PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2016

Options

Comments

• Upsidedown_Bear
    Upsidedown_Bear Posts: 18,264 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello bookworms book-smiley.gif?1292867558

I didn't finish Underground by S L Grey. It was written from the point of view of a number of characters which I found confusing. And it was really boring.

Read and enjoyed The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton.

The Moscow Option by Jeremy Duns was really good.

I enjoyed No Mercy by Roberta Kray but I'm not sure I'd want to read another of her books.

Other than those I have been reading more of D J Molles The Remaining series.
    I've read Aftermath and Refugees. Currently reading Fractured. It's 600+ pages so is taking a while.

Happy reading all :)
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I downloaded the latest Donna Leon novel yesterday. DH and I both enjoy her books.
  • MitziB
    MitziB Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    THIRZAH wrote: »
    I downloaded the latest Donna Leon novel yesterday. DH and I both enjoy her books.

What type of books does she write, please? Can't say I've ever heard of her:o but I'm always up for trying to find a new-to-me writer that I'll enjoy.
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    She writes crime novels set in Venice. The hero/detective is called Brunetti.
  • Treasurequeen
    Options
    Have finished follow me home by Cathy woodman and I really enjoyed reading it. I will be keeping the book to re-read again in the future it was that good. I like the style of Cathy woodman's writing as most of her books follow on but it doesn't really matter if you haven't read some of them. This book allowed me to find out what some of her characters in her past books are up to now. I am now reading the death relic by Chris kuzneski.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Here's what I've been reading over the last few weeks

18 - The Rose Girls – Victoria Connelly
    19 - Lie Down With Lions – Ken Follett
    20 - Sharpe’s Triumph – Bernard Cornwell
    21 - The Strings of Murder – Oscar de Muriel

The pick of the bunch was The Strings of Murder. It's a detective story set in Victorian Edinburgh, with slightly supernatural overtones. The two detectives who have been thrown together dislike each other, and are constantly insulting each other - some of the things they say are very funny. I could imagine this on TV - I think it'd transfer well to the screen

I normally enjoy Ken Follett, but didn't like Lie Down with Lions. The three main characters were very difficult to like, and there was a sex scene that went on for pages, which was gratuitous, didn't add to the story, and worse of all was clumsily written

Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Susan1962
    Susan1962 Posts: 297 Forumite
    Options
    Just finished third of a series of downloaded books by Jana DeLeon - all about a New Orleans community. The premise is a bit of a mish-mash, including murder, ghosts and sex - but nice light reading. First one is called "Trouble in Mudbug". Worth a look but not too taxing at the end of a long work week.

Just waiting on the next Game of Thrones novel - bit annoyed that the tv series has overtaken the books but at least they were all already published when I started - the writer takes years - quite literally - to finish them.
    Looking ahead
  • Hobsons_Choice
    Hobsons_Choice Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Presently reading "Tennison" by Lynda La Plante.
    It's a prequel of the Tennison series (televised with Helen Mirren) and I'm really enjoying it.
    Normal people worry me.
  • yellowbear
    yellowbear Posts: 633 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cairndog wrote: »
    My library book group came up with what is billed as a "psychological thriller" called Behind Closed Doors by B A Paris.
    I'm half way through but it's so awful I can't waste any more time on it. Must be me as it's got rave reviews all over the net, but there are dissenters so I'm not alone.

Has anyone else on Bookworm thread read it?

I've read it. I found it hard going on places. I thought the main character was a bit drippy. But I read on and actually had a few late nights because I wanted to know whether she plucked up the courage to leave him.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    THIRZAH wrote: »
    She writes crime novels set in Venice. The hero/detective is called Brunetti.

I'd second Donna Leon's books as great reads.

I've just finished 'A Man Called Ove'. By Fredrik Backman.

Superb. A gentle black comedy about a guy who wants to kill himself, but life keeps getting in the way.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure