Flush by 30?

Options

Comments

• JWPopps
    JWPopps Posts: 341 Forumite
    Options
    Hi bobarella I am a little worried about that myself... very selfishly I'm looking forward to her moving out, not because I don't enjoy her company or love her but because I lived on my own for 8 years before now, and I miss it very much.

BUT I don't want her living beyond her means and being unhappy again. I'd like her to stay close to me (if a house came up on my street in her budget I'd be delighted) but she really wants to be out in the country, not in a terraced house.

She's recently had a knee replacement, I'm hoping that renewed mobility might cheer her up and make her feel more optimistic about the world in general. Then maybe she wouldn't feel the need to buy so much? We'll see.
    Mortgage: £83,000
    Credit Card Debt: £1,700
    Loan Debt: £3,000

• Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Oh I do hope so. But maybe a quick chat with her GP would allow you to express your worries? They should care about MH issues as much as physical.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • JWPopps
    Options
    That's a really good idea, I'll bear that in mind and see what we can do... :)

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,286 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi JWP, does your mum work, if not would she be up for being in charge of a menu plan with a budget to stick to? Get her in the habit before she moves out. You're a fab daughter to be so caring about your mum I hope she appreciates it.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • JWPopps
    Options
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    Hi JWP, does your mum work, if not would she be up for being in charge of a menu plan with a budget to stick to? Get her in the habit before she moves out. You're a fab daughter to be so caring about your mum I hope she appreciates it.

She does work, but only part time at the moment - I think part of her unhappiness is because she was made redundant from a job she had been in many years and then went a whole year without work, so she took that hard emotionally. She's really good at what she does, but also she was in pain from her arthritis so I feel like she might be at the bottom of a cliff and maybe now can start climbing it.

She hates budgets. She honestly doesn't understand why I give all my money a job at the start of every month... the thing is she used to be on really good money and now she isn't, so that's a learning curve for her.

Thanks for your kind words, I'm not sure she always sees it that way, but we do try to help each other out so she must have done something right with me! (Although she didn't really raise me, my dad did).

Anyway, Merry Christmas everyone! I read 3 books yesterday which was bliss, and today I've watched 3 films, been spoiled rotten by family and friends and eaten FAR too much dinner. But it was lovely. Definitely need to get back on my eating well after today...

Hope everyone else has had a lovely day too xx :beer:

• Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Wow 3 books in a day, that's going some. Glad you've had a relaxing time.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • JWPopps
    Options
    Ah it was lovely. I can't complain - Christmas Eve was super relaxing, and Christmas Day as full of food and peach bellinis.

I am very lucky to have lots of generous family and friends. I am now awash with scented candles and bath products (and there's a sign of getting older, I'm no longer disappointed by bath gift sets and instead I'm always thinking about how much money that saves me...) and I got the curtains I wanted for my living room from my adorable gran, and my expensive face creams from my mum. We basically exchanged expensive face creams, since I got hers for her...

Last night my auntie had a family party, which is a tradition and a lovely one at that. All my favourite cousins were there, including the one who lives at the nether edge of the country now. She's my oldest friend as well as a cousin, so we always do a late present opening. I got her some Writers Tears whiskey and a little plant pot shaped like an animal that suck up water through its 'tongue'. She got me a beautiful set of short story collections called Life, Love and Loss. She knows me very well :heartsmil

I go to my boyfriend's in 2 days, and will stay with him for a week as we usually have a '2nd Christmas' (like hobbits and breakfasts...) on New Years' Day, and then he will be 31 early in January so I like to be there for that.

In terms of spending, I have not needed to spend a single penny since Friday 23rd December. Admittedly, this was only possible because of my mum's mammoth food shop, but I'm looking for silver linings here. She does seem to realise it was extravagant, and is now talking about ways to make what we have stretch (which shouldn't be a problem because the freezer is still full).

Also, my home insurance payment went out today, and what was absolutely lovely was that I noticed in my account that £17.05 had gone out - which means my 'giving every penny a job' method is working, and I still have enough to pay the rest of my bills without going into my overdraft. As long as Mum behaves herself with the grocery shop, anyway.

Today I am going to try for a better internet deal, because Sky have put my bill up to £24.90 a month, and as I'm already with EE for my phone I might be able to get a good deal with them... :j

• JWPopps
    Options
    I hope everyone has a lovely New Year! I am at my boyfriend's house in Manchester, and today would have marked the 8th NSD if not for the £8 jumper I bought him in the Peacocks sale. Well, it is his birthday in a couple of days.

We're having 'our' Christmas tomorrow, and in the meantime I'm sat next to him as he plays video games and I am typing up a bit of a project. 40,000 words and counting...

So, let's see what 2017 brings!!

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,286 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Happy New Year, let's hope 2017 is a good year for us all :)
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi JWPopps - just read your diary through and have subscribed.

Good to hear that your mum has begun to realise she may be too extravagant with the food bill! You seem eminently sensible though with good goals and a kind heart. She is very lucky to have you.

All the best for a MSE New Year and enjoy your "second" Christmas with your boyfriend.
    SSG x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income