PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Little_Belle
    Options
    Plase put me down for £200 again for Feb :) - was a bit off target last month as we moved house, so had a few takeaways :S felt guilty - but felt soo good lol :)
    Muddling through debt but can't see any light at the end of the tunnel??!! :confused:
  • sazzledazzle
    Options
    Spent £3.40 on some chicken, bottle of pepsi and some cream to make strogonoff.
    MAY NSD's

• russetred
    russetred Posts: 1,334 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Trixie B we put every penny saved towards a big hol every 2 years.We also save our tesco clubcard deals towards it too,which makes a big dent in the price.2010 we hope to make it to Mombasa, Kenya so all savings go in "Mombe the holiday pig".
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • elly2
    elly2 Posts: 556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Today will be a nsd for me , i have £45 left from our £60 after picking up some bits yesterday which included 18 toilet rolls (which should last the month) and a huge bag of cat litter(which i hope will last well into next week) i got the veg for yesterdays tea and milk, yogurts and some deodarant etc etc for the girls. there is still some pork left over from yesterday which will go into a curry for the girls and me and the lo's will have chicken in garlic sauce and rice which i already have in so just need to find something for tomorrow's tea out of the freezer
  • TrixieB
    TrixieB Posts: 704 Forumite
    Options
    Spent £1.98 in Burger King on a coffee and an orange juice - they have a soft play area in there which is free for customers, and worked out cheaper to do that and buy drinks than pay bus fare and entry to soft play in town :) Need to update my siggy.

Thanks for the Aldi 6 - I will be in town tomorrow right next door to there so will stock up :)

Got MR T coming tonight, wanted it on Thursday but figured it's mostly stuff for freeer anyway, so saved a couple £ on cheaper delivery ;) just as well really as we are due bad snow tonight and they might not have got through!
    Trying very hard to be frugal and OS - just plodding on and doing my best!
    :money: :money:
    :money:
  • elizabunny
    elizabunny Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Options
    Afternoon everyone. Hope you are all warm and well. A NSD for me today as there seems to be plenty in the cupboards for the time being. Today we are having some more of my HM Veg Soup with HM Crusty Bread, a cheese and mushroom omlette( grew the mushrooms myself from one of those kits:j ) I'll make some wedgies to go with this -may have salad as well.

I'm trying out a new loaf in the BM at the moment, with oats and golden syrup in it. I was supposed to put in 14.5fl oz water but the dough seemed really heavy and the BM was banging around, so I tipped in a little more water -not sure how this will turn out now but it smells nice.

All this cold weather just makes me want to make lots of comfort foods -not sure this a such a good idea:o but it's a good excuse. Still it will be nice when we can start growing all our veggies and salad again. I've a few rows coming up in the greenhouse (unheated), but the cold weather is slowing everthing up so nothing to pick yet to help with the grocery budget.

Have a good day everyone!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hi we are all in the house today....sons school shut ...hes happy with that we had a bargain lunch hm pizza that i worked out cost about 10p per portion....if anyone likes pepperoni (my son does) i found it on the deli in sainsburys and asked for 5 slices (for his bit of pizza) and it came to 12p...bargain and he said it was good...we are having roast turkey for tea i think with savory rice .....i got some when it was 5 for £1 in asda so quite cheap...ive never been much for stock piling as i really like shopping and so in the past have ended up with stupid amounts of things iv then forgotten iv got so now i buy bits .....but with the ridiculous price hikes on a weekly basis i think i might have to start buying a few things when they seem cheap...i bought a stash of tesco curry for 4p a can and jnow it is 15p still cheap but a big price hike....i wonder why the supermarkets put the prices up and down like a game of food hokey cokey (up down as apposed to in out iyswim)

thanks for comments on actifry.....im still thinking about wether to splash the cash but will post if i get one and its any good......have a nice day tess
    onwards and upwards
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    did jacket pots cheese and beans for lunch so that was pretty cheap;) , tonight planning on making pizza dough in the bm but that will mean i'll need to get some mushrooms and possibly toms so might be forced to spend a bit but its still a cheap filling meal. i'm still on track for coming in on budget this week, as ive got eggs etc and can make some more muffins and weetabix cakes for afters.

question for cooks.
    what is buttermilk please? i came across it in a recipie for christmas muffins (looks a nice way to use up mincemeat but it says i need buttermilk,) cant say i've noticed it in any shops and wondered if full fat milk was another name for it or if its something else entirely.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • TrixieB
    TrixieB Posts: 704 Forumite
    Options

question for cooks.
    what is buttermilk please? i came across it in a recipie for christmas muffins (looks a nice way to use up mincemeat but it says i need buttermilk,) cant say i've noticed it in any shops and wondered if full fat milk was another name for it or if its something else entirely.

Found this out for you - To make buttermilk, use 1 cup milk and 1 tablespoon lemon juice or white vinegar.

Or you can use plain yogurt I believe?

HTH
    Trying very hard to be frugal and OS - just plodding on and doing my best!
    :money: :money:
    :money:
  • mummyyof5
    mummyyof5 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Options
    Well another NSD for me today due to weather,will be having Spag Bog for tea as I have ran out of veg:eek: bad planning that one but apart from peas my family dont like frozen veg,we dont have any local shops (our nearest are 5 miles away).
    Will be going to MRM tomorrow as my OH is on tour Thursday till Monday so need to stock up on enough milk etc to last till he gets back,I dont drive so everything I need has to be carried on the back of the buggy when he is away,dont mind but milk is so heavy and with 7 of us we get through loads.
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure