PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

those little treats in life

Options
Hi everyone so so far so good managing to get grocery shopping down I have been beavering away with my tidying up but what I am finding really hard is not having the little treats I used to go ys hunting and buy loads of yummy food like cake to bring back or buy myself a magazine DVD etc ect. Now none of that is saving money but I really miss the little treats so I am wondering how do all you wonderful osers treat yourself?
February GC £261.97/24 NSDS 10/12
march 300/290 NSD 12/6
ARPIL 300/ 238.23 NSD'S 10/3

Comments

• cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi :)

We still have an occasional takeaway ( just once a month rather than a couple a week) also we still have holidays and the occasional day or night out. Life's to short for no treats :)

Cuddles :)
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • Hi there,

I'm also trying to cut down on treats and overpay the mortgage this year.

Magazines - I pick up the free Tesco, Boots ones for recipes etc instead of buying them just now. I also use the library to look for books I want before buying them. Free and more satisfying than a magazine full of ads, I find.

Coffees out - oops, still have them. But I do swipe my Starb***s card to get the points. I've also "downgraded" from a latte to a tall filter coffee with free sugar free syrup (if you have a loyalty card) and instead of getting the kids a hot chocolate, they get a free babyccino instead. You also get a free refill with the tall filter coffee so you can take one with you as you leave if you like ;).

I do find treats like coffees out actually seem more of a treat if you ration yourself with them! Good luck.

Ellie (DFS)
  • kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    Options
    Have to admit I still treat us a treat at the tea house. Sometimes you have to. Potvof earl grey and crumpets and Honey for £3.60. An hours peace.

Kids love it they too.

Other treats are hot chocolate with cream and marshmallows while watching a film.

Cineworld do a £1.50 per person showing every Saturday and Sunday. If you book online its only a £1
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'd thoroughly agree with both libraries and coffee out as small and [STRIKE]free[/STRIKE] council tax funded / affordable treats. I particularly enjoy an hour's chilling out leafing through magazines in the library. I've also discovered the KonMarie method of tidying which brings a strange joy into my life :o

Since I quit DT (not a conscious New Year's resolution but I am very glad of it) I have had loads of time and finished reading 8 half-started books that had been lying on the bedside table for months! Plus I feel pleasantly happy outside of the b*tching and carping.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • mrsmortenharket
    Options
    You still need a treat or otherwise you will give up.

What do you like? A magazine? A trip to costa? Or whatever you like. For me, once a month a trip to costa and a magazine.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Get a Waitrose card - if you can resist the other things then you can get a free coffee and a magazine, and if you go fairly late then their bread/cakes are usually massively reduced.
  • superrhinos
    Options
    I set aside a small amount from my grocery budget each week. Usually only £1 or £2 each week but its enough to stop me feeling that I am going totally without treats.
    GC: Feb (16th Jan - 15th Feb) £46.25 / £50 :)
    Mar (16th Feb - 15th Mar) £61.96 / £70
  • jjch2009
    jjch2009 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I find as I am at home most of the time with our disabled child, that getting out is difficult so a treat for me is to make a decadent traybake - something you wouldn't make every week ,(chocolate is my down fall- even cheap chocolate can be made into something yummy) and have a piece with my coffee!
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    Magazines just re-hash the same articles over and over again - she's lost weight, she's gained weigh, she's seeing someone, she's not seeing someone. Yawn. I flick through a couple when I'm having my hair done, but I haven't bought one for years and years.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • gayleygoo
    gayleygoo Posts: 816 Forumite
    Options
    I have a small monthly budget that I call my personal allowance, that I can spend on whatever I want without feeling guilty. I usually buy wool or fabric or other crafty things, as the feel-good factor of the purchase lasts much longer than a takeaway coffee or muffin.

It must be difficult if you have very little at all with which to treat yourself though. Could you save a certain coin towards treats (20p coins often work well!) in a jar or purse, and once a week/fortnight/month decide what you'd like to spend them on? Even just picking up coppers and any other money you see on the ground could add up to a cheap magazine.

Do you know anyone who buys magazines? Ask if they'll pass them on to you once they're done with them instead of recycling. You could even ask on a local free-cycle group or FB page. TBH I don't normally buy magazines now (apart from the occasional recipe mag), as they are so full of adverts and designed to entice you into buying more!

I prefer buying books from charity shops - the one near me sells all sorts of books, most under £1. Again I tend to go for recipe or crafting books. They had a "4 books for £1" day once and thankfully I was limited by what I could carry!

Treat-food wise, baking might be an option. It's not always cheaper than what the supermarket can make though, especially if you were buying ys items before. A batch of chocolate rice krispie/cornflake buns is cheap and one of my favourite things to make. You don't even need bun cases - just dollop onto an empty cereal bag, cling film or lined cake tin.

Another thing that I feel is a treat is getting out of the house to meet new people and have some "me-time". There might be some free courses at a local tech, or run by surestart, that you could avail of.

One Love, One Life, Let's Get Together and Be Alright :)

April GC 13.20/£300
    April
    NSDs 0/10
    CC's £255
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business