PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start

Options

Comments

• scottishminnie
    Options
    Rosetta92 wrote: »
    Thanks whoever posted about Lidl seeds - think I'll be going shopping tomorrow:)

I think I might see where there is one near me - I can never remember if the one in Kilsyth is Lidl or Aldi. It's the one which sells the very tasty lasagne (I keep a frozen ready one for emergencies - hangs head in shame). I was quite shocked at how much the seeds cost first time I bought them so buying some each week from now is a good idea.

Rosetta - I don't have a chimney either and looked into a multi fuel stove. It can be done, my challenge was the outside wall it needed to go on wasn't the most suitable of places so we've kind of hit a wall on that one. A builder friend also said that if I had a suitable outside wall it was easy to build an external chimey and then knock through. I guess it would be in the style of an ingle nook fireplace - that still does appeal to me.
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
  • flowertotmum
    Options
    Evening all...o its so nice to see new and old faces here...

Old tractor..you don't have to spend a lot on keeping chooks..we were all set to spend alot of money on a hen house..when it was suggested we use our old garden shed..a bit of tinkering and cat proofing and bingo..a huge chicken house..

Kittie..had to laugh at the specs..last year i must have got grit and dust in my eyes hundreds of times...plus like you say cycling to and from the lotties you have to dodge the gnats..bloody swallowed a dozen or more..hubby almost fell off his bike laughing at me gagging and trying to spit out the darn things..its so sad to be in the shops and see and hear how many folks ask if there are any jobs going..my hubby is asked on a daily basis for forms..
    My lovely BIL popped in today to see how i am and brought me some flowers..i welled up but didn't cry..he also gave me a huge box of goodies..choclates,dates,figs,dried fruit and nuts..christmas puddings and cheese biscuits..he won a hamper at christmas and he and his GF don't eat that sort of food so he wanted me to have it...it was like christmas all over again..me and iris had a great time..
    I totally agree with seed buying weekly..yes i have ordered from a company but only the ones i can't get from wilkinsons..chicken egg money paid for them lol...
    got to go iris is up and walking..
    ftm
    Be who you are, not what the world expects you to be..:smileyhea

:jDebt free and loving it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Rosetta92 wrote: »
    Can you share any ideas from your eco house for those of us in less eco friendly houses? I am in a newish build - about 9 years old. Only heating is gas CH at the moment.

I don`t know where to start, except by saying it isn`t a grand designs type of house and was almost finished when we `found` it. We have always wanted an eco house and found one several years ago, it fell through due to our buyer being problematic. It was 280k then, on that development but not that particular house
    http://www.vebra.com/vebra/property/15616650

I am glad it fell through though as it is much warmer down south and the house we have now is a better design and location etc

Last house we had was built in 2004 (normal town house) and was great for insulation in many respects and insulation is key to money saving. More than any other so called eco labels. Loads on insulation ideas on the winter thread by the way

This house is truly eco eg even have wool in the ceilings and thermal store walls and floor ie it absorbs the heat so the temperature stays pretty even winter through summer. We have triple glazing and lots of window on the s side so get solar gain in autumn/winter and the verandah gives us solar shade in spring/summer. We use rainwater for toilets and washing machine and the sun heats the water and generates electricity. Walls are lime plastered and any paints are none chemical. Our electricity costs about £380 a year and wood pellets about £390 (in a bad winter).

No gas and we are electricity -dependent, even the singing dancing stove so I have provided back-up as part of my winter planning (winter thread). Gas is cheaper than wood pellets by the way and is very useful in a hob as back-up. If I had a choice then I would have gas esp as we are now in our 60s and will always have to shift a lot of pellets. We are in a small villiage and there is no gas
  • linzmac_2
    Options
    I think I might see where there is one near me - I can never remember if the one in Kilsyth is Lidl or Aldi.

You've probably already found out by now but I think it's Lidl!
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    My understanding is that for a woodburnig or multi fuel stove you don't need a chimney - just somewhere for the flue to exit. My parents' goes up through the ground floor ceiling, into the room above then out through the roof (new build barn conversion). You can just take the flue out through any external wall but the benefit of keeping it inside is that the warm gases in the flue heat the room it goes thru too. The important thing is to get a HETAS reg person to take a look - not just abuilder - they will tell you all the regs etc.
    #
    HTH someone. We have an ope fire which I owuldn't be without - I knwo the stoves are much more efficient but it love the flames and have and good poke!
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I apologise for coming on here and moaning but I'm feeling decidedly fed up this afternoon - it's been a lovely day, just right for getting a batch of washing out on the line, but I haven't dared switch the WM on as I've been expecting a plumber since 10 this morning and thought he might need to switch the water off. I've now spoken to him and he's not coming until tomorrow - and of course now it's dark and hailing / raining, so no good for putting washing out. Grrr. :mad:

On a different subject, I would dearly love to have a wood burning stove, or even a gas one, in my living room: I've got one of those coal-effect gas fires but it's been disconnected as the flue isn't usable. :( One of the down-sides of renting is that there's nothing I can do about it - I've asked my landlord nicely if the flue can be fixed but, not surprisingly, the answer was that it's too expensive. :(

Hey ho, at least I've got my favourite macaroni cheese for dinner tonight. :drool:
  • scottishminnie
    scottishminnie Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 January 2012 at 6:38PM
    Options
    I had a blow out this afternoon - went to an M&S food shop and bought the dine in for 2. It was good value at £10 but I'm now feeling very bad about the fact that it's all pre prepared. I feel like a real lazy so and so. I also bought myself a pair of opaque tights to replace the ones I've worn to death. About 3 months ago I noticed they were all "bobbly" at the ankles, possibly since I wore long boots one day so I turned them inside out and they were perfect. I've now darned the toes twice though and there is a little hole just underneath if you know what I mean so I think it's time to let them go. I definitely had my money out of them though :)

Picked up some buttermilk today as I plan to make scones tomorrow. I should have remembered that I have 2 cartons of it in the freezer. I feel a lot of scones coming on!

M&S had quite a lot of reduced items today, not sure how much they reduce them but there was quite a scrum so I chickened out and kept moving on past. I did notice how close their best before dates are - I wanted coleslaw but the latest date was Sunday and that was after I dug at the back. They must have lots of wastage.

It's really frosty here at the moment so I think I will be scraping the car tomorrow morning. At least we had no rain today which is a bonus.

CCP - I feel for you. It's my pet hate and I can't understand why some tradesman can't make a quick call to let you know they are running late/not coming at all. Don't know why but I feel like a caged tiger when I'm waiting for someone calling to deliver things/fix things. I seem to pace about and look out to the driveway constantly. I'm probably just downright impatient!
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 January 2012 at 9:29AM
    Options
    I thought I would have what I call a `positive` ie feelgood day yesterday, doing a bit of feng shui-ing so I have completely sorted my filing system. I have one of those case-type ones with concertina compartments and I keep stuff in there like licences, insurance docs, car docs, savings certs and so on. I started this file 2 years ago and it contained just too much irrelevant stuff now, so it is now squeeky and sorted. It is the file I would grab if I had to get out in a hurry and it has a handle. You never know

We also put up a great slot together 6` plastic storage cupboard for outside. It cannot be seen and has 4 good shelves, so plastic is ok and weather proof. I have got all my propagating containers in there now as well as fertilisers and so on, its very good and I am getting another one. I have already managed to clear quite a bit of space in the garage, so naturally dh is supporting me in this new project and I am delighted to be getting all the gardening stuff into one area

I am waiting for signs of pepper sprouting now and will whisk them out of the propagator and into the light as soon as it happens. Next stage of seed sowing coming up in a couple of weeks and will likely be broad beans depending on weather forecast for march (I got a paid weather forecast for the year for my birthday so watch this space for hints and winking smilies)

We are munching through some winter lettuces, they were superb last year but the mild weather has made them too soft and the bits of frost are finishing them off. I am clearing those trays today and that is yet another crop I won`t be bothering with next year as alfala sprouts and coleslaw are good (better) substitutes

Soup made yesterday from my stockcupboard ie barley, carrots from the garden, dehydrated swede, dehydrated parsley. Nice too and half left for today. I always make double soup, so money and time saving. My dehydrator worked non stop this summer and I was apprehensive but all the produce tastes great in soups and one pot meals. Lots of brined stuff made too and bottled passata etc. What can I make with preserved lemons? They look good and are mature now but I don`t know how to use them
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    edited 28 January 2012 at 9:51AM
    Options
    I like preserved lemons with chicken - this is yummy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/stickychickenthighsw_92523

I also had an M&S meal last night- in fact I bought 2 as I had a spend £20 get £5 off voucher so got the chicken and large apple pie for sunday dinner. Becuase of how the discounts work I actually ended up paying £19 for 2 deals plus a few extra bits.
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Memory_Girl
    Memory_Girl Posts: 4,957 Forumite
    Options
    Preserved lemon

- chopped up really small and made into a lemon juice,olive oil, parsley and chopped olive vinaigrette is fabulous over pasta.

- chopped with olives, basil and cherry tomatoes as a stuffing for chicken breasts.

- or in a Greek Feta salad

- blended into home made hummous

- Tagines of course

............ yup I got a big jar of these beauties and will make more this year when lemons come on offer. So easy - but GULP!!! so expensive in posh delis
    FINALLY AND OFFICIALLY DEBT FREE
    Small Emergency Fund £500 / £500
    Pay off all Debts £10,000 / £10,000
    Grown Up Emergency Fund £6000 / £6000 :j
    Pension Provision £6688/£2376
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts