5k to 10k Support Thread

Options

Comments

• indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    You are much tougher than I indecisiv!

No, I have just been running for a while ... Its nearly a year now! :j:j
    8 min miles used to be me flat out this time last year! And I certainly couldn't have run more than 3 at that pace!
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • TiredTrophy
    TiredTrophy Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Did the run in shorts, and the rain stopped....
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    week 1 day 3 should be 30 min steady run - I will use ParkRun tomorrow for this as it is close enough.

week 1 day 3 completed on Saturday. Pace was still a bit off but Strava spontaneously switched its notification to miles instead of km, and whole ones at that, so by the time I realised I had slowed I didn't have enough oomph left to make up the time.

Week 2 day 1 requirement for 20 min steady run (plus 5 min warm up and 5 min cool down) can be met by run club tomorrow night so I am having a rest day today as I suspect that I overdid it last week.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • TiredTrophy
    TiredTrophy Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Today steeled myself for the longer run....lying snow and also some falling, including off the trees and down my neck.
    It was 8km but I feel a bit sick afterwards. Fortunately nothing hurts.
    Next run (short) should be weds.....will see just how much snow there is.....
  • MallyGirl
    Options
    Week 2 day 2 completed. It asked for a 20 min steady run.
    I went to Run Club last night - very cold and drizzly but not too bad. We have devised a 1.3km circuit and did 1 lap as a warm up, then some quick sprints/squats/burpees followed by 3 more laps steady run. I went slower than I would normally have as another lady, who is a bit slower, didn't want to run the darker bits alone. I managed to hold a conversation for once - it was probably good for the legs to be a bit restrained too.

Will do week 2 day 2 on Thursday - 10 min jog, alternate 2 min fast run/2 min jog times 2, finishing with an 8 min steady run.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • indesisiv
    Options
    Today steeled myself for the longer run....lying snow and also some falling, including off the trees and down my neck.
    It was 8km but I feel a bit sick afterwards. Fortunately nothing hurts.
    Next run (short) should be weds.....will see just how much snow there is.....

Good luck in the snow. The right shoes, hat and gloves and you should be ok.
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    Week 2 day 2 completed. It asked for a 20 min steady run.
    I went to Run Club last night - very cold and drizzly but not too bad. We have devised a 1.3km circuit and did 1 lap as a warm up, then some quick sprints/squats/burpees followed by 3 more laps steady run. I went slower than I would normally have as another lady, who is a bit slower, didn't want to run the darker bits alone. I managed to hold a conversation for once - it was probably good for the legs to be a bit restrained too.

Will do week 2 day 2 on Thursday - 10 min jog, alternate 2 min fast run/2 min jog times 2, finishing with an 8 min steady run.

Sprints/squats and burpees and longer runs seem an odd mix to do in one session lol.
    I would normally do warm up, sprints warm down in one session.
    Squats / burpees and technique work as another session.
    General running as other sessions.

Good luck with the next sessions.
  • MallyGirl
    Options
    Week 2 day 2 done - it was a bit nippy when I went out but not for long! I was making the route up as I went along as I wasn't sure how long it needed to be - the sections were time based not distance. I got it slightly wrong and ended up with a bit of a longer warm down walk than the suggested 5 mins but no big deal. I am not sure there is much difference between my 'jog' and my 'steady run' but I covered about 5.5k and was not even out of breath by the time I got home - recovery times are improving much more noticeably than speed at the moment.

Week 2 day 3 is a 35 min steady run so I will use ParkRun for that but I will walk there and try and jog most of the way back. It is not much more than a mile and it is silly to drive except that I have been whizzing back to collect DD and get her somewhere else for 10am. Time for DH to step up and do his bit!
  • indesisiv
    Options
    Good effort @MallyGirl.
    As long as your warm down doesn't leave you getting cold then it should be ok.
    I tend to have a mile or 2 warmdown after a harder session, after a normal run I just ease down for a mile or so and then aim to finish at my door so that I don't get cold.

Pace difference I guess would depend on what it means by jog and steady run.
  • MallyGirl
    Options
    it defines steady run as able to maintain a conversation - it doesn't define jog so I just take that as a bit slower. I don't have a great range between any of my paces. Before I started this I could walk faster than I could jog over any sort of distance!
    The plan has 5 min warm up and 5 min warm down - brisk walk - but it might have been closer to 10 at the end and I was just starting to cool when I reached my door. Next time I will just keep the steady run going till I am closer to home - I didn't realise how long it would take to walk back as I don't often walk along that route.
  • donglemouse
    Options
    You might find attached useful for some guidance on training paces

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/rws-training-pace-calculator/1676.html

If you input a recent race or park run time it will calculate them - you might be surprised how slow most of your runs can be, but if you stick with it you will improve as well as reducing chance of injuries

Don't get hung up on the names too much, one training plans easy is probably the same as another one's jog etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure