* It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year * - It's the 2016 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• freespirit66
    freespirit66 Posts: 3,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Afternoon everyone, thankyou for the migraine sympathies, it is just starting to go, and i have run out of painkillers so DD1 and i are babysitting Thumper later which means i can get some on the way. The kids and Thumper have gone to our village Summer Fayre this afternoon, it keeps hammering it down so i dont know how wet they are!!! Its such a shame because so much hard work goes into it each year by volunteers and it is free for visitors. Thumpers started to say oh dear but he says it as oh deya it is so funny!

VULPIX haha the only thing i have in common with Charlie Dimmock is not wearing a bra round the house :rotfl::rotfl:i hope the hospital appt went well and glad you had a nice day afterwards. I hope you have better luck with the weather playing with your band than our poor village summer fayre has had!

PEPPAPIG isnt it unbelievable how everything grows mad with a bit of warmth and rain???? I havent managed to get out there yet with the rain here. I too have sold a Buddha on facebay this week but it paid for another one i wanted haha still made £4 profit though so not bad

PRINCESSKITTY i got some of those sprinkles last year to go on my Gingerbread and Maple Syrup cake at christmas im sure i didnt pay that much, i got them in one of the supermarkets! I have seen those books for adults they make me feel so old because they were the type of books i learnt to read with :rotfl:

TREASUREQUEEN oh i love 12 days of christmas we all shared that around on this thread the other year, the chocolate lovers christmas is fab as well!!

#103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
  • springdreams
    springdreams Posts: 3,623 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Feisty, Card Factory were selling elves last year.

I wouldn't buy the cheaper knock off ones from China for babies and toddlers, as they have not undergone the same rigorous health and safety testing that the genuine items have ;)
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
  • FeistyFidget
    FeistyFidget Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Evening everyone, i woke up with a migraine today so was in bed all day until half four :mad: and it is still hanging around now, i hope it goes tonight as i want to help DD1 with the garden tomorrow now i feel a bit stronger and weather permitting

PEPPAPIG i still really love your idea of the ice bucket hamper i just havent got anyone to do one for :D

VULPIX aww thankyou my lovely, haha how lovely a tree as well, its big enough! My dream kitchen table and christmas tree haha

PINKSTEPS so glad DS was ok with the injection even knowing the details and side effects, good for him! My pharmacist keeps telling me when my meds react together it bl**dy annoys me that the dr dishes them out but doesnt check what reacts with what, the other week i had quite a bad reaction and didnt know what it was from and then when i picked my meds up he warned me and i realised that it was the morning i took both of the meds together, now i am scared to take the painkillers because he warned me they dont go together too good with the anti anxiety meds :mad::mad:

TREASUREQUEEN i hope your tests are all ok and next week is much quieter, then you can concentrate on your christmas book :D

FEISTY i love Mr Tumble and i think he is great with kids, there is a lot of nastiness about him on the internet and it makes me so mad! If you join MSGIGGLEWICKS Christmas Elf Antics on FB and ask that question about the elves they will tell you of a place in China a lot of them have used to buy exact replicas of the Elf on the Shelf and for much cheaper prices

Poor free, migraines are the worst! I've had a few recently (suffered terribly as a teen, but was down to maybe 1 a year) and trying to care for little My with one is hell!
    I've never seen anything bad about Mr Tumble thank goodness, as that would make me very mad! Jealousy really brings out the ugliest in people!
    Thanks lovely I will join that group.
    vulpix wrote: »
    Hi,Pinksteps,great news that your son was ok having his injection,lets hope he feels better soon.

Treasurequeen,tests can be grim,at least they are out of the way now.

Fiesty,I can't help with elf on a shelf I am afraid.I think it's a lovely idea.It wasn't around when my children were young.I also know nothing of Mr Tumble other than the little boy next door where we used to live used to call Mr V Mr Tumble!I had to google him.

Free or should I say Charlie Dimmock, hope the head clears and you can get in the garden.I just love being out in the garden,even if I don't do much it brightens my day.

I have had another hospital appointment today then went to see Mr V's son who did a little job on my car.We went for lunch which was lovely.I then met Mr V's eldest daughter for a coffee in ikeya.couldn't find anything to buy for Christmas.

I am playing at a festival type thing tomorrow with my samba band.The weather forecast is grim.British summer eh?

Vx

How did the festival go? Were you nervous?
    Feisty, Card Factory were selling elves last year.

I wouldn't buy the cheaper knock off ones from China for babies and toddlers, as they have not undergone the same rigorous health and safety testing that the genuine items have ;)

Card factory ones are beautiful, they are still showing on the website but discontinued. Yes I'm not too keen on importing from China due to the safety aspect. I'll keep looking!
    [/COLOR]
    2024 Challenges
    Live in the moment more and appreciate the small things
  • newthrift
    newthrift Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Vulpix Both ring and kitchen look fab!! How was the festival and the weather?
    Peppa I find my iphone too has a mind of its own with spellings at times haha! The thank you hamper sounds lovely.
    Free Glad the migraine has eased up.

The sun has come out today which is nice :) Hopefully we are heading out for a walk soon. I have quite a few parcels arriving with bargain presents for christmas and couple of birthdays :o:D
    They had some choc on sale in sains* yesterday with reasonable dates on so I picked some bits up there too ready. Choc oranges £1 which I didn't think was bad. Really need to get my brothers sorted before he goes to Canada.
    Have a good day whatever you are doing
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year :santa2:
    Mum to two boys :heartpuls
  • nitnurse-not2
    nitnurse-not2 Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,
    I've been reading but not posting for a few weeks. Sending healing thoughts to all who need them and well done to all who deserve it.

