I Left You and Now I'm In A Mess

Options

Comments

• Naomim
    Naomim Posts: 3,117 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MrsTinks wrote: »
    If £44 monthly is the new reduced fee then I would keep an eye on your usage and leave the credit in place to be honest. Do check if that is an estimate and therefor if you are even more in credit (unless that's what you did :) )

It was an estimate, we can't get to the meters! I was thinking of leaving it as in the words of the Wardens of the North, "Winter is Coming" and the credit will get used up.
    Credit Cards NOV 2019 £33,220.42 Sept 2023 £19,951.00 Tilly Tidy 20223/COLOR] Sept £43.71 Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Naomim wrote: »
    It was an estimate, we can't get to the meters! I was thinking of leaving it as in the words of the Wardens of the North, "Winter is Coming" and the credit will get used up.

We need a wolf emoticon LOL

Well it could be much more credit than you think but for now at least you know there is credit there which is always comforting! :)

Oh and the multiquote is the little double speech bubble without text below the replies :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • MrsTinks
    Options
    I just called the council.. I could be eligible for a discount as the house is uninhabitable. They've asked me to email which I have. They said I may only get 1 month off but even that would be £167 in my pocket!

Every little helps! If you can provide proof of how long the house has been uninhabitable then present it - the worst they can say is no! :)

Even £167 is £167 in your pocket :T
    DFW Nerd #025

• Naomim
    Naomim Posts: 3,117 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure if I can prove the start date apart from a note in my diary, I have taken photo's of rooms with no walls at various times so can provide them.

I just got in touch with the water company too.
    Credit Cards NOV 2019 £33,220.42 Sept 2023 £19,951.00 Tilly Tidy 20223/COLOR] Sept £43.71 Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
  • MrsTinks
    Options
    I'm not sure if I can prove the start date apart from a note in my diary, I have taken photo's of rooms with no walls at various times so can provide them.

I just got in touch with the water company too.

Any evidence of when works began from the builders? Any Purchase Orders or job details etc stating when work should start? I don't know if they would accept it but if you don't try...
    DFW Nerd #025

• enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    I would suggest you keep a spending diary as if this is all been built up through just living you have a problem living according to your means.

Also £150 spending money each is quite a lot with that level of debt.

You can get yourself out of this situation but it will take a lot of financial discipline and I would start by getting a clean bank account (no overdraft) and cutting the credit cards up except for one. That way you can see you are living within your means and the debt is not rising. Also start an emergency fund to pay for things like house and car repairs so you are not tempted to go to a credit card.

I am a bit !!! at your husband having to pay the referee from his own money when he is coaching kids teams. Can't this be covered from memberships?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • JustAboutThere
    Options
    I am a bit !!! at your husband having to pay the referee from his own money when he is coaching kids teams. Can't this be covered from memberships?

Sounds as if what's paid to the referee is deducted from the son's team membership.

Apologies if I read that explanation wrong.
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In regards to the sky have a look at now tv, you can use it via a games console pc etc as an app or get one of their boxes for not alot. There is no contract so you can cancel on a bad month and restart whenever you want.

The normal prices are £6.99 for the entertainment-includes the sky boxsets and on demand stuff, plus live feeds of the best sky channels like sky 1 and atlantic, the movies is £9.99 and the kids £2.99. But you can mix and match month to month, plus we have never paid full price for either there are so many offers online or with the boxes.

We got 2 boxes on offer last year for £20 each with a 6 month entertainment pack in each so a year of sky for £40. We have been paying £3.99 a month for the movies but recently cancelled and am looking for another offer to restart at crimbo. Have a look over on hot deals for loads of offers as they come up.

Good Luck

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    I don't know the interest rates on the overdraft. Coincidentally, the bank called me yesterday. I missed the call and it's one of the things that has prompted me to peek out of my hidey hole and tackle this. I'm scared of getting in touch with the bank though.. i'm not good with authority - as in I get intimidated. Can the bank help and what sort of thing are they likely to say or offer?

Overdrafts are expensive. They may try and sell you a packaged account with lower overdraft rates as many seem to be plugging these. Generally I think they are poor value but if the £45 you quote on the overdraft is interest then you are being charged 18% on £3k. Are you close to the limit?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Sounds as if what's paid to the referee is deducted from the son's team membership.

Apologies if I read that explanation wrong.

I think you are right actually reading that again. My apologies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure