PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Saturday 17th February 2018

Options
nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 17 February 2018 at 7:29AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Saturday 17th February 2018

This is an !!!8220;over the garden fence!!!8221; type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It!!!8217;s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we!!!8217;re going to do today or what we!!!8217;ve achieved already. Everyone!!!8217;s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn!!!8217;t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don!!!8217;t post large pictures, or clip art !!!8211; links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don!!!8217;t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Still dark but air feels chilly.

DH and I up enjoying peaceful cuppas, whilst watching the Winter Olympics. Both boys still in their pits, I'll let them lie in as they have no need to get up yet, although DS2 wants to go to the gym this morning.

Dinner last night was HM egg and veg fried rice, chicken in black bean sauce, stir fry veg and mushroom chow mein, all eaten and enjoyed. Tonight will be picky bits of hot quiche, southern fried chicken pieces, french fries, salad, coleslaw/pasta salad.

I was reasonably productive yesterday kept going with the washing, drying and ironing, so whilst the dirty wash basket is not empty, it's not too bad, I will be putting another load in this morning which is DH's work clothes and anything else dark that will make up the load. This morning first thing I'll head into town to visit the bank and building society. We'll be doing whatever household stuff needs to be done also.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning everyone

Thanks for starting us off nmlc.

Specky I usually have a slice of whatever I have made. Yesterday I had a slice of the soda bread at lunch time and a hot cross bun in the afternoon. The rest of the hot cross buns and the apple cake are in the freezer and I will use the soda bread over the next couple of days. I give a lot of it to friends/family/neighbours. I just like home made things and enjoy baking. Not up to GBBO standard though!

It is worry that is stopping me from sleeping Nelski. My GP has been really good and has done what he can and I do have some sleeping tablets, but only take them when things get really desperate and I become physically ill through lack of sleep, on top of the health problems that I have. I have tried staying up until midnight or 1.00am for 14 consecutive nights but still end up having a bad night and getting up by 5.00am.

Pleased to see you post Karcher. I hope that things improve for you soon.

I!!!8217;m going to be joining Nelski in watching James Martin this morning and then will give the sitting room and bedroom a good clean.

I have a pile of books and seem to be suffering from indecisiveness at the moment and can!!!8217;t decide what to read next. I usually narrow it down to three or four and then can!!!8217;t decide.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,407 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all.
    Had a bad night coughing and then a nosebleed so have been up since 4am :(.
    Don't know what today will bring. The wind outside is whistling around the corner of the house but I can't see any frost/ice and the temperature is a balmy 6 degrees.
    There is a bit of ironing glaring at me in the basket and I want to make some blackberry and apple tarts later. I would have done them yesterday but I forgot to take last years blackberries out of the freezer :o.
    More investigation into my gardening problems will be my priority this afternoon. I have an idea brewing about replacing the hedge.
    Sorry if this is a bit disjointed but after all it's very, very early for me :eek:.
    Nelski I have beaten you this morning, but I don't think I want to repeat it very often :rotfl:. May have a nanna nap later :D.
    NMLC thanks for the start off.
    Hope everyone has a good Saturday. I will have a catch up later. Hugs to all.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,007 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning All

All the housework and washing was done when I got home from work, feels good to have got it out of the way. Once this wind and rain stops (probably about May) I'll have to tackle the windows.

I'm driving to Carlisle this morning to meet up with one of my best friends. She lives in Yorkshire so we decided to meet half way, we're staying in a B&B tonight so can have a good wander round and chat loads, really looking forward to it.

Hope all's well with you, have a good weekend, take care. XX
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning all.

Woken by my bladder, usually it happens earlier and I can nod off again. As it is later I am wide awake. Mind you the ‘reward’ is hearing lovely Johnny Walker presenting Sound of the Sixties while Tony Blackburn is on holiday. JW has a such soothing voice.

After my run around day yesterday my aim is for a much calmer time today apart from the drive home.

I wish everyone the same. Happy Saturday.
  • TravellingAbuela
    TravellingAbuela Posts: 6,678 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 February 2018 at 8:12AM
    Options
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. It looks fine as far as I can tell but light rain and wind is forecast. But at least it's going to be warmer and reach 6 deg!

Yet another rubbish night for me too. No matter what time I go to bed my inbuilt alarm wakens me at 4.00/4,30 and that's my lot - wide awake and worrying as usual.

After my industrious day on Thursday I was a bit CBA yesterday. The Friday Tidy was a half hearted affair. And I was regretting washing all the kids duvet covers and curtains when I looked at the enormous pile erupting out of the ironing basket!

I think I shall have a bus ride into town this morning. Just for a wander really but I could do with a trip into Poundland for odd things. That's the busiest shop we have these days - a sign of the times?! We are losing decent shops one by one - Body Shop was the last to leave us and now we hear our M & S is one earmarked for closure. We have quite a nice little department store but there are constantly rumours flying around that it is going to shut down too.

I made a big pan of Pea & Ham soup last night as it's Mr TA's favourite and I thawed the last one out for his lunch yesterday. He was off it all day and didn't feel like eating so just a bowl of soup was enough for him. I'll see what he's like when he gets up before I decide what's on the menu today. Usually these feelings of discomfort last a day or two and he cuts back on eating which seems to help. A worry.

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) for all in need/want of them. KARCHER nice to see you posting, albeit briefly. GERS hope DM soon gets over her UTI. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,295 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Options
    Morning All,

Family Meeting at the home went well . I got home just as hubby was coming home with the fish and chips.

I am on holiday for a week now.

Today I need to tackle some shredding. Sort out more of moms paperwork for Monday, as the council need to see her savings. Also in the afternoon I will go and check on the house.

Need to order a few stocking fillers for Hubby's 65th on Friday.

Have a good Saturday xx
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone :hello:

I didn't wake up until 7.30 this morning which is a bit of a record for me. I've left Steve snoring gently and come downstairs to find Phoebe is up and she had already fed the animals. Bobby was so excited to see me, it is really sweet. I am taking him to the pet groomers today as he is getting a bit shaggy and needs a good cut. I am thinking about going in on the bus but I feel rather nervous about it. His appointment isn't til 3pm so I have a while to think about it.

I also have a massive pile of washing to do today. As soon as Steve is up and about I will go and sort it ready to go in the machine. It's going to take all day as there are at least 5 loads including the dogs bedding and toys. Oh well, I am grateful for my washing machine and tumble dryer. Many many moons ago I had a twin tub and although I loved it, I had to stand over it all the time while it was on. I used to help my gran put all her washing through the mangle in her garden, now that was a scary contraption. I was always afraid it was going to squash my fingers :rotfl:.

I believe we are going to have a cooked breakfast when Steve appears and that will set us up for the day. I think the girls can fend for themselves if they don't get up in time. I have shopping arriving between 10 and 11 so they usually get up to help putting it away.

I hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Good morning :wave:

Good grief nanny you are an early bird this morning ...not a nice reason though aren't you supposed to control this sandman chap? Seems he's slacking a bit for our OS friends. Have to confess he is doing a good job for me and despite my habit wake up at 6.20 I went back for another hour or so. Hope you Holly and TA manage to get a nanny nap later :)

Did most of the downstairs yesterday and decided to put the oven cleaner on over night too so I have that to sort this morning. Its the one where you put all the shelves in a bag and they come out sparkly :D I do love a magic cleaner like this one although its not very OS I know :o

Today i need to nip to pickup some shorts I ordered from Asda (yeah I know its still winter but shorts are easy to put on when you have a dodgy hip :) ) Ill do that soon then I can get back for my befriending call. HollyIll see you round at James' house later on too :cool:

House wise i want to finish the oven then steam the shower which will be an interesting challenge as I cant bend down now ....it badly needs it though so will have to do the best possible. Bit of washing to put away then its back to my declutter mission.

Had a lovely pizza from Asda last night it was a bbq steak and cheese one and was surprisingly tasty :) ill finish that off today to save some freezer space.

Right best get on lots to do and I dont want to be late for James.
    Have a great day all :A
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    edited 17 February 2018 at 9:49AM
    Options
    Morning all. I'm a bit tired as I woke myself up sneezing at 3 and got up as I didn't want to disturb Sir Grumpalot. He gets quite ratty if I wake him, which does happen as I am a restless and wriggly sleeper. He's just got up.

I am full of cold, feel a bit odd. Am meant to be visiting a friend but may have to cry off as she is very germ conscious. She probably won't want my germs. I'll see if I feel less snotty later.

I worked hard yesterday, cleaned the bathroom and kitchen quite thoroughly, hoovered the sitting room, hall and stairs, did laundry and the Friday Tidy and then got on with some knitting.

JackieO, there are a lot of things to see in Birmingham, the back to backs are open but you have to book in advance. Sarehole Mill is a real working mill, it does have quite a few stairs, is your friend up to stairs? It is interesting and provided some inspiration for Tolkien, again check out if open because it isn't always. Aston Hall, Blakesley Hall and Soho House are worth lookin up and you might enjoy a look at the jewellery quarter. There is a museum there, and also a pen museum, which doesn't sound that fascinating but apparently is. I love the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery. The exhibitions change regularly but they do sometimes have local history exhibitions and those are really good. Also, after a long trudge round the ceramics, which I like very much, I always want to see the ancient pottery, you can go into the Edwardian Tea Room, part of the museum, and have a sit down with tea and cake, they also do meals but I think the meals are quite expensive. Then we also have a little railway museum, run by enthusiastic enthusiasts, but I've not been there since DS was quite young so I've just looked it up and it is only available on specific open days. I remember trundling along in a steam train with Father Christmas there. There is quite a lot to do here, the Symphony Hall has daytime concerts as well as the evening offerings, the Cathedral has choral performances, that's slap bang in the city centre, in what we locals call pigeon park. We have a big Repertory Theatre, a Sciencey Museum but it has a more modern name now I think, but the two places I like best are the Botanical Gardens and Winterbourne House and Gardens. I prefer Winterbourne as it is on a smaller site and although some of it is fancy, a lot is more domestic and you can see different things at different times of the year. They also have a little second hand book shop.

For charity shops, Harborne High Street is nice and there are some goid independent coffee places there. For real CS bargains though Erdington High Street, to the north of the city (Harborne is South west) is very good but parking is a bit of a pest in both places. In Erdington, prepare to be jostled as it is crowded. Harborne is regarded as quite a posh area, Erdington isn't but I like it. Apart from the church which had to be partly rebuilt after some of the local people who like sitting on the benches in the street outside with their cans and bottles decided that sitting about was too boring so they set fire to the church. The new bit is ugly. A bit further afield is the Black Country Living Museum, I think you might like that and you'd be in the car so the distance is not that much different. If you wanted zoos, animal conservation places, wildlife parks I could tell you about those but you might feel that you've earned the right not to have to do those again!
    Hope those are helpful.

Have a good day everyone
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • dp1
    dp1 Posts: 1,678 Forumite
    Options
    Morning everyone
    I'm having a lazy start to the day...got up about 7.30, fed the cats , made my breakfast and came back to bed with my laptop. I'll have to move soon though as I need to clean the bathroom and then wash the towels. Its dry and bright so they'll be able to get a blow outside. Then I've got some ironing to do. I have a hair cut at 2.15 this afternoon, if it stays fine I may walk in. It just takes about half an hour, then I'll get the bus home...it's uphill coming back! I seem to have spent too much on bus fares this week as I've had several appointments with being off work.
    Hope everyone has a good day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport