Thinking of giving up work to go on benefits

Options

Comments

• shelovestobuystuff
    Options
    I don,t know what line of work you are in but could you perhaps consider self-employment?
    You may not be able to reduce your hours being self employed,infact most self employed people work longer hours, but at least you decide on your own hours,you can take time off when you want it and if you want to do somthing during the day with your wife or family you can just work extra long the following day or through the night to make up for it.
    You can still claim tax credits too based on self-employed income.
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • shelovestobuystuff
    Options
    ted_ted wrote: »
    Life is about hard work not just lazing around doind s*d all
    Life is about being happy,work is only meant to be a part of that.
    "Don,t work hard,work clever!!!"I don,t remember who said that but I am sure it was someone very happy.:D
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • dearbarbie
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    And what a vote catcher that would be. I think there are many people who have never voted Tory in their lives but would seriously consider it if that was an election promise. With WTC it's become easier to maintain a work life balance yet some people simply don't want to work

Exactly. I'm normally Lib Dem but am swinging towards trendy ol' Cam and his ideas. I used to think I was brash in what I thought about people on the dole and that kind of thing but now I don't. I don't see why most of us should contribute to the economy, the running of the country, the success of the country, and then there are those who think they can sit back, live off the benefits and expect us to graft on their behalf. No thanks.
    :A
  • mummy_Jay
    mummy_Jay Posts: 495 Forumite
    Options
    Ok, Glen you seem to like comparing yourself to others, lets me compare you to me.

I am a single mum with a wage alot closer to 20K than 30K, I get child beneifit, working tax/child tax credits which in total each month only go about 80% to covering my child care costs. I get NO MAINTENANCE what so ever. I have a mortagage and pay all my bills on time. I have been doing a 40 hours week (I have just put in a request to reduce this to 37.5 hours as like you I didn't feel I had my family work balance right for my child, as he only has one parent) plus commute of 30 minutes each way. I can't say I partucularly like my job as since becoming a mum, I've had to take big leaps backward in my career. (at least you like your job) I also run a car.

I make sure I get quality time with my son daily, even though the moment I get home I have to cook our dinner, I do get to read to him, and spend time with him and after he's gone to bed I get an evening all to myself. I spend my weekends with my son. I have enough money to buy what we need, save and take us out on fun days out.

Can you understand why I find it hard to follow how you are in such a hard position? If you are on so much more money than me, why is your life not as good as mine? You don't have childcare costs, if your rents to high you can just move, it should be so easy for you.

I can only conclude it is your job, if its your commute maybe you should consider moving closer to where you work as you say you are in rented accomodation. Or change your job as you aren't a single mum, you are not restricted by childcare hours and you can travel if necessary, you should be able to find a more suitible job easily.

Go get your CVon Monster and sort out yourself out.
  • BennyB_2
    BennyB_2 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    And what a vote catcher that would be. I think there are many people who have never voted Tory in their lives but would seriously consider it if that was an election promise. With WTC it's become easier to maintain a work life balance yet some people simply don't want to work

Would you really want to employ or work with someone who doesn't want to be there? I can imagine it could be quite disruptive and bad for business. :confused:
  • Petal_3
    Petal_3 Posts: 779 Forumite
    Options
    I'm assuming that Glenn is a troll...

but if this is indeed a genuine question, I can only think of one word....

Integrity!

~x~
    Owned by [STRIKE]4[/STRIKE] 4 cats: 2 x Maine coon cross males, 1 x Pixie Bob male and[STRIKE] 2[/STRIKE] 1 x Norwegian Forest male....cute!

R.I.P Darling Jackson 11/7/09 - 15/1/10 :(
    Miss u sweetie... :heart:
  • dearbarbie
    Options
    BennyB wrote: »
    Would you really want to employ or work with someone who doesn't want to be there? I can imagine it could be quite disruptive and bad for business. :confused:

I think that in all fairness, a lot less people would work given the choice. I personally would get bored if I didn't, but if I gave up work I would volunteer my time instead.

But do you think it's fair for the rest of us to pay for these people to live?
    :A
  • filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Options
    Troll time again :rolleyes:

At some point in the future I'll have to give up work for good, because I've got a genuine disability. I'm not looking forward to the day when I can't work and I'm stuck at home doing nothing. As long as I'm reasonably well I intend to make the most of it, and that includes working. Speaking as someone who is genuinely disabled I think it's sick and twisted that someone would fake a disability because they think it's more fun to stay at home. You should be grateful for your good health. It's people like that who give genuine claimants a bad name.

I've got terminal cancer yet I still work every day for £15K gross, but someone on £30K is whining because they don't have enough time to do the DIY? Get a ****ing grip, you have it easy.
  • Sugarcubed
    Sugarcubed Posts: 473 Forumite
    Options
    What exactly are your outgoings every month on a £30k salary, if you are renting a council house? Are you using notes instead of toilet paper?
    ** Mummy to little Jenna born on 23/12/07 **
    Pigsback - £11.25 (£30 cashed!) •
    • Valued opinions - £5.75 (£0.25 pending) •
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    :heartpuls :heartpuls :heartpuls
  • Hippychick
    Hippychick Posts: 738 Forumite
    Options
    filigree wrote: »
    Troll time again :rolleyes:

At some point in the future I'll have to give up work for good, because I've got a genuine disability. I'm not looking forward to the day when I can't work and I'm stuck at home doing nothing. As long as I'm reasonably well I intend to make the most of it, and that includes working. Speaking as someone who is genuinely disabled I think it's sick and twisted that someone would fake a disability because they think it's more fun to stay at home. You should be grateful for your good health. It's people like that who give genuine claimants a bad name.

I've got terminal cancer yet I still work every day for £15K gross, but someone on £30K is whining because they don't have enough time to do the DIY? Get a ****ing grip, you have it easy.

Agree wholeheartedly with this, I too am disabled and in pain every day with severe rheumatoid arthritis, I may not be able to walk in a few years time yet I still work full time, why? I have self respect and like the status that being employed gives me, plus if I had to cope on incapacity benefits it would be dire, my salary pays for what I want to do it is my money which I have earned not some govt handout which should only be available to those who deserve it not wasters like the OP.

CC debt at 8/7/13 - £12,186.17
    Barclaycard £11,027.58
    Halifax £1,158.59
    5 year plan to live unsecured debt free and move home
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business