I am trying to redo my DD bedroom. She is 21 and has some specific ideas in her mind. I am googling like crazy to bring these in at a reasonable price. I am not willing to pay £360 for a dressing table!!!!! She has offered to contribute but I think I have steered her down the MSE way. She now has decided on a one for £90. :T:T:T We are looking in B+M and HB for fiddles and faddles to update her colour scheme.
    I am in the middle of my 50th year celebrations so lots of lovely things to look forward to including an "At Home" for some of my friends in early Sept. Spreadsheet begun for menu, drinks, decorations, games and music. I LOVE spreadsheets.:j:j
    I am also trying to plan our trip for our 30th WA in April.Im afraid MSE will not be applying:eek::eek::eek:
    Love and hugs to all
    xxx
    Start by doing what's necessary, then do what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible:j
    Christmas is not a time but a state of mind :xmassmile
    Trying.....Very trying- as my DH would say :whistle:
    Loving de-cluttering :heart:
    04624181 Posts: 565 Forumite
    Options
    Princess Kitty- Thank you for the birthday wishes, I had a fantastic 40th. We are doing great, just been a hectic few months.
    Vulpix- Love Love Love the ring and the kitchen x
    Prinzessilein- a chalet in the mountains is my idea of perfect!
    Peppapig- How are you doing? I know that is a question that you are probably sick of answering. I don’t just mean in a medical sense, I mean how are you? Sounds like a fantastic thank you gift you made. I may do something similair for my brother and sister in laws moving in gift for their new house. They have got everything they could possibly ever need so thanks for the idea xx
    Pinksteps- Glad your son asked for the info sheet, always best to be informed. Glad it went well.
    Treasurequeen- sorry to hear you had some horrid tests, hope the Christmas novel made you feel better. I love a Christmas read, gets me all excited for the coming months.
    Fiesty fidget- Aliexpress.com is the place to get the Elf on the Shelf cheap but they are not subject to health and safety checks. Card factory do lovely cute elves near Christmas. I have got the plush elf on the shelf. I bought it from a book shop in USA and had it shipped over. It was pricey but so worth it. My daughter loves her so much, we do not have the no touch rule in this house. We say that the elf only comes alive at night when DD is asleep, so the DD can take her to bed or out for the day with us.
    Free- Hope you are feeling better after your migraine, Side effects for tablets are hard work to keep up with. Hope you are ok xx
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi folks,nice to see people who haven't been on for a while.

The festival was a bit of a washout,some extremely heavy showers but luckily there was a massive tent for the bands and the hardy souls who turned up.I don't get nervous about playing,I am pretty rubbish though,even after 20 years at it.There are about 10 diehards from the original line up and most are pensioners now,we really could do with some youth joining even if it's to push our wheelchairs!

I have been to a carboot sale this morning to buy cheap plants.I did also buy some gorgeous new in box kitty hand warmers which I will squirrel away in my Christmas stash.

nitnurse where is your anniversary trip? 30 years deserves celebrating.

Vx
     :
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just popping on, hope to give you all a better update later this week, but just letting you know I bought this month's Marie Claire mag (£3.99)that had benefit brow gel as a freebie, am putting away for DD's stocking and there's also another Glamour with a Benefit freebie (eyebrow pencil i think) but I couldn't find any in store. Today's teens seem more obsessed with their eyebrows than I ever remember me and my friends being we just used to pluck them!

Also both Claire's and Claire's Outlet had a stand or two of 5 items for £5, so picked up some items there too. Still mourn the loss of the days of 5 items for £3,:eek: don't think they'll ever be back. :(
  • PeonySugar
    PeonySugar Posts: 74 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi everyone :) hope you don't mind me popping by. I am as obsessed by Christmas as little kids are so hopefully I fit right in :j

This year I have got a lot on, me and my boyfriend are renovating our first house. We have had the roof, electrics, plastering, loft boarded out, and walls painted so far. Still got the bathroom and kitchen to fit, the skirting board and coving and flooring to do and we have had a disaster caused by next door to happen which is an on going saga. I am living with my parents whilst we are doing this and we are moving out of the family home to somewhere else, my mum is also to have surgery soon and work is extremely busy so my mental health is not in the best state. So I'm learning now to take a step back from everything and make a list on a morning of everything that needs doing so that I can relax ASAP.

So I'm gonna focus on some Christmas craft type things for the next few days, I have some Christmas fabric I didn't use last year and for some reason there are pine cones in the garden so gonna see what I can cobble together from that :)
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Doing ok thanks 0462, have the odd wobble but basically doing what I want to do whenever I can. I'm getting to know my very tired days but other than that I can do most things in moderation. I'm trying to say yes to as many things as I can. Hoping to go to see the Ab Fab movie with my DDs and my sister on Saturday but the tickets aren't available yet at our local imax so hoping it's still showing! Will hopefully be having pizza before so looking forward to it.

Welcome to this lovely thread PEONYSUGAR, you'll fit right in with all the Christmassy stuff that will be ramping up soon.

NITNURSE that's a great idea to have a 50th year long celebration, make the most of it!

NEWTHRIFT I can't buy chocolate in advance - I'm just too weak not to eat it lol.

FREE you did well to come out of the sale in profit, I seem to be doing it the other way round - I sell but then see something I really really need (or not) and end up spending what I made plus a bit more! I think FB selling groups and eBay are a double edged sword for me! Too much time to be browsing now I'm not working!
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport