What to eat on a flight?

Options
I will be flying to Jordan with my class in a couple of weeks, flying Easyjet so have no wish to pay for the awful food which they will probably be supplying.

I am on a diet, but realise that it will have to be adjusted for this trip, so was wondering what I could take with me to eat on the flight. Unfortunately, we have our last class before Easter the night before and will need to be in Gatwick for about 7am the next morning, so I will potentially having to go without eating "properly" for over 24 hours. Eating before the flight is not something that appeals to me as it will be far too early and unless I get absolutely desperate for a caffeine hit on the flight, it will be water only.

I have some containers which I am quite happy to bin afterwards but have no idea what to fill them with!
A smile costs little but creates much :)

Comments

• nuttyp
    nuttyp Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    Options
    Before we flew we popped into boots and got the meal deal with the shapers sandwich etc in. I got it after i had been through security. It is also cheaper than buying on the plane. When we were in the airport, we saw a group of teenagers all been told by their tutor to buy before they went as it was far cheaper. They also got chocolate etc too......
    :D:D BSC member 137 :D:D

BR 26/10/07 Discharged 09/05/08 !!!

Onwards and upwards - no looking back....
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Another meal deal vote. That's what I always do, and you can take the drinks on board because you've bought them after security. Don't limit yourself to one - buy enough to keep you fed all the way trough the filgt. Boots also does fruit with their meal deals, so you can get a really good mix of sweet, savory, snacks and drinks. Don't forget your Advantage card to rack up the points.
    Better is good enough.
  • Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    Options
    What time is your flight departing - it's often a couple of hours AFTER you need to 'check in'?

Are there any restrictions on what you're allowed to take on a flight to Jordan with you?

I think I'd be inclined to at least carry some of those 'breakfast replacement cereal biscuits' in your handbag - something like Belvia would be 'nutritious' IF you like them. We take those with us on long, early morning coach trips as OH won't eat anything at all before setting out.

Would you perhaps feel like eating something like a 'home-made version' of a 'fruit corner' before departure time?

What about a mixed salad in a container with some chopped chicken in a bag inside it - you'd probably need one of those foldable chill bags to put it in - but that could then be collapsed down to go in your hand luggage.

How about a container of couscous?

Good luck - I travelled to the States and back last summer during a very strict diet regime - finished up at McD's in the Airport having a Grilled Chicken Salad without the dressing ;). Then selected the lowest calorie option on the flight - but it was a scheduled flight with all catering/drinks provided in the price.
  • Gettingtherequickly
    Options
    Thanks for those suggestions, usually make my own food, so didn't even think of meal deal. Couscous is a great idea as it is quick & easily made up when I get home from class.

Lilyplonk, well done on being so strongwilled, I am currently 3stone down, but am going with the attitude that as long as I maintain for holiday, it has been a good one!
  • Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    Options
    Well done, Gettingtherequickly :T - 3st down is fabulous going and certainly not something that you want to spoil at this stage of things ...............

My weightloss has now slowed down - but I've still got about another 3st to go. Believe me, mine was a 'serious problem' that has been a long-haul ..................... but I'm doing it through our local NHS Dietitian Service and Council-run Gym. They refuse to term it 'a diet' - they use the term 'life-style change', which is exactly what it is :).
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lilyplonk wrote: »
    What time is your flight departing - it's often a couple of hours AFTER you need to 'check in'?

I've been to Gatwick for early flights and often there's very little open. I don't know how you can check but I wouldn't rely on a meal deal without being sure Boots is open/will have them.

I always buy water in Boots (using points if poss;)) as anything on the plane is a huge rip-off.

I'd take pasta salad, fruit and crisps!:D

P.S. when you say a class, are you with a group of children or is it all adults? Children will need food advice too.
  • bargainbetty
    Options
    Make sure you eat everything you take, or discard it on the plane. If you can't do that, make sure you aren't restricted by their Customs Dept as to what fruits, veggies, home prepared foods etc you are permitted to take into the country.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!

May grocery challenge £45.61/£120
  • Gettingtherequickly
    Options
    maman wrote: »

P.S. when you say a class, are you with a group of children or is it all adults? Children will need food advice too.

All adults :D It's hilarious, we are all working, but it is like being a student again doing things on the cheap! Oh, happy days of being a student.:j
  • Gettingtherequickly
    Options
    Make sure you eat everything you take, or discard it on the plane. If you can't do that, make sure you aren't restricted by their Customs Dept as to what fruits, veggies, home prepared foods etc you are permitted to take into the country.

Forgot about that, although I travel to Egypt regularly, it is generally a later flight, so I don't need to worry about taking food, actually, not been there since I started my diet, so may have to rethink that later in the year:D
  • HeadAboveWater
    Options
    Just a wee pointer:

Much as nuts are handy to have, you may not be allowed them, or anything containing them!

Last time I was on a flight there was an announcement over the tannoy that someone on the aircraft had an allergy and nobody was allowed to open/eat anything containing nuts.

Just keep that in mind!!
    Wealth is what you're left with when all your money runs out
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family