PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Daily 24th Feb

redruby
redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
edited 24 February 2017 at 8:04AM in Old style MoneySaving
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning all,

Seems very much colder here today although Dorris did not really happen for us yesterday it was just windy.

Off to work for me today at least its Friday and its my weekend off.

Floss I have cancelled paying for the car tomorrow and have told them I shall pay Wednesday when I go to collect, the only reason they wanted me and several others to go Saturday was because Wednesday is very busy for them with 30 cars going out ! Tough not my problem !! Thanks for the advice.

Not sure about dinner tonight might have meatballs or maybe a takeaway will see how we feel.

Wont be doing to much tonight but will wash the towels ready to hang out tomorrow.

Jackie O have posted a brownie recipe on yesterdays thread.

Have good days all xx

Comments

• nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Morning everyone

redruby - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light here, calm now, but cloudy, air feels much cooler too.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 and DS2 still in their pits, although I can hear some movement from DS2 - he comes food shopping with me first thing Friday morning, then once we've shopped, loaded shopping into car, he walks to the gym for a work out then walks home afterwards - that's a pretty good workout as it's best part of an hour's walk home, other than the gym and walking to college etc he doesn't do any other exercise.

Dinner last night was fish, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg, I did remember to defrost the chicken, so we'll be having chicken in country french sauce, with HM egg and veg fried rice, HM trifle, victoria sponge or tea loaf for dessert.

I wasn't very productive yesterday at all, although I did get majority of the washing done, it's not all dry, so will check the forecast, if it looks ok, I'll peg it out if not it'll have to go on the airer or TD. I do need to do some ironing today but will then just potter about.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Good morning everyone :wave:

Thank you to redruby for starting us off.
    I have been up for a while as I was so thirsty it woke me up. Having downed a couple of pints of water and a mug of tea I feel a lot better now.

It has been very windy here thanks to Doris but the sun is predicted to make an appearance today so that will be nice. It feels very cold but that is because we have no heating still. Hopefully they will come and fit the new boiler on Wednesday and Thursday next week so not too long to wait. The girls are going over to their sister's house for a shower after school so they will be clean at least.

My dentist trip was ok. The dentist was a very lovely gentle man but unfortunately I need five extractions and five fillings. As it is such a long way to go (2 hours away) he is planning to do the treatment in two trips numbing one half of my face at a time. I feel sick thinking about it so I am sticking my head in the ground and ignoring it for now. My next appointment is at the end of March.

I am going to attempt mongolian beef for tea. It's a new recipe to me and the family so I hope it turns out ok. I have ordered a big shop to come this morning so there will be alternatives if it is inedible.

Thinking of you Judi, hope your son finds the help he needs x
    LameWolf, hope your meet and greet goes well x
    TravellingAbuela, I really hope the results are good for Mr TA x

Hubby is off today so I will have some company today. I am leaving him to have a lie in as he has to get up so early for work. The girls are all up though and getting ready for school.

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Morning everyone :wave:

Doris caused all kinds of problems for me yesterday. I ended up having to run a big presentation on a subject I wasn't 100% confident on to 80 people thanks to the trains being cancelled bringing in the troops. Luckily I am blessed with the gift of the gab so it turned out really well but it was touch and go for a while :D

Admin day today which roughly translates as a few bits of paper pushing maybe a couple of phone calls an email clear out and an afternoon snooze :rotfl: Want to get a head start on the cleaning today so that I can do some different jobs at the weekend like decluttering again (its going to be a long job)

Food wise its Friday so may well involve chips but dont know what else yet :)

Oh and here is the malteser brownie link. Totally lush :)

http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/malteser-brownies/
  • Morning folks and thanks RR for the thread. It feels oh so cold this morning but at least Doris has moved elsewhere. Apart from a few plant pots blown around we seem to have survived intact.

We didn't get the good news we had hoped for yesterday at St James. Mixed report of good news and bad. The PRRT treatment at Liverpool has shrunk the bowel tumour very slightly but the lesions on the liver have grown very slightly. We are back again Monday for fasting bloods and when results back further treatment will be decided. Current thinking is he will continue on the monthly injections with no further intervention for now, but the blood results may change that. Apparently there is hope that a new treatment for NET's will be funded "soon" but that's something for the future.

Meanwhile life goes on and today I have the pleasure of the Friday clean round to do. Though quite why I am bothering I don't know as we have the 3 DGDs most of the weekend and it will be as bad as ever!

After eating out and eating rubbish for most of the week I shall try and eat sensibly for a few days and have planned my meals accordingly. Avocado & poached egg for brekkie, celery soup and tuna salad for lunch and tonight smoked haddock, butternut squash roasties and some sort of salad. SF Jelly made and berries defrosting for afters with Greek Yoghurt. These meals are Mr TA's idea of hell so, for him, it will be all things naughty!

Have a good day and (HUGS) for the poorlies, worried and sad. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Wheat bags, wonderful things! I have two and had forgotten about them. I was feeling weak and pathetic, couldn't even lift the kettle with my right hand to make a cuppa. I decided to use one of the bags on my hip at the same time so I sat down a few times during the day, bright red bags on my hip and neck, lol. They smell a bit and Scampi kept coming over for a sniff, probably thought I had treats for him :D I couldn't wash my hair yesterday, my arm wouldn't go high enough. It's still painful but has loosened up a bit now so hopefully I can do it today.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]We didn't get much rain, but the wind was wild. I remembered a couple of roof tiles that came off last year – which we haven't replaced – and started worrying about more coming off. I haven't checked yet, I'll do that this morning.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The wind blew the tarp off the temporary chicken run and three girls escaped into the big run, I couldn't catch them because of my shoulder and I couldn't open the gate to herd them back in because the others would've made a run for it too. So I had to leave them out til it got dark.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Scampi was yelling at the wind from inside the house so there was no way I was taking him out for a walk. I let him out in the garden a few times for a wee, each time he went on a barky rampage for a couple of minutes before doing his business then running back inside.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]A few sheets of plastic 'glass' from the greenhouses blew out, I think they've all landed in our garden but I haven't checked yet, lol.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Hoping for a better day today :D[/FONT]

:beer:
    Bulletproof
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 February 2017 at 8:35AM
    Morning all,

Slept reasonably well. Only had to get up with one of the hounds once which coincided with my full bladder so that was good.

You may ask why I've shared my struggles with prodigal in such a public way. It's nothing I'm proud of. I'm not doing it for attention but the last time I was having problems with my Son quite a few people messaged me as they were having the same sort of problems with their own prodigals too. None of them wanted to share their problems with the world but my public posts made them feel less alone. In turn, these messages made me feel less alone. So, I'll carry on. I'll sum it up. I love the man but hate what he has turned into. It's quite simple really.

Storm Doris seems to have past. It's caused quite a bit of damage locally but no serious injuries thankfully.

Need to go through my wardrobe today to see what still fits me. I'm down to 2 pairs of jeans, a blouse, 3 jumpers, a long cardigan and a couple of dresses as I've lost weight. Need to buy new undies the weekend too.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Good morning.

All is calm here (Glasgow) though I slept fitfully. Think it's the fault of the mattress. I'll be getting up soon to take the car for its second service, I've got a book ready as I'll be waiting for it. Later in the afternoon I'm taking DM to her docs appointment.

TA - I'm glad your journey wasn't too bad even if the news was a bit iffy.

Dumpling - well done on getting to the dentist. It's always troubling for me too.

Right, need to move. Happy Friday to all.
  • Good Morning all bright and dry at the moment hopefully it will stay that way .Its DGS Jacks 17th birthday today so I will be at DDs for dinner tonight ,no idea what it will be as the boys get to choose what they want for their birthday meal.Knowing Jack its possibly pizza as he is a real pizza fan:):)
    Judi I think you are a very brave lady to share you worries and fears with the rest of us on the forum. I have been lucky so far, that drugs hasn't affected me or mine, but I can understand how worried you must be as any Mum would be.If it helps anyone at all then share by all means

I think sharing your worries and woes often helps others inadvertently.

10 years ago I was going through breast cancer, and I used to post about how I felt and what the treatments were like and their effects

I had some lovely replies from total strangers who were feeling as scared and frightened as I was at the prospect of chemo and radio therapy.We all helped each other I think .

One night after feeling the particularly nasty effects of the chemo I was sitting at my computer talking to someone at 3.00 am as I just couldn't sleep Bless he she kept my spirits up and we ended up having quite a long conversation about all sorts of daft things .Took my mind off my woes, and her mind of her arthritic pain she was suffering.So never apologise for sharing .We are all a 'virtual' shoulder to help each other out

redruby thanks for the recipe and also thanks nelski for the Malteser one as well.

This afternoon I am back at History club which I always enjoy as we not only learn a lot but our tutor bakes an exceedingly good cake :) and her coffee is pretty good as well .This afternoon we shall learn all about the Royal Society.

<<hugs >> to those who are in need and if its still windy and cold try to keep warm and dry
    Cheers chums

JackieO xx
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Morning all.

I have a day off work today but I am feeling decidedly unwell.

Started yesterday with a cough and it feels like it's on my chest. My throat is uncomfortable rather than sore but coughing hurts my chest. My head hurts and I think i have a bit of a fever. I didn't sleep well either.

I would love to have stayed in bed, but the reason for my day off is to get my eyes tested. I have an appointment at 11am but it takes an age to get depending on the very unpredictable half hourly buses added to that a long walk before hand. So will being getting ready to go soon as knowing my luck I'll just miss a bus and the next one will be late and I'll miss my appointment.

Planning on a bit of shopping after in town as i very rarely go and really need various clothing items. Just hope I don't feel as rubbish as i do now and end up just getting a bus home...as it will be a waste seeing as I have made the effort to go iyswim :o

I'm waffling so shall go get dressed..

have a good day all :)

TA sorry the news wasn't as good as hoped.

Judi..I really feel for you with your problems with your son..such a struggle to cope with, when you want to help but can't.
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,584 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    dumpling, well done on getting to the dentist but I'm sorry you have to go through further treatment.

Judi, I think most of us post personal things on here, in my case no-one I know irl reads the daily or knows my user name so I feel quite safe.

Poor DD had a fairly unhappy bday because the lead flashings on their new roof were blown off in the storm, they can't have been fitted properly. They now need to get the builders back again to sort it.

I'm taking DSil to MK to catch the train home at lunchtime and then I want to sort out our bedroom and DD's room which has become a bit of a dumping ground.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure