNewbieV
    Options
    Thank you for providing you're feedback, this is such a great website and forum.

Thank you all
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 14 March 2017 at 12:47PM
    Options
    Agree with what others have said, but just wanted to clarify this bit:
    Hello all,

...I am aware that the prices are soon to rise and I think I would freeze the tariffs for peace of mind but in all honesty I am a bit in the grey with the amount of usage.

Would it be best if I went for the minimum tariff's as we are uncertain of the amount of energy we would use?...

You may already know this but just to be clear. Knowing the amount you are likely to use helps judge how big the bill is likely to be, and what level to set direct debits at to avoid a big debit/credit building up, but it doesn't matter if you use more or less than your estimate.

When the tariff is fixed that just means that the unit price and standing charge won't change in the contract period, not the overall annual bill. It's possible the 'cheapest' tariff could change depending on actual usage but in practice, not by much.

Just pick the cheapest tariff from a company you like the look of.
    Hi Cashstrapped,

Thanks for the message... we have not yet created any accounts with our suppliers, would you recommend us to do so?

Thanks

It's not just recommended, you MUST do this. You are automatically on a deemed contract with the existing supplier(s) when you move into a property. You have to set up an account with them in your own name before you can switch and so they can bill you for energy used between moving in and switching (if you chose to)
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Raxiel wrote: »
    It's not just recommended, you MUST do this. You are automatically on a deemed contract with the existing supplier(s) when you move into a property. You have to set up an account with them in your own name before you can switch and so they can bill you for energy used between moving in and switching (if you chose to)
    Which is simply a case of phoning up the existing supplier and telling them you have just moved in and give them the date you took over the house, and the meter readings from the same day. Once that's done, people can look at switching right away, can't they?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure