Gravel for Driveway

Options
Hello all

We have a small (potential) drive (about 24 sq/m) that is partially paved at the moment. The remainder had big bushes that we have now taken out and so only soil is left now. We were thinking of carrying on the block paving but I think it will be hard to match it up plus expensive. We've decided to use gravel for the area we have dug out (about 14 sq/m). What's the best way to go about doing this and what material would I need? I've seen articles online talking about installing grids first but then i've seen articles saying just get MOT Type 1 sub base and then gravel on top. Not sure which is better. I also don't want to be spending such a ridiculous amount on such a small area.

Comments

• MonsieurFrugal
    Options
    You'll need a sub base or the gravel will just over time disappear into the soil.
    pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id=39350&sid=35952
  • omariqy
    omariqy Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So sub base and then gravel? That's it?
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I help the kids with a magazine round once a month so am used to traipsing up and down peoples driveways, (think we do about 600 in total). Gravel driveways are, (in my opinion), bl**dy awful things. They look bad, they sound bad and in every instance there is gravel far beyond where it is laid, IE all over the pavement. If you're really sure you want one then please go and look at a few and walk around on them if you can.

There are a couple that use slate waste instead, (see the link in the post above this post), and not only does it look better but it tends to stay put and only makes a fraction of the noise that a gravel driveway does.

All my opinion OP, but please research slate as well.
    Pants
  • omariqy
    Options
    I need to buy the material and it needs to be permeable. The labour cost will be the same. I figured gravel would be cheaper?
  • katihannah
    katihannah Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I used grids to lay mine, it stays put and is firm underfoot, so far so good!
  • omariqy
    Options
    katihannah wrote: »
    I used grids to lay mine, it stays put and is firm underfoot, so far so good!

Thanks. Which brand did you use if you mind me asking?
  • Chrishazle
    Chrishazle Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When we had our driveway done at the old house, they first dug out the clay, then put in a load of hardcore and whacker plated it, then a weed stop permeable membrane, then MOT type 1 pink stuff whacker plated, then a thin skin of peabeach to top it out. Never had any problems with weeds etc growing through (previously it was peabeach straight onto the clay, never could stop the weeds!) for the 10 years before we sold the house.
  • Katies_Mum_2
    Options
    We used gravel on our drive precisely because it is noisy when walked on. Deters burglars and other unwelcome visitors.
  • Katies_Mum_2
    Options
    However... posted too soon. We would use grids if we had our time again. We had type 1 laid with gravel on top. Weeds don't grow through the type 1, but over time soil settles into the gravel and weeds grow into this. They are easy to remove, though. The grids would stop the gravel being moved by the cars wheels.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure