Options
2»

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    My son bought an unmetered house in the Severn Trent(ST) area. The house had been unoccupied for over a year and was owned by a bank - the previous owner had owned it through a company that went bust.

Worried that there might be 12 months + of bills I rang ST and told the operator that Cardew Junior had bought the house with a completion date of xxxxx.

A bill came in his name a week or two later for the period to April. He paid that bill and for the last couple of years he gets 6 monthly bills which he pays. He doesn't have an on-line account, and doesn't pay by DD.

Good to hear :)

Hopefully your son used a solicitor (or at least a licensed conveyancer) who would have recorded his purchase with the land registry :)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    footyguy wrote: »
    Good to hear :)

Hopefully your son used a solicitor (or at least a licensed conveyancer) who would have recorded his purchase with the land registry :)

Sorry footyguy we seem to be at cross purposes.

I can't see what getting the house purchase correctly registered has to do with the name on the water account, or for that matter the electricity account. It would be exactly the same if he were renting the property.

I was merely making the point that a telephone call was sufficient to put the account in a person's name.

As said earlier lots of people in shared accommodation have posted that they found, to their surprise, the landlord/letting agent/other occupant had put the account in their name.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure