The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• dekkard
    dekkard Posts: 229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hello,
    I'm new to Forum so please excuse any mishaps.
    I've recently retire and am looking for Investment areas, some instant Access other longer term.
    Recent searching revealed London Capital & Finance - 3 Year Growth Bond at 8%.
    Has anyone experience of this or is it 'Too good to be True'

Other threads on this forum on the topic of this company suggest it offers no FSCS protection at all. Risky!
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,434 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 February 2017 at 4:35PM
    Options
    hello,
    I'm new to Forum so please excuse any mishaps.
    I've recently retire and am looking for Investment areas, some instant Access other longer term.
    There is the potential for you to lose 100% of your capital with this investment. Investing in a single bond like this is probably riskier than buying an investment fund investing in stocks and shares. Since you are posting in a thread about savings accounts, I presume you are looking to save rather than invest?
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options

Yes. Too good to be true.
  • vaio2002
    vaio2002 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 18 March 2017 at 10:12AM
    Options
    Hi,
    A word of warning, I just tried to apply for a Post Office Online Saver and it states a max length of email address is 32 characters! This falls well short in length of the agreed standard in the technology industry. (254 max)

I then tried calling them (3 times), the voice on the menu was clear and loud but when put through to a call handler they had a very very quiet voice. After asking them repeatably to speak up they would not answer my question to why the email address had to be so short!

Hope this stops some one else getting frustrated.

Thanks,
    Jon.
    2010 Posts: 5,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I would have thought 32 characters was ample for an email address.
  • masonic
    edited 19 March 2017 at 12:18PM
    Options
    It's nothing like enough, Mine's got 37 characters after the @ so I'm with vaio2002 that 32 for the whole email address is ridiculous when addresses should be allowed up to 254 characters.
    Blimey, from time to time I have to spell out my email address over the phone. I find that pretty annoying even though it is quite short. I couldn't imagine doing so with 37 characters, let alone 254 :rotfl: There are also machine readable forms where I've had to enter an email address and would certainly not have been able to do so if my email address was much longer than it currently is.

I suppose if Pablo Picasso were alive today, he's have wanted to grab the email address: Pablo.Diego.Jose.Francisco.de.Paula.Juan.Nepomuceno.Mar!a.de.los.Remedios.Cipriano.de.la.Sant!sima.Trinidad.Ruiz.y.Picasso@gmail.com
    Fortunately for him, since this is only 132 characters, he could even extend it if someone else has already taken that address. ;)

I'm glad to see you've both managed to keep your forum names nice and short.
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    masonic wrote: »

I suppose if Pablo Picasso were alive today, he's have wanted to grab the email address: Pablo.Diego.Jose.Francisco.de.Paula.Juan.Nepomuceno.Mar!a.de.los.Remedios.Cipriano.de.la.Sant!sima.Trinidad.Ruiz.y.Picasso@gmail.com
    Fortunately for him, since this is only 132 characters, he could even extend it if someone else has already taken that address. ;)

Except Picks has said that it is the bit after the @ which is so long. So maybe it is something like picks@themostwonderfulinternetcompanyanywhereintheworld.com :rotfl:
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • masonic
    Options
    Except Picks has said that it is the bit after the @ which is so long. So maybe it is something like picks@themostwonderfulinternetcompanyanywhereintheworld.com :rotfl:
    He should think himself lucky he doesn't work here:
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/04120480

picks(at)thisisthecompanywiththelongestnamesofarincorporatedattheregistryofcompaniesinenglandandwalesandencompassingtheregistriesbasedinscotlan.com
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Okay, I think we have all made the point now. Can we stop turning this into a 'longest internet names' thread :D
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    He should think himself lucky he doesn't work here:
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/04120480

picks(at)thisisthecompanywiththelongestnamesofarincorporatedattheregistryofcompaniesinenglandandwalesandencompassingtheregistriesbasedinscotlan.com
    You're only allowed 31 characters between dots
    picks(at)thisisthecompanywiththe.longestnamesofarincorporated .attheregistryofcompanies.inenglandandwales .andencompassing.theregistriesbasedinscotlan.ltd.uk

Incidentally, that company name appears to have hit a limit at companies house, otherwise would have had a final 'd'.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport