Thundershirt for dogs scared of fireworks

Options
Does anyone use these? My dog is petrified of fireworks, but I've looked up the cost for this coat and it's £35 which is fine if it actually works.

Just looks like an ordinary coat to me.

The pills don't seem to have any effect on my dog.
Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
(End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
(End 2022) - Target £116,213.81

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I do know people who really rate them - thankfully mine are oblivious of fireworks so I have never used them myself. The big difference to a normal coat is that they wrap quite tight so the dog feels like they are being protected. You can achieve a similar effect with a tight t shirt if you have something the right size and can get it on and keep it there.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mine couldn't care less about fireworks, either, butI too have known people have success with a close fitting T shirt.

Another suggestion is to get a dog used to the noise by playing the sounds at a low level and gradually increasing the volume as each level is tolerated. (you can find recordings on the internet).
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A snug fitting tshirt might be just a good.. Depending on the size of your dog a child's tshirt might do.

The principal is it is like having a hug.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What pills have you tried?
  • minimad1970
    minimad1970 Posts: 6,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The thundershirt didn't work for my dog. There's lots of pages online showing how to use bandages, which would be a lot cheaper. https://www.cuteness.com/article/wrap-dogs-treat-anxiety

I use Bach's Rescue remedy for my dog, the only problem is it takes 10 minutes or so to work.
  • helcat26
    helcat26 Posts: 1,119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Looked these up after reading your post. my goodness you can get them for cats as well! I can only imagine the bloodshed if I tried to get our cat in one of those.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    edited 10 October 2016 at 1:40AM
    Options
    Almost all cases of animals being scared of fireworks are human derived. I've taken dogs (temporarily) away from people who proclaim they are terrified of fireworks only to find they don't even bat an eye lid when away from owners.

If you're scared of fireworks yourself then you will be teaching your dog that they're something to be fearful of. And he/she may even bark protectively, sensing you're concerned.

Acting out of character and making a fuss (by wrapping dogs up in stupid shirts) only compounds the problem.

Dogs take their lead from their owners. If you're not worried then neither will they be.
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I know someone whose dog is terrified of fireworks. A thunder shirt did not work for them.

Personally I would try desensitising the dog. Play a video of a firework display and gradually increase the sound.

I did that with my dog and while it was playing I would be saying "Ooooh what's that funny noise" and stroking him or giving him a treat. I did it with fireworks and some other noises - lorries, hoover etc. Worked for me
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • chris_n_tj
    chris_n_tj Posts: 2,659 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you buy one from Pets at Home and it doesn't work you can take it back for a full refund. They don't quibble either. Worth a try in my view I know many that have had good results using them. x
    RIP TJ. You my be gone, but never forgotten. Always in our hearts xxx
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader.
    He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
  • Mupette
    Mupette Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Almost all cases of animals being scared of fireworks are human derived. I've taken dogs (temporarily) away from people who proclaim they are terrified of fireworks only to find they don't even bat an eye lid when away from owners.

If you're scared of fireworks yourself then you will be teaching your dog that they're something to be fearful of. And he/she may even bark protectively, sensing you're concerned.

Acting out of character and making a fuss (by wrapping dogs up in stupid shirts) only compounds the problem.

Dogs take their lead from their owners. If you're not worried then neither will they be.

I love fireworks. my dog is still petrified by them.
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills