iPhone v HTC Desire

Options

Comments

• purple12
    purple12 Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just as an afterthought, my Desire arrived today and I have to say I'm incredibly impressed. It took me a bit of time to try and work it out (I am not the sharpest cookie) but I am very glad I went for this option rather than the iphone.
    Not because I'm not absolutely convinced that the iphone would be lovely - I have no doubt it is - but because this phone is more than able to meet all the needs I have for phone and mobile internet access purposes.

And it's saved me a heap of money on what the iphone would have cost.
  • daindian
    daindian Posts: 434 Forumite
    Options
    lol try using the desire in bright sunlight
  • flyingscotno1
    flyingscotno1 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    daindian wrote: »
    lol try using the desire in bright sunlight

Is there a problem? The screen gets a bit dull, but I used it at Silverstone with no issues and it was sunny there.
  • daindian
    daindian Posts: 434 Forumite
    Options
    i could barely see it in direct sunlight but the new sony screen on the desire fixes that
  • geordieracer82
    Options
    Looks like your hero problems are because of the custom rom you installed rather than the hero. Btw 2.1 android is available direct from htc for more than a month and no need for a custom rom.

Custom roms come with custom radios that might cause problems with reception. There is a hero owner on three network here who has also rooted and has a custom rom and radio and says never dropped a connection since. So looks like your rom is the problem.

If you just want a different look then no need to root or flash custom roms, all you need on android is app like launcher pro or adw launcher. I have adw launcher, just a press of the home button and I can swap between 7 screens of htc sense and 7 of adw launcher. Adw is much more customisable than sense but sense is more polished. So I now have the sense look 7 screens plus 7 more with adw with galaxy s look. Plus allows upto 10 widgets on one row.

What's wrong with a phone a week being launched, isn't that what happens with most things in electronics now a day's. Just because I buy a desire or a iphone today why should others be limited to older technology if it is possible to have the latest technology when they buy.

To make a valid signal reception comparison of phones they should not be modified like yours and all need to have same sim. Iphones are good hence the buyers, but to use a hero and imply desire might be similarly poor is laughable. Comparing a bullock cart with a car. If you want a comparison then use the galaxy s or the desire. Please remember custom roms allow users of android phones much after their commercial life on the market and far beyond what even the manufacturer imagined, this isn't always possible on all phones.

support for software does not necessarily mean it will work on old phones. just like there were issues getting 2.1 on the hero, there are issues with iOS4 working on the 3gs or 3g and not all features will work. if it did work then there never would be any reason for anyone to buy new phones! so dont blame newer software released much later after you bought the phone not working on your phone as the reason the phone is faulty!

if iOS4 works on the iphone older models then that is a bonus not a mandatory requirement since it is an OLDER model, the same applies to the hero or the desire. so the hero not getting the 2.1 update like the newer models isnt necessarilirly a valid gripe. yes it is great if all phones get the latest software and everything works but that is not reality in phones or even computers, thats life unfortunately. if htc does not release the 2.2 for the desire i dont have any hold on htc but atleast i have options like shipped roms and xda and umptten others to load newer software on my phone and give it additional functionality and extended life than even fathomed by the manufacturer, thats the advantage of android. but others views might differ. jail breaking offers some such advantages on iphones too.

by my upgrade time next year last quarter, i will surely have dual core htc phones 1.5ghz and 2ghz htc and motorola android phones even by todays confirmed pipeline models, there might even be much better ones by then. but i wouldnt hope for everything those phones do with software to be possible on my desire, thats reality.

The ROM is fine, its simply that in this location no phone can get a signal, that is no phone but the iPhone 4!

The point I am trying to make is that, yes its fine for HTC to bring out new models, but the problem is that as soon as the new model is out, support for older models dries up to practically nothing, and this has been the same with them for as long as I have had their phones.

Apple have made an effort to support their older models, which is very important given that contacts are now generally 18 and 24 months in duration, last thing I want, is to end up with a phone that stops being supported as soon as something newer and shiner is on the market, and that is the fate I see for the Desire once the Ace (or Desire HD) is released.

I actually moved away from HTC with my last upgrade to Blackberry Bold 9000, but this was stolen and the Hero was my replacement, not my choice, but its OK. Personally I found it slow and buggy when it was on 1.5, and the continued broken promises of an upgrade to 2.1, have reaffirmed my faith in the decision to move away from HTC.

I know what I am doing reasonably well with a phone, I am fully capable of rooting it and loading on a custom ROM, which is how I got 2.1, which yes it has been released by HTC and is now available on T-Mobile, but for those poor chumps on 3 and Orange are stuck with 1.5, which is why I put on a custom ROM. I don't expect all features to work, just like an update of the OS on a computer if you have an older model.

After a week of perfect use of the iPhone 4, I know I am not going back to HTC when my upgrade date rolls along, its iPhone4 all the way.
  • chris180682
    chris180682 Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    markray007 wrote: »
    In answer to your question, and not wanting to bore people......This was the deal i got with the HTC desire.

New orange customer on Dolphin, buying from E2save.

25 pcm for 24 mths, including 400 xnet minutes, unltd txts and 500mb intenret.

But 1/2 price line rental for 13 mths by redemption (i know, but ive done it before without any hassle)

£ 152 cashback for old Nokia N97

£55 cashback via quidco for the e2 save transaction.

Comment away....but i made that just under £10 pcm. = £240 for the life of the contract.

Which, for a phone i really liked the look of with enough minutes and stuff sounded like a great deal. As I say, Im absolutely thrilled with the phone.

:money:

Cheers,
    That does sound like a very good deal, especially with the redemption and cashback. Thing is I don't really want a 24 month contract but that would still be cheaper over 2 years so might have a look around. I won't get anything for my old though as my n95's screen has just gone so I might get about £30. Anyone know any networks that do the desire on 12 month? Also, is the desire the latest HTC phone? (seems to be the best HTC one judging by the reviews I've read) Is there a new HTC coning out soon or something? Saw something about HTC HD?
  • geordieracer82
    Options
    That would be the HTC Ace, also rumoured to be called the HTC Desire HD, at which point support for the HTC Desire will be pretty much dropped, as usual for HTC.
  • Rumman
    Rumman Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    i could barely see it in direct sunlight but the new sony screen on the desire fixes that

Is that for the Desire HD? All AMOLED screens have problem in bright light, i can barely see it in daylight tbh
  • Rumman
    Rumman Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    That would be the HTC Ace, also rumoured to be called the HTC Desire HD, at which point support for the HTC Desire will be pretty much dropped, as usual for HTC.

What support do you actually need for your phone after a new one has been released? Upgrading the OS? That's pretty much doable and is the same with other OS from other companies. I do agree that Apple's after care is unrivalled and is excellant.
  • bubblesmoney
    bubblesmoney Posts: 2,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 July 2010 at 11:45PM
    Options
    anything with glass on it reflects light too that includes the desire screen / sony screen / samsung screen / iphone screen just the amount of reflection will differ. all one needs to do is to change the angle one is holding it and the reflections and glare becomes a lot less. granted the glare is less with superamoled than with amoled. it is dull in sunlight but still usable. i am not a street vendor so the phone screen suits my needs fine and ok when out and about too. taken loads of photos and videos of my daughter playing in the garden and when we go out too and they look fine to my eyes.

but the feel is different due to the difference in sizes between the desire / iphone and galaxy s. i might have gone for the galaxy s but cant be sure of that, i prefer the 7 home screens with sense look and feel as it is zippy. i have adw launcher and so have 7 additional screens with galaxy s look, but think i still prefer the sense look and widgets. just user preference, others may prefer other stuff. the back of the desire does not feel plasticky and is very good and non slip, am not so sure the same can be said of the galaxy s. i also use the LED light on the desire as a torch courtesy of the LED desire light app. i also have the new beta keyboard (swiftkey keyboard) which is rated better than swype by many websites and i think holds the world record for texting speed. also had 'thick buttons' keyboard too just to try out other keyboards. anyway i dont use the keyboard at all usually for google searches as just do voice search on google as it is pretty accurate even with my accent. havent done that much with voice typing with rest of the stuff, probably should do that more often from now on so that i wont need a keyboard at all for most stuff.

i am more than pleased with my desire phones but wouldnt mind getting better gadgets too come upgrade time. i dropped plans for now of getting a netbook after buying the desire. guess that says enough about how good the phone is. i use it regularly for web browsing / phone / voice search / sat nav / camera / video camera etc and am pleased with what it does, especially the speeds of browsing, gps lock, voice search, camera, video camera, default keyboard and loads of free apps etc. i havent felt the need to buy one single app till now but probably will buy a few or donate some money for the developers of some free apps that i use often. i have about a hundred apps and have tried loads more and didnt need to pay for any of them.

most of my phone use is indoors so sunlight reflections isnt much of an issue for me, even when i have used it outdoors it wasnt much of an issue for me as i could still angle the screen to decrease the reflections and keep screen brightness at maximum to be able to use the phone. my wife hasnt complained about the screen either with her desire phone.

my total cost including my 18m contract with 1100mins xnet, 300mins 3-3 calls, 1gb internet including phone cost is 370£ on one phone and 510£ on the second phone contract plus phone. for my plan i still cant find a cheaper cost just for the contract (dont forget mine being inclusive of the phone cost too). plus i get good data speeds too as i have quoted on the speedtest thread. it could have been better but i still got a great deal and am happy with that. there might be better deals now but i got mine in first week of may so have used them for 2.5 months now.
    bubblesmoney :hello:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport