Build a website........

Options

Comments

• save-a-lot
    save-a-lot Posts: 2,809 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi

Look at building a site as a long term strategy and choose something you like or else it can turn into a chore, I am building a local interest site which will eventually be a fantastic resource (see my profile) but I am in it as a 3 year project to get it to anything like decent content, this is because to build the content I need to do research... it is a walking site so I need to walk the walks and explain the routes. Rich content sites do far better than sites that are on very common themes such as the sites sold as opportunities for adsense advertising.
  • save-a-lot
    save-a-lot Posts: 2,809 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    For free website template try the many 1000s at https://www.oswd.org - that is a good start for anyone.
  • gypmaster
    Options
    I think building a website is the easiest part!

The difficult (and much more important part) is getting relevant traffic which is ready to spend money.
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I look at it longterm and for the benefits of those I communicate with on a regular basis. It's great being able to add a website address to your stationery as there's every possibility that people will go for a look and see what it's about. THEN it's up to you how you choose to encourage them to stay there and perhaps even buy something. I use google ads and several other affiliate programmes and, although I do not have a really busy website, the sales and commissions do pay the annual costs of the doman names, my Internet access, my telephone bill and I still have some left over. It then becomes a compulsive hobby with financial fringe benefits :D
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • djkaizen
    djkaizen Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    Personally, I'm not a web designer, but a graphic designer and I useJoomla for all my sites https://www.joomla.org. Its an open source (free) software that you upload to your server (as outlined in other posts here). From this you can add different modules (such as chat functions or shopping carts, forums or anything you want0. There are plenty of successful businesses built on joomla sites.

I've built over 30 now & done all the graphics for the templates I use - friends family and local businesses mainly.

Its cheap, easy & can do almost anything you want with just a bit of learning.

Read as much as you can on the joomla site and if you need any help, post a message up here and I'll do my best to help.

Before you rush out and get hosting check that it meets the requirements for a joomla site.

Linus hosting & a mysql database are a must. I use siteground.com. They're the best for the money €5.99 a month.

For example of what joomla can do look at https://www.canecutters.co.uk

(None of the sites above are mine) :)
    David James aint got nothing on me
  • Frugaldom
    Options
    I'm now looking at how this PageRank mallarkey works. I just did a search for my own site and it says ranked 3/10 with a page ranking of 1,377,448 so I think I just worked out what another of my 2008 challenges is going to be! LOL Methinks I need to move up the scale a bit and lose the million. So, I'm going to try to get that number down below 999,999 as soon as I can. I'm not a web designer and I've not much of a clue about search engine optimisation, so any ideas are welcome. I don't mind how far-fetched they sound, so long as they can help me sort that big number so it's a digit shorter next year. On a plus point, I googled one of the items on my site and it came up number one!! I am well-chuffed! :)

• kisto
    kisto Posts: 7,075 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have used http://www.nvu.com/ to build websites. It's freeware and easy to use. I managed to get my non techy brain around it anyway! It has a WYSIWYG mode making it good for beginners.
    :T*Thanks to all who posts comps * :j
  • Zebedee69
    Zebedee69 Posts: 1,034 Forumite
    Options
    Dont forget your landing pages....

I used to run a website that sold airport parking. My Website was split like this:

Homepage - Contact us - Resources - T's & C's - Privacy Policy - Blog

Aberdeen
    Aberdeen Airparks
    Belfast
    Belfast Q Park
    Birmingham
    Birmingham Airparks
    Birmingham Pink Elephant
    Blackpool
    Blackpool On Airport Parking
    Bristol
    Silver Zone
    On Airport Parking
    NCP Flightpath
    Cardiff
    On Airport Parking
    Charles Gate Parking
    Dublin
    On Airport Parking
    Blah Blah you get the idea!

Basically just putting links everywhere doesnt seem to work for me. I find you have to target your website and therefore the visitors. I would build a webpage specifically for Heathrow Pink Elephant Parking for Terminal 2 and have 1 link to a recieving page where bookings can be made easily. This page had a load of content about that specific car park, opening times services advice for people with disabilities how quick the transfer are.

The website had 286 webpages and made a tidy profit £180 per month.
  • Annie021063
    Annie021063 Posts: 2,569 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have always liked the idea of owning/running a website and the possibility of earning some extra cash from it. It wasn't until recently though that I realised that I actually had quite a good idea for one. It would be a good place for parents and professionals to exchange ideas about a relevant and important subject. Now I do not want to go into too much detail now for obvious reasons but I was hoping that someone might point me in the right direction of where I might start. I'm thinking it could contain what could be a great blog, it would be informative and interesting for parents, it could be a great place for advertising. But where do I start.
    All advice would be gratefully recieved.
    Thanks
  • Frugaldom
    Options
    Hi Annie, I'm no expert but I did start with a basic free site with a domain name pointed at it but then had to buy commercial server space to avoid my pages being inundated with adverts by the provider. If you are planning on running any sort of commercial website I think (not 100% positive) you need your own server space as very few, if any, free space providers allow you total control of the space with regards to selling and introducing advertisers. In saying this, Google ads works fairly well as it picks up tips from the page and then only adds relevant content, for which you get paid each time someone clicks their links. It's in dollars, so the benefits of this are shortening, somewhat! Good luck with your idea. There are loads of free add-ons for your site. I now have a shop and use the free services of eBid for my listings, shopping basket and invoicing. I did try eBay, but I'm not that advanced a seller to risk losing too much by way of listing and re-listing fees.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